Sunday 20 June 2021

Luca

And so, everyone, we've arrived at the latest Pixar movie that was added to Disney+ the other day, Luca. This was one that I honestly wasn't excited for all that much despite being a huge Pixar and Disney fan. The trailers looked fine but didn't impress me all that much, but I was at least still curious to check it out. And, I didn't watch any reviews for it before watching because I didn't want to know anything about people's general thoughts. And, in the end, I thought this movie was very... okay. That's really the best I can say about this but this film didn't really impress me in any way. It wasn't bad at all and there were more good than bad, but, overall, I didn't like this that much. Also, I'm not gonna do a spoiler section for this because I'm just gonna have all my thoughts out immediately, but I still won't spoil anything about any big plot points. So, what's the story? It's about a sea monster named Luca who's a small boy. When he gets curious about wanting to explore the land but his family forbids it thinking it's dangerous on land. That is until he meets another sea monster like him named Alberto who goes on land all the time and whenever they do, they turn into humans. So, Luca and Alberto decide to explore a town called Portorosso and meet a girl there named Giulia and then she begins to teach them about the land while they're trying to hide the fact that they're sea monsters. So, obviously, right off the bat, easily the best part of this is definitely the animation. You expect a film from Pixar to look top tier these days and that's still true here. It's a gorgeous movie and the acting is of course fantastic. It's certainly not a bad movie and it does have some good things in it, but, that's about it for the positives. Now, let's get into my problems. First, there's nothing in this that feels original. As a Pixar movie, you expect there to be tons of originality and have a lot of memorable moments. But, for the most part, this film is mostly really generic. It follows a similar story to other things and I didn't find there was anything in this that was investing at all. So, unlike a film like Raya And The Last Dragon earlier this year, this didn't hold my interest that much. And, since the film didn't hold my interest that much, it felt like a bit of a drag to get through this and it's never a good thing when you feel like you're just getting through a movie and not watching it because you're enjoying it. I also found the goal of the movie to be weird. I won't spoil it, but there's a point where Luca and Alberto decide they want to do a specific thing and I was kinda under the impression that was just gonna be something small for the film and something bigger was gonna happen, but there wasn't. That really was what the big goal of the film was and that was weird to me. Also, while I didn't dislike any of the characters, they also didn't have anything that new to them and they felt really clichéd a lot of the time. There wasn't anything new to them and they just kept falling under a bunch of clichés. Especially the villain of the film named Ercole who's just some random bully in the town who's just a clichéd bully. There's also a lot of plotholes in the film that didn't make any sense whatsoever and the film gets into it's main story really, really quickly. Like I said in some other review before. You expect a Pixar film, or just any film, to be set up in the beginning where we know who these characters are and what they do, but they skip a lot of that in the beginning and just get into Luca going up to the surface really, really quickly. There's also some plot points that go nowhere. Like there's a set up with Luca towards the beginning and it never goes anywhere afterwards and the ending doesn't feel that satisfying and it has a pretty generic ending too. I know I'm probably being too harsh on this film because it's not a bad movie at all, but when a studio like Pixar has high stands of expectations with their films and they make something average like this, that's a big disappointment in my opinion. And, really, I don't see this as a film I want to watch again after the first viewing. Which is sad because, like you all know, I a gigantic Pixar fanboy and I usually love their films, but I just didn't find this to be anything exceptional. It really didn't hit me in the same way as their other films, and especially not in the way Raya did in March. So, yeah, that's really it. I know this review wasn't super long, but I didn't have that much to say about it because there really wasn't much to this in my opinion. So, really, overall, if you're interested, I would say watch it, it's not a complete waste of time, but it's also not one of the best Pixar movies ever and I don't think I'd watch it again. So, yeah, that's my review of Luca. Thank you all for watching and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment