Friday 19 June 2020

The Seven Deadly Sins (Anime Review)

And so, everyone, we've come to the last of these anime reviews for this series of mine, The Seven Deadly Sins. Like Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter and My Hero Academia, I just got into this last year. I knew the whole thing was on Netflix with it being a Netflix original series and I wasn't all that curious to see it until June of last year and so I started watching it. And, as I said in my paintings of the characters entry, the story was so good that I felt it had some of the best writing I had seen in an anime in a long while. And the amount of episodes that're on Netflix right now definitely show that. The manga itself just finished this year a few months ago. And the creator, Nakaba Suzuki, has been doing the story since 2012 and the whole thing ended in March with 41 volumes. I haven't seen the ending, but, before we get to that, let's go over the rest. So, in a fantasy world, we have these knights called the Seven Deadly Sins who were wrongfully accused of a crime many years ago and a kingdom ruled by evil knights called the Holy Knights. One day, the princess of the kingdom, Elizabeth, is out to look for the Seven Deadly Sins to help stop them because she knows it's more than likely that they were framed. She comes across the leader of the group, Meliodas, and the two of them begin to search for the rest of the Sins, along with Meliodas's talking pig, Hawk. So, what I think I immediately liked a lot about the series when I started was the setup for it seemed really interesting and the execution of the whole story is really fascinating. The series is also really funny, easily one of the funniest anime I've seen in a long time. And I like the general story with going on a search with these guys to find the other Sins. It's fun to follow these characters. Meliodas, Elizabeth and Hawk are all likeable, funny and unique with how they're written. And Meliodas is one of funniest anime protagonists I've ever seen. And I like it when they reunite with the other Sins, especially Ban, who's tied with Meliodas with who my favourite character in the series is. They're both hilarious and I love it when they meet up again. Watch.
And I like most of of the other Sins too. Diane, King, Merlin. Not only do they each have something about them that's funny, but they're also so likeable. Anyway, I like the comradery they all have and the way the story continues from that point onward. And once the fight on the kingdom begins, it gets really awesome and really interesting. We get introduced to new characters, we get introduced to demons here and we learn more about the Sins themselves. And I love the way the story keeps going in the kingdom story and we're introduced to new villains like possessed Hendrickson and Dreyfus. And I love the way a lot of story pieces connect together and the way it keeps going like with the explanation when Meliodas saves Elizabeth and her dad. And we get a really awesome action scene with a lot of the characters against Hendrickson. The whole story leading up to that was really great and the buildup was totally worth it. I liked the stuff with the search for the Sins and then the festival was really fun. And then when we get to the kingdom, it's a blast to watch the whole story unfold. Something else the series does well is have some characters be bad and unlikable one moment and then making them really likeable the next. I think a good example is Gilthunder, Hendrickson and Dreyfus. Once they join the heroes, they become incredibly likeable. And I like everything in the first season a lot, some of the best anime writing I've seen in a long time. And it does have some surprising moments as well. Not only with the turns the story takes, but it even has surprises and stakes in the action scenes. Speaking of those action scenes, if you've heard anything about this series before, then you might have heard just how over the top they are. There's not a single bit of subtlety in these fights. And I mean that in a good way, these characters are insanely powerful and have devastating strength. Most of the time, they'll do a simple attack and they'll have so much power behind it. And, basically, the first part of the series is amazing in my opinion and I love a lot of things about it. And then, when we get to the next season, well the next part after that is just some filler, but when we get back into the real story again, it's all really good again, The Revival Of The Ten Commandments. For starters, it starts with the Sins being celebrated for saving the capital and we get introduced to a lot like how the broken sword Meliodas has had with him is actually a key that holds back a whole bunch of demons called the Ten Commandments, which is what he is too. He's also a demon, but one who's good and opposes the Commandments, while also having a bit of a dark side to him. Not only does he have a very traumatic past, but he's also got a power inside him that could obliterate a huge scale really quickly. And I like some of the relationships here. Obviously, there's the friendship they all form, but also some of the actual relationships were nice like Meliodas and Elizabeth. Anyway, I like the way the story is told in Season 2 with the with Ban, Jericho and King going to the Fairy Kingdom, Meliodas and the others going to druids to get stronger to fight the Ten Commandments and then all of them meeting during the Great Fight Festival. But then, rather than all of them fighting the Commandments there, Meliodas begins to fight them himself while the others watch and he gets destroyed. His arm is cut off, he's forced to wield his sword in his mouth, he's almost killed until Ban comes in and so on. But then, he really is killed when Estarossa begins to destroy his hearts. And this part is pretty violent with Estarossa just stabbing swords through his body and destroying his hearts one by one and eventually being able to kill Meliodas. But then it's revealed that his father is a bad guy inside him who's hoping to take over Meliodas's body so he brings him back to life, but it also makes Meliodas uncontrollably more violent. And the rest of the season is really great too. I like the story with Diane going back to the land of giants and we discover her past as well. And all that stuff in the first two seasons were amazing in my opinion. Fantastic writing, character progression, setting and setup. And that's all that's available on Netflix at the moment. However, after that, we get into a super infamous part of the series. The most recent season which has been talked so many times and that's the fact that it's really bad due to horrible animation. And, yeah, I haven't seen the full season, but I've seen bits from it, especially the Meliodas and Escanor fight, and it looks horrendously terrible. I was told that they might reanimate the season, which I'm hoping for and I'm hoping it'll be dubbed and released on Netflix soon because the first two seasons were so good with amazing animation that I would hate to just leave it where it is. So, yeah, that aspect to the series is very damaging to the entire show, but, like I said, I would love to see it reanimated and enjoy the whole season properly. Plus, those first two seasons were so good that I can't help but recommend them at least. And, even if you don't want to because of the new episodes, you can still read the manga, which is useful since it just finished this year as I said. I know it hasn't been translated yet, but still. And everything before those new episodes was all fantastic and I was loving so much of it. So yeah, it's kinda hard to necessarily say you should watch the whole season, but watch whatever you think is best for the series. And I am excited to at least get the manga and see what happens in it. And so, yeah, everyone, that's my review of the Seven Deadly Sins. And, not only that, but this is also my last of my new anime reviews series. I had a great time talking about all of these and I might do another series of anime reviews in the future when I watch more like more of Hunter X Hunter and Black Clover and so on. But, for now, this is the end of these new anime reviews. And so, yeah, everyone, thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment