Friday 24 October 2014

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Well having Pocahontas ruin the big grossing 2-D animated Disney films forever I would say choosing a serious dark, scary, creepy and depressing story such as Hunchback of Notre Dame I say was I pretty good idea given the fact that they do it so spectacularly in this version. But with that said I do think this is probably the last Disney film you would want the whole family considering like I just said it's by far the most darkest and depressing out of all Disney family films. So what's the story. A deformed hunchback named "Quasimodo" lives in the bell tower of Notre Dame. He's looked after by a man named "Frollo." Quasimodo just wants to go out into the streets and be accepted like anyone else. And during the Fest of Fools which is a celebration of the Gypsies he get's his chance. And not only is he accepted by he's also celebrated, people love how strange he looks and start having fun with him. It's not 'til the crowd actually turns on him and begin torturing him. But a Gypsy witch named "Esmeralda" goes to save him. But it turns out Frollo is actually in love with her and wants to do everything he can to get her no matter what it takes. However in the original book she's accused of a crime here he's accused from Witch-Craft. So between Frollo wanting her, Quasimodo wanting her and there's also another person named "Phoebus" who is also is wanting her. So what's good about this movie? Well first off the animation is different looking and with what they did with Notre Dame, it looked and so life-like. Even the character animation is spectacular. Let's also look at the characters. Quasimodo himself is a very likable character. He's definitely my favourite character. He's kind, he's gentle, he's light-hearted and even when he was being tortured by the crowd he wasn't really wishing he could get out and attack everyone. Esmeralda is a good character too. She's just like Quasimodo with her being kind and nice and that's the exact same as Phoebus. But then there is FROLLO. Oh my god Frollo is such an awesome, amazing villain. He does all the dreadful things that a lot of the other Disney villains do but what he does and the way he does it is what makes him such a despicable villain. While I've said Quasi is my favourite character I guess Frollo is my favourite character who isn't a good guy, if you know what I mean? I'd say that "Tony Jay," the actor who played him is by far the best actor in the whole film. Even during the song sequence "Hellfire" he manages to do a really great performance. I would say that the best part of the movie is definitely the climax. The animation is just spectacular. Watch these scenes.
It's just great. Though unfortunately the film wasn't big hit at the box office when it first came out in 1996. However it did get a bigger and better audience over the years. As Disney films go it's definitely one of the darkest and probably one of the ones that took the most risks. I know technically from most Disney films go it's not one of the best ones and not really close, but for what it is it is a really good film. I wouldn't recommend all of it but if you do I would give the heads-up of keeping a close eye on some children watching it because it contains some of the most horrific and unnatural things you'd see from a Disney film. I mean they use the word Hell and there are apparently some sex references not to mention scenes involving lust and some really unpleasant scenes. But for what it is I would say watch it and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment