Wednesday 23 May 2018

My top 10 best looking animated movies

So with there being hundreds of animated movies out there, both good and bad, there's bound to be tons of really fantastically animated ones. And so, I thought I'd use this entry to talk about the best looking animated movies I've ever seen. Note, I'll only be talking about movies that have been released and that I've seen, so this won't have movies that are coming out like Incredibles 2. Also, this won't be ranking the movies on their quality, just the ones I feel look the best in terms of animation. Also, this won't have any anime stuff on here. And so, let's begin and I hope you all like this.
10. Kung-Fu Panda 3:
Kung Fu Panda 3 (2016)
Starting us off at number 10 is 2016's Kung-Fu Panda 3. While there have been a lot of DreamWorks movie out there with great and creative animation, Kung-Fu Panda 3 I would say has a bit more of it than most of them. It's also impressive how a lot of these visuals are on screen like all the different pandas and all the different things in the panda village. The action is also amazing and, in some cases, what happens in some action scenes remind me a bit of an anime, especially the end fight scene.
9. Monsters University:
Steve Buscemi, Billy Crystal, John Goodman, Dave Foley, Sean Hayes, Charlie Day, Nathan Fillion, Tyler Labine, Joel Murray, Peter Sohn, Bobby Moynihan, and Aubrey Plaza in Monsters University (2013)
While this movie may have some polarising reactions fro  audiences, there's no denying that the animation is just amazing in this. Not only are all the textures spot on, but the actual designs of all the monsters are all impressive too and really great to look at. I love how colourful it is, how creative the whole look of the university itself and just the actual design everything has. Again, while this movie may have some haters out there, I personally love it and the animation is a big reason why.
8. Finding Dory:
Finding Dory (2016)
Given how great Finding Nemo looked back when it was first released, this one had to step it up even more, and it totally did. Not only is water animation and sea creatures all amazing in this, but the textures are a billion times better. You'd almost totally believe that these characters are living, breathing creatures. And the fact that it goes to water and land makes for a lot of interesting ideas and they take advantage of a lot of them with some really creative designs too. Even just from how they animate characters like Hank is a good example.
7. Inside Out:
Lewis Black, Bill Hader, Amy Poehler, Phyllis Smith, and Mindy Kaling in Inside Out (2015)
Not only is Inside Out one of Pixar's best movies, but it's also one of their most visually interesting movies too. Like what I just said for Finding Dory, this movie has so many ideas that it can take advantage of when it comes to it's story and designs, but just based on all they ideas they came up with, they had great uses of everything they could and it made for great animation with great ideas and so many creative opportunities. I love how everything looks and I love creative it all is and they even manage to up it a little with the different things that goes on inside a person's head and exploring it.
6. Wreck-It Ralph:

I've definitely seen a lot different uniquely animated movies out there, but I would say the animation in Wreck-It Ralph is one of the creative and inventive. Especially when it comes to the colours, the different design of characters in the games and just the design of the games themselves. The actual function for the games is also cool to see and I love how it all looks more bright and colourful a bit more than most other animated Disney movie.
5. Toy Story 3:

I think everyone can easily agree that Toy Story 3 is definetly the best looking out of all the Toy Story movies. Not only does every texture look a billion times better, but the actual character designs like their expressions and movements are also a billion times better. But, yeah, the actually feel of it all is great too and it works too with the fact that the things like the fabrics and textures all look realistic and really fits more with what they're trying to do.
4. How To Train Your Dragon 2:
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)
When it comes to DreamWorks movies, none have managed to look as good as How To Train Your Dragon 2. Not only are all the textures and on point, but also all the expressions on the character's faces. They don't even have to say a word and yet you can tell what they're feeling just from the way they look. That much alone should tell you how impressive it is. But it also helps that there's tons of different dragons in this and there's almost always an amazing action scene with a lot of flying and all sorts of things like that. There's never a moment in this movie where the animation just looks weird or the textures look odd, everything looks great and clear and this is easily DreamWorks's best work in my opinion.
3. Zootropolis:

Zootropolis is kind of an interesting movie when it comes to it's animation in my opinion. Every time I look at it, I always feel like the design of the characters is different to what you'd usually expect in a Disney movie, or an animated movie in general. And I mean that in a good way. For starters, this movie's production design and background animation is some of the best I've ever seen. They also manage to do the same thing that I said with Inside Out, in that there's a ton of different ideas in this and they take advantage of a lot of them. And what I meant about the character animation is that the fun on a lot of them looks smoother than you'd usually see, and just all the rest look a bit smoother. And the rest of the details are just as impressive to look at given the animals they have in here and they can use a lot of their functions like Judy's ears or the elephant's trunks.
2. Coco:
Coco (2017)
Coming in close to number 1 is last year's, or in some cases, this year's, Coco. Like what I said for How To Train Your Dragon 2, this is most likely Pixar's best work when it comes to animation. Everything looks bright and colourful and I love how detailed everything is. Especially the actual land of the dead. I guess in some cases, you could say they look photo realistic. And, if you knew anyone who was more into it, and just from looking at it, you'd almost think that with the way everything is designed. This is also the best example of a Pixar movie that uses it's C.G.I to make a great musical for a movie because they're able to use that to their advantage a lot too.
Honourable mentions:
Frozen,
Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Josh Gad, Jonathan Groff, and Santino Fontana in Frozen (2013)Big Hero 6,

Brave,

Prince of Egypt,

The Lion King
Matthew Broderick and James Earl Jones in The Lion King (1994)And my number 1 best looking animated movie is... Moana:
Dwayne Johnson, Temuera Morrison, Nicole Scherzinger, Any Gabrielly, and Auli'i Cravalho in Moana (2016)
And finally at number 1 is 2016's Moana. While most will probably disagree with me on this, I would definitely say Moana is the best looking animated movie I've ever seen. Everything in this movie is a feast for the eyes. Everything is so amazing detailed from the characters, to the islands, to the boats, to the ocean. Just everything in this is perfect looking and never once looks like a drab and is exactly what I want when I want to see an animated movie. I love how the movie also has this feeling of a huge scale to it like the animation can really be used in great places and it's able to be in more uses than you'd think which helps show the animator's capabilities and talents. Really, like I said, this is exactly what I want to see when I go see an animated movie and is just perfect as I'd ever want an animated movie to look. And so everyone, those are my choices for my top 10 best looking animated movies. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment