Wednesday 20 December 2017

My favourite Marvel superhero stories

With me talking little about comics lately, I thought I'd talk about my favourite stories relating to different Marvel heroes. This will obviously have stories I've spoken about before and so I'll pretty much be saying the same thing for some of those. Others, though, I thought it would be a good idea to talk about other graphic novels I love that I haven't spoken about and want to explain why I like them so much. And so, let's begin and I hope you all like this.
Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt:

Starting us off is Spider-Man. As said in my top 10 Marvel stories in October, the reason this graphic novel is so good is because of how well it portrays both Spider-Man and Kraven. And I especially like how, even though this is a Spider-Man story, it's still really, really dark. And seeing how Spider-Man is one of the more lighter and more fun Marvel characters ever, that's saying something. And it's great that Kraven, who's considered kind of a silly Spider-Man villain, is actually driven to more darker places himself and I like that.
Iron Man: Extremis:

So, far a lot of you, I'm sure for Iron Man, you were most likely hoping to see Demon in a Bottle because it's the most popular Iron Man story, and, while, yes, that is a really good Iron Man story too, Extremis is my personal favourite. When Tony gets nanotes which causes the suit to be part of him, he begin to realise that he's also becoming part of the suit too. This story also has some of the best art I've ever seen in a graphic novel and some of the best action I've ever seen in any kind of comic book. What they touch on here was a huge inspiration for the Iron Man movies. Especially Iron Man 3.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier:

The inspiration for the second Captain America movie of the same name, this has Cap fighting the mysterious assassin known as the Winter Soldier and so now he has to track him down and stop him. However, as he gets closer, he finds out it's actually his old friend who he thought was dead, Bucky Barnes. Now Cap has an even bigger challenge, especially seeing how his enemy is his old best friend. Ed Brubaker's script is always surprising and the ending is something you wouldn't believe.
Thor: The Surtur Saga:

I haven't actually read a ton of Thor comics, but, out of all the ones I have read, the Surtur Saga is by far my favourite. When Surtur attacks Asgard, Thor teams up with Loki and Odin in order to save everyone. Even with so much going on, Walt Simonson still manages to get tons of character into it and is obviously really funny. And, if you ever read it, you can see the inspiration this year's Thor: Ragnarok took from this.
Hulk: World War Hulk:

This was a bit of a toss up for me when it came to the Hulk stories, because, for me, it really came down to either this or Planet Hulk. But, when I thought about it more, I thought about the one I had more fun reading, and, for me, this is that one. This actually takes place right after Planet Hulk where Hulk is sent into Space by the Illuminati and lands on a planet called Sakaar where he begins to live a peaceful life, but when he thinks the Marvel heroes have destroyed it, that's where World War Hulk happens and Hulk returns to Earth to get revenge. From there, it's Hulk and his Sakaar friends trying to fight the heroes. Like what I said before, what I like about this is how much fun it is and how much it embraces the fact that, since it's a comic book, it can be as crazy as it wants. And trust me, the lengths this story goes, it is so crazy. Especially the final fight between Hulk and Sentry, which is also one of my favourite comic book fights ever. With tons of action in the story and great interactions, this is easily Hulk's most smashing story.
Daredevil: Born Again:

As said before, not just by me, but by a lot of Marvel fans, Born Again is one of Frank Miller's best works ever and one of the best, if not, the best Marvel graphic novel ever. Not my personal favourite, but still. Kingpin discovers Daredevil's secret identity and uses it to ruin his life. With Matt now trying to stop him, it takes the work of a real hero to get back up and face his enemy no matter what. And that's what this story shows so well. The fact that no matter how much a hero gets beat down, he can get up no matter what obstacle may be lying ahead. And this story does an excellent job with taking it's time to show this and give us amazing action and emotion. And this is the best representation I've ever seen Daredevil in comics.
Wolverine: Weapon X:

While Old Man Logan is the more praised Wolverine story, for me, that goes to the original 1991 story by Barry Windsor-Smith. Finally giving fans all the answers they wanted about their favourite member of the X-Men, Weapon X is a truly gruesome tale with tons of blood and even kinda scary images in almost every page. With Wolverine being shown getting taken apart and getting graphed with Adamantium throughout his entire skeleton, this story keeps getting more and more enthralling. I'm not saying too much because I already did in my top 10 Marvel stories, so, just read that if you haven't to get my full thoughts and to know what it's about. Overall, it's super interesting and great to read if you've always been interested to know about the origin of the Adamantium inside Wolverine.
X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga:

Crowned by many to be, not just the greatest X-Men story ever, but also one of the great Marvel stories ever. Remember when I said before about how these comic stories really like to shows how crazy it can really be, but, they never go too far with it and they tell a great story with it too. And with the lengths it'll go for with that is really cool. The Dark Phoenix Saga is also just a ton of fun and it's kind of a different turn for comics from back then with it being kinda dark and showing a key member of the X-Men dying.
Fantastic Four: 1234:

While the Fantastic Four haven't had the best luck with movies so far, the same can't be said about the comics they originate from. And this is by far their best story. When Doctor Doom uses a his powers to turn the Thing back to Ben Grimm back to normal, the team begins to fight amongst each other as a plan set up by the evil doctor. Hoping they'll do this, Doctor Doom has a plan with a reality altering machine. The Fantastic Four's writing is at it best here, and, while we haven't seen a good Fantastic Four movie, now that Marvel has the rights to them back, if they give them a movie in the M.C.U, hopefully they can use this graphic novel's story. Especially since it helps with showing how good these characters really are.
Avengers: Civil War:

And finishing us off is the Avengers with my favourite graphic novel and comic book story of all time, Civil War. I've already talked about this a ton of times before so I don't know what else to say. It's a super well told story with super interesting topics that has the best art I've ever seen in a graphic novel and the best action too. And it was cool they sorta did a different conflict for the heroes. It wasn't hero vs. villain. It was hero vs. hero. And, so, you want my full thoughts on it, read ,y top 10 Marvel graphic novels list. And so everyone, those are my favourite Marvel superhero stories. Thank you all for reading, I hope you all like this and please comment down below to tell me what you think or, if you've read any Marvel stories, comment to tell me what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment