Saturday 12 August 2023

Elemental

So guys, we're now at the latest Pixar movie and another one I wasn't super excited for, Elemental. This is a lot like Strange World to me where I wasn't really that interested watching the trailers or anything like that and I honestly saw on the last day of its release here. I saw it on Sunday last week and was just curious to see it, especially since, again, like Strange World, the movie was bombing pretty hard at the box office and the little bit of response I was hearing wasn't very positive. So, in the end, what did I think of it? Honestly, it's pretty mcuh the same as my thoughts on Strange World where I honestly didn't like this at all. In a way, I guess, it was somewhat better than Strange World, at least, unlike that movie, I wasn't completely bored to death. It was still pretty boring, but at least I kinda remembered the characters a bit more. But, overall, this was a pretty disappointing film for me. Also, since this has been out for over a month, I'm going full spoilers from the start, so, if you don't want anything spoiled, go see it and then come back and read this. So, what's the story? It's set in a world where the four elements are alive and have a society and in a town, there's a fire family there with a daughter named Ember. Her family owns a shop and she's hoping to take over it some day. She tries to show she's responsible enough to do it and one day when she's doing it, she causes a pipe to burst which causes a water guy named Wade to come through which starts flooding the shop and so now the two of them try to get to the bottom of what's causing a huge flood to happen. So, I will admit, some of that does some somewhat promising, I think a few elements they implement does help give the film a few cool concepts. Where it falls hard for me though is in the execution. A lot of the film was still really, really boring to me. The main problem I had with it is that the pacing was honestly pretty bad, especially at the start, it felt like the movie was really trying to get into the main plot as fast as possible and so the opening in particular felt pretty rushed. I also feel like this movie was trying to combine other Disney movies together into one like Zootropolis and The Princess And The Frog, except those movies did those plots way, way, way better, and so by feeling like other Disney movies leads to the film feeling kinda forced in its execution and being really bland. The film felt like it was going by really quick and so the relationships forming felt really forced and not earned. The main one I'm talking about is the romance between Ember and Wade. Again, it felt like it was trying to do Zootropolis in this a bit with Judy and Nick's connection, but this one felt really forced and not as well earned. The movie also has a ton of other clichéd moments like Ember and Wade trying to hide from Ember's parents and that eventually leading to them finding put and them getting mad and also Ember and Wade getting into an argument, which also felt really forced and clichéd. I mean, with everything I've said, that's not to say nothing is good in the film because the animation is of course great and actually pretty different from most Disney movies, something about how they do parts of the animation was pretty unique and cool. And the main thing I liked the most was the world because they take advantage of every cool idea you could have with a world like this. They make it so that the world feels unique and how they do a lot of those unqiue things like that makes this a world I would love to explore it. So the actual world building of the film was probably what interested me the most. However, while that is really great to me, it doesn't really make up for the rest of the movie still feeling really forced and really poorly paced. I also really don't like the ending. Like the rest of the movie, it felt forced and not earned with Ember being able to save Wade and the two of them get together. I will say, in terms of some other things that were kinda interesting, the middle of the movie actually was kinda entertaining. I mean, it had some moments I didn't like, but the middle of the movie when Ember and Wade are doing some other small things was actually not that bad and had some entertaining moments, but, for the most part, a lot of the movie just had scenes that made me care less and less and so that didn't really matter in the end. So, overall, I really didn't like this film. It gave me a lot of the same feelings as Strange World did, and while not as bad a feeling as film, still not exactly a good one either. So, yeah, I personally wouldn't want to see this again. All that being said, I honestly do have a lot of faith in Disney's next movie, Wish, which is out in November and I actually do have a lot of faith in that movie. The trailers have looked really cool so far and the animation looks incredible and the way it's being presented makes me really excited and I have a feeling this could be another big movie for Disney like Frozen was. But, as for this movie itself, I personally didn't like it and was really disappointed as a big Disney and Pixar fan. I'd only say check it out if you're curious. And as, everyone, that's my review of Elemental. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment