Friday 17 June 2016

10 Disney Renaissance movies ranked

These are the 10 Disney movies that were part of the original Disney Renaissance that ran from 1989 to 1999, beginning with The Little Mermaid and ending with Tarzan and here I'm ranking all 10 right now. Also, this is going to be my opinion so keep that in mind when you see 1 thing in a different place then where you'd usually see it in peoples lists. Anyway, let's begin.
10. Pocahontas (1995): Not that this film is bad, but it's just bland, dull, predictable, uninteresting and has characters who are boring and not that fun to watch. This film was a bomb by critics and audiences. It did O.K at the Box office, but I doubt many people thought it was even worth it.
9. Tarzan (1999): The film that was made the same year as me, is also probably one of the darkest Disney movies of all time and yeah I already explained why before. They also went all out when it came to how they should animate the characters, especially Tarzan himself who does a lot of creative stuff like when he's doing things like surfing the trees or swinging on the vines. It even has probably the most terrifying Disney climax ever and the most terrifying Disney death with Clayton getting hung and Kerchak getting shot. If you don't those two thing the least "disturbing" and creepy, then I don't know what to tell ya.
8. Mulan (1998): Taking a sort of different approach from Disney's usual animated movies, Mulan uses a lot of different techniques in it that makes it very unique than their usual movies. You can definitely tell that, just by the different style of animation, that they tried something different. The animation, as you can easily guess is supposed to be like those old Chinese pictures you'd see in anything like that or something. But even just taking the animation out of it, it's all just a fun movie overall. Hands down, the best part of it is Eddy Murphy as Mushu. Eddy Murphy is one of my favourite comedians and he is fantastic in this role. This movie also has probably the most underrated villain in all of Disney with Shan Yu. He's dark, he's threatening and the fact that he doesn't have many lines I think makes him even more intimidating. And even though I wouldn't say Mulan herself is the best Disney protagonist, she's still entertaining and is fun to follow along with and she is still a good protagonist.
7. The Rescuers Down Under (1990): Most definitely the most underrated Disney movie ever said by a lot of people like me. This movie was apparently a huge let down at the box office back in 1990. But thankfully more people are getting to watch it and there's a good reason for that, because it's an amazing movie and one o the best adventure movies to come out of Disney. I would say that the reason this movie probably doesn't get enough recognition is because it is the sequel to a really mediocre and bland first movie. But that's no reason to not really see it. It's incredible and, yeah, again, this was released the same year as my older sister was born too. And who knows, it may even get so much attention, people might consider it to be one of their favourites like Animat has said before in a video of his.
6. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996): Probably the darkest Disney Classic of all time, 1996's the Hunchback of Notre Dame has a lot of things going for it. While it may not have a fantastic score on Rotten Tomatoes or IMDb, there are those people who absolutely love this movie and grew up on it like the Nostalgia Critic, Animat and even my brother and sister. It has phenomenal things all over the place. One of the best villains with Frollo, one of best protagonists with Quasimodo, some of Disney best and most realistic animation, some of the most darkest themes in all of Disney, all sorts of things for adults and things only adults would understand, great looking locations and colours and even some hilarious characters with the three gargoyles. And while it does have some very sad parts in it and a really intense climax, it also has it's happy and satisfying ending where Quasimodo finally gets accepted among the people. It also has the best villain song I've ever heard in my life with Frollo singing Hellfire.
5. Hercules (1997): One of my most nostalgic Disney movies ever is at number 5. While I am nostalgic with a lot of these movies, I would say this is probably the biggest on this list next to the Lion King. With amazing animation, fun and entertaining characters and a very creative climax, Ron Clements and John Musker's 3rd Disney Renaissance movie and their 4th Disney movie is one that I'm sure will be remembered by every Disney fan for years to come.
4. The Little Mermaid (1989): The Disney movie that started this whole Disney Renaissance. Not only does this movie relive Disney again but it also stands on it's own as a great and entertaining movie. It has some of my favourite kind of animation in all of Disney and some of the best well-known ones. And while many fans take a huge issue with Ariel herself, I don't mind her. I like her and I'm glad with the way they handled her. As well as all these characters and the songs which are also some of the best of all of Disney songs ever and it was a brilliant move to make this film start this whole Renaissance off.
3. Beauty and the Beast (1991): After watching this a lot of times recently, I absolutely loved this movie. Originally I thought I was good but I didn't entirely understand why everyone made it sound like it was an absolute huge masterpiece. But after watching a lot more times recently, I can now say I completely love this movie. I don't know if it's one of my favourite Disney movies but now I understand why people love it. It has great animation, great characters, great songs, great writing and great everything. While I originally didn't entirely care for the movie and thought it was really overrated, I now understand that it deserves all the praise it gets and is now probably, and yes, I'm just saying probably, meaning might, be one of my absolute favourite Disney movies ever.
2. Aladdin (1992): Get this as well, this movie actually came out the same year as my older brother was born too. There are so many amazing things in this movie. It has the best Disney comic relief, one of the best climaxes in Disney's history, some of it's biggest laughs, one of the best Disney villains with Jafar and unbelievably amazing colours everywhere. I find that impressive for 1992 and all of it still holds up amazingly well today. Even some of the more adult jokes in it. And it's just plain out entertaining the whole way through. And Jon Musker and Ron Clements were the perfect directors to lead this along with the Little Mermaid and I can't wait to see what they bring to this year's Moana.
1. The Lion King (1994): Was there any doubt? Of course the highest grossing 2-D animated movie of all time is obviously number 1. With arguably some of the best animation in all of Disney, some of the best characters, songs, message, size and entertainment. I think this is nostalgic for a lot of people. And there's a good reason for that. Because this is an absolutely terrific and amazing movie. It also has so many of Disney's best an quotable lines. Timon and Pumbaa help a lot with that if you know what I mean. And, as I said before in an earlier entry, I really, really, really like the spin-off TV show it got this year, the Lion Guard. I really like that show. And it also has a great sequel. Yeah, the Lion King is one of those rare instances where it has a good Disney sequel with The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride. And when I say it's rare, I mean the kind that actually not made by Disney. Of course The Rescuers: Down Under is the best Disney animated sequel. But that movie is made by Disney but a lot of other Disney movies do have sequels but they're mostly just bad like the Mulan sequel, the two Cinderella sequels, the Peter Pan sequel, the 101 Dalmatians sequel and a few others. I actually do like the Jungle Book 2 but the rest just aren't very good. And yes, I do know Fantasia 2000 and yes that is a sequel but that is also made by Disney and is a classic. Anyway, back to the Lion King. And it has so many things that you practically just have to love about it. And so everyone, that was my ranking of all 10 original Disney Renaissance movies. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below and tell me how you would rank them.

No comments:

Post a Comment