Sunday 19 April 2020

My top 10 world themes in Kingdom Hearts

So, going back to another top list for Kingdom Hearts, I decided to talk about something I don't think I've talked about before, the different world themes in the games. Yoko Shimomura has not only done an amazing job with doing the themes for regular music for the games, but has also does a great job capturing the feel of a world with these themes as well. And not just the different Disney movies, but also just themes of new original worlds as well. And while one or two themes may not exactly fit the world in my opinion, none of them are bad at all and are still great to listen to. And so, this will be counting normal world themes as well as battle themes when the music changes when you have to fight Heartless. Also, I'll just say the world where the theme is from. I know a lot of these themes actually have names, but some don't, or at least I can't find out what they are, so I'll just be saying the worlds. And so, let's get into this and I hope you all like this.
10. Port Royal (Battle theme):
Starting us off is the only battle theme for a world in Kingdom Hearts. I'm placing this at the start and this is the only battle theme on here because it does sound really cool, but I like the other nine of these more. Anyway, I've always loved when these Kingdom Hearts games adapt a music theme from a Disney movie that's actually from the movie. And this is no exception. The fact that it's the Pirates Of The Caribbean theme is even better. The theme is already awesome in the movie, but when you're going up against Heartless and pirates in Kingdom Hearts 2, it's made even more awesome when you're running around and are actually fighting as Sora. The normal theme and the two theme for this world in Kingdom Hearts 3 are great too, but this is just my favourite throughout all the times we've gone there.
9. Atlantica:
Say what you will about the weird inclusion of the singing in Kingdom Hearts 2 when you go to Atlantica there, but I do still love the music when you go to this world. I would also include the theme from Kingdom Hearts 2 when you go there again, but, like I said in the last pick, I really love it when these world themes sound like the themes or songs from the Disney movies and so the fact that it this one sounds like Under The Sea, one of my favourite Disney songs ever, makes it really cool.
8. Destiny Islands:
Now we're getting to the theme of Sora, Riku and Kairi's home world. And this is the first one like with the last one in Atlantica. Later on, for Chain Of Memories, they made a new one that they used again for Kingdom Hearts 2 and Birth By Sleep, but I prefer this original. It sounds both kinda relaxing but also really fun. And I think that's put to really good effect when you're just running around the Destiny Islands and just exploring everything in the first game.
7. Halloween Town:
This is something I should have mentioned in the part for Atlantica, but some of these themes that adapt these Disney songs for the world's themes is how I first heard these. So it was cool to hear a lot of these and then see the movie and hear the song for real and get a feeling of familiarity, which is weird considering it's supposed to be the other way round for pretty much all of these. Anyway, back to the theme itself, I love how this world has the song This Is Halloween as it's theme. It's by far the best, or at least, the most popular song in the movie and being able to hear it as you're going through Halloween Town is awesome.
6. The Land Of Dragons:
Now we get to a Disney world theme that isn't an adaptation of an actual Disney song. This ones completely original and I love it. For one, I love the instruments used to make the music and the way it's done. I'm not sure what instruments they used for this, but whatever they're using, it sounds great and awesome to listen to. And it fits the world really well. And it definitely has a bit of a Chinese feel to it, which is great for capturing the world's environment.
5. The World That Never Was:
At number 5 is the world theme for the Organization's world. Like the last one, I don't know what instruments they're using for this theme, but it sounds great. But the best part of it is the choir it totally makes sense given how they'd want a big music piece like this to be the music for the final world in the game and it's really effective. I especially love the part near the end where the music goes down and all you hear is the choir. I really love that part. But the whole thing itself is really great anyway with some really great uses in the cutscenes as well.
4. Arendelle:
Now, this one might sound weird, but whenever I listen to this theme, I can't help but feel like it sounds like a opening theme for a show. That may be a weird thing to say, but from the way it starts and finishes, it just kinda comes off that way to me. But, even taking that part out of it, I still love this theme. I properly got into listen to the theme of Arendelle a while back because I really wanted to hear it properly, and it does sound really awesome. And, while it doesn't like any of the songs or themes from Frozen, the actual theme here is still great to listen to.
3. Toy Box:
So, out of all the Disney themes in Kingdom Hearts, and especially ones that adapt a theme from the Disney movie itself, the world theme for Toy Box is my favourite. I already love the You've Got A Friend In Me song, so the fact that they did an adaptation of the song for this world's theme is even cooler. It sounds perfectly accurate to the original and adds so much to it here that it still feels fresh. So when you're running around the world, especially Andy's room and talking to the toys there, it makes it feel all the more like you're really in the Toy Story movies. And it does do a great job of immersing in the world immediately if you love the Toy Story movies and this song.
2. Twilight Town:
Coming in close to number 1 is the first theme we hear in Kingdom Hearts 2. And this is just like what I was saying about the Destiny Islands and Atlantica themes, meaning that there's more than one version of it. There's two for the different characters. This one is when you're playing as Roxas at the start and then we get a different version when you start playing as Sora. But Roxas's version is the one I prefer. It sounds really beautiful and really relaxing, just like the Destiny Islands theme.
And my number 1 favourite world theme in Kingdom Hearts is... Hollow Bastion:
And finally at number 1 is the world theme for Hollow Bastion. It's honestly kinda hard to explain why I'd put this at number 1, but just from the sound of the music, I can't help but love it and give it the number 1 spot. I think I preferred it the most in Kingdom Hearts 2 when you got the listen to this while exploring a lot of the outside of Hollow Bastion itself as well. And, like I've said already on this list, I may not know what instruments are being used here, but, whatever they're using, it all comes together to help create music that really fits the world. I especially love the part at the 0:44 mark where it almost kinda sounds like it has a bit of a chorus, if that's the right term to use. But that part is still awesome nonetheless. When you go there in Birth By Sleep and Kingdom Hearts 3 when it become Raidant Garden, they do two different remixes of it and, yeah, they sound good too, but, like I've said already on here, I prefer both the original from the first Kingdom Hearts game and Kingdom Hearts 2's version, and I guess Re:Coded because it was the same. I just really like hearing it and it really does fit the world perfectly like all these other themes. And all that is why Hollow Bastion has my favourite world theme in Kingdom Hearts. And so, those are my top 10 world themes in Kingdom Hearts. And so, everyone, thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think or, if you like Kingdom Hearts, please let me know what your favourite world theme is.

No comments:

Post a Comment