Thursday 23 April 2020

The Lion Guard: Season 3

All right, guys, so I know this might seem out of nowhere. Especially since I haven't spoken much about the Lion Guard much in a long while. But, the honest truth is that I kinda lost interest in it for a while, but then some time ago last year, when Season 3 was ending, I began to find myself getting interested in it again, especially from some of the images, clips and songs I was seeing. And, from the things I was gathering and putting together, the premise that I was seeing looked really interesting. And, eventually, I manged to watch the whole season. And, with it, I can easily say that this was my favourite season of the show. There's definitely some things in it that I didn't like so much, but there was so much here that I loved and I can't wait to share my thoughts about it. Also, this will have all the spoilers for the season. So after the events of Season 2 when Scar returns, the Guard moves in to fight him. And they even have another member. An eagle named Anga.
See the source image
Anyway, this also takes place much later in the story so everyone is older, especially Kion who not only looks older, but he sounds older too, which is great, I always love seeing shows where we see how far the characters have grown and changed. And they also get Janja and the other hyenas on their side too, which is already awesome. And we even see that Simba already knew about Jasiri and knows her to be a good guy. All that is cool to know. And then, during the first episode during the fight with the Outlanders, they managed to get inside the volcano where Scar is and Ushari the bites Kion and gives him a scar like Scar himself.
See the source image
That was a surprise to me and something that I think helps with the character. For one thing, I think it helps give him a cooler design and it adds more with everyone now worried given how the scar has venom which is now inside Kion and could turn him evil. And then Rafiki informs them that the only way to heal him is to go somewhere called the "Tree Of Life", which is apparently where Rafiki first met Makini. Ono also gets hurt in the eyes which means he needs to be healed too and this is what makes Kion give Anga the position of Keenest Of Sight. And so, the Guard, along with Makini, begin to head off to it and the journey itself is kinda hit and miss. There are some really good parts to it and some parts that kinda fall a little flat. On the one hand, I liked seeing the return of some villains like Makucha, and I liked the inclusion of new characters like Azaad. And with him, I liked how they included a love interest for Fuli.
See the source image
But that point kinda has something do with another that I'll talk about later. And, yeah, then there're the episodes that feel like they kinda drag a bit and feel like they just move it along. And they're even doing this thing where Kion can sorta slip a little bit, as in, he sorta begins to turn on the others and act like a jerk because of the venom and the only way to help is with Tuliza plants. But, then, the eventual arrival at the Tree Of Life is what I was really looking forward to. And when they get there doesn't start off so great with the protectors of the land, The Night Pride, thinking that they're enemy invaders.
See the source image
And once they kinda dismiss them and Kion kinda goes off to be by himself briefly, I like the song they have for him. Again, the songs the Lion Guard are kinda hit and miss, but this season has some amazing ones, and I've been listening to a lot of them a lot ever since around August or September of last year, which is when I began to get back into the show. And his song here is really fantastic in my opinion. Listen.
And I noticed how they got another person to do the singing voice for Kion. It's obvious that Max Charles did the singing for him in the first episode but then afterwards, they got someone else to do it. Which is kinda weird and I'm curious to know why they did that. But either one is fine and I still like a lot of the ones they have for him. But at least Max does the talking voice for him. But then, the leader of the Night Pride, Rani...
See the source image
... Speaks to her grandmother, Janna, who's also the queen of the Tree Of Life, and she says that they should welcome them. And we even see that Rani can talk to her parents in the sky like Kion is to Mufasa. And then she welcomes the Guard in. And the Tree Of Life also refers to the land that the tree is in. And, once there, they begin to heal Kion and Ono along with fighting off the villains that followed them. Rani even shows the Guard around.
But it's got more to it when Janna eventually dies and Rani is named the new queen of the Tree Of Life. And I really like the death scene. Obviously not the death itself, but the scene itself is really well done in my opinion. Really well animated and acted. Watch.
And then the coronation for Rani is nice too. I like the song they use and the animation is really cool.
But as it keeps going, we even see that Kion is thinking of training with the roar and is finding different uses with it. He even learns it from Askari.
And that eventual use of it was pretty cool. But then we see that Kion and Rani have both fallen for each other, which is great, because I love both characters and I love seeing them together. It also has probably my favourite love song, and maybe my favourite song in the series, "We're Of The Same Pride".
All that was really great to watch and they then even have the tie-in for The Lion King 2. The whole thing with Kion going to the Tree Of Life explains why he wasn't in the movie and then they have it where the Guard has to go back to the Pride Lands to stop Zira now that Kion and Ono are healed. They then go back only to find out that everything's okay and they find out what happened. And I really like the scene between Kion and Kiara when they're talking about Rani.
Though I still think Kiara especially should look a little older since she still looks like a cub here. Anyway, apparently, even Vitani and a group of lionesses have become the Lion Guard. And he seems willing to give up the roar to her and decides to go back to Tree Of Life where he then marries Rani and become king of it himself.
And I love this ending. I love how it ends with Kion ending up with Rani and it's cool that he actually becomes a king himself. This kinda goes back to what I was saying before, the fact that I originally wanted Kion to end up with Fuli, though I'd understand why that would sound really silly. And this whole thing with the ending made me think of something. The fact that this technically means that Kion became a king before Kiara became a queen. How's that for irony? And so, as a whole, I really loved a lot from this season. As a fan of the show for so long, this was such a satisfying experience and I loved how a lot of these characters ended up and where they went. And it's especially nice for me to see as I've been watching the show since 2016. And even more so me, and I'm sure we can all agree, and so many others have loved the Lion King franchise our whole lives. I don't know if this'll be the last from this franchise, but it's definitely a part that I've loved a lot of. Yes, like I said, I did lose interest for a while and there are some parts in this season that I didn't like, but the positives outweigh the negatives in my opinion. I just loved so much in this and I would highly recommend it if you haven't already. And so, everyone, those are my thoughts on Season 3 of the Lion Guard. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment