Monday 13 March 2023

Grave Of The Fireflies

So out of every single Studio Ghibli movie out there, this one right here is probably the most infamous, but I mean that in a good way. Out of every Ghibli movie, this one is the all time darkest. Whenever you hear people talking about this film, they'll tell you how absolutely depressing and powerful it is and how it's probably one of the saddest anime's of all time. And, yeah, they're right, this film is so emotional and depressing on so many levels and deals with some incredibly dark subjects. I think it's especially impressive since this was made in 1988 and they really touched on some really heatbreaking stuff. It's kind of a war movie set in World War 2, but it doesn't focus on the war, it focuses on a brother and sister named Seita and Setsuko who's mother is killed by bombs and now they need to live with their aunt but that eventually begins to fall apart as she gets annoyed with the two of them around and feeling like they don't deserve a whole bunch of food, but, Seita decides to take Setsuko and try to live on their own, but that begins to fall apart quickly too as they find it's incredibly difficult, especially given the circumstances of the war. So, I guess the main thing I like about this is that this is easily the most realistic Ghibli movie. A lot of the Studio Ghibli movies are set in different kinds of world with different kinds of creatures around, but here, it's just all realism with these two trying to survive in a traumatising setting and trying to survive. I think what makes it even more depressing is that the opening actually shows the two of them dead and the rest of the movie is a flashback to show how it happened, so immediately, you watch this wanting things to go right when you know they're not going to. So, you're seeing Seita trying to be mature and grown up and independant and responsible while all these horrible things are happening and you an really sympathise with the two of them because this is a super grueling environment that's super realistic and they're trying to survive in it. But you also see them do other things too like just trying to stay somewhat positive too with them in this awful setting. I also love how the animation compliments that because, usually with anime, I know a lot of them to be very flashy and do huge things like that, but, here, it's kept very realistic. Like I said, because this is such a realistic movie, the animation shows that with not doing anything over the top, but being still and letting the characters move like real people. And all that really does show more the gravity of the situation and all that and this is serious issue. I think the characters' personalities reflect this too. Like I said, Seita is trying to be mature and responsible and not need any help with this because he thinks he's up to the task when he's really not and Setsuko still acting like how a small child would act in this position too. But they're never once annoying or unlikeable, you'd almost think Seita would be detestable for letting something like this happen to the two of them, but they do these things in a way that makes them very likeable. I can also see this as another film where some people might be kinda bored because there isn't really that much happening and unlike a lot other Studio Ghibli movies where they're slow paced but are building to something big near the end, this one doesn't really have that. Again, it's just a super realistic slice of life in the middle of a horrible situation and seeing how they try to get through it but you know they're inevitable fate, and I think this kind of movie is the kind that people are gonna have to see at some point in their lives to understand how these situations happened for some people. The dub also helps makes these things all the more heartbreaking. Another sad part is towards the end when Seita learns about the results of the war and sees what happened and he's crushed by it. So, yeah, if you've heard of this movie before, then you know how emotionally devastating it is and I'm glad I finally saw it and understood what people were talking about. Persoanlly, I'm not sure if this is a movie I'd want to watch again. I was glad to see it the first time and see why people said it was so emotional, but I think because of just how emotional it is, I don't think I'd actually wanna see this again, but I am very glad I was able to see it to make this review at least. So, like the others, I would say check this out, but, yeah, be warned that this is a very emotionally crushing movie and not a pleasant experience, but one that I imagine you will be glad you had. So, guys, that's my review of Grave Of The Fireflies. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment