Friday 9 July 2021

Black Widow

So, everyone, after two years, we've finally gotten a new Marvel film, Black Widow. And this is one I was really excited about because I've loved Natasha in the M.C.U movies and Scarlett Johansson has always been fantastic as this character. Not to mention the fact that a lot of people have wanted to see a solo Black Widow movie for a while and now we've finally gotten one. It was also nice for me to be able to see a movie in the cinemas again after a year. So, all this was making me so excited to see the film. And, in the end, I ended up feeling somewhat slightly middle of the road with this film, but I still liked it. I did have a good time with this film but it's not perfect. But I think I'm more positive with this film. Also, like always, I'll be doing a spoiler-free section first and then go into all the spoilers afterwards. So, what's the story? It's set after Civil War with Natasha still on the run after helping Cap get away. And while in hiding she's confronted by someone named Taskmaster who seems to be after her for some reason. After this, she tries to find her sister and some others to get some answers and stop something called the Red Room, which is where she was trained to be an assassin. And I'll stop there. So, what I liked the most about this was the fact that it did have a lot of interesting ideas. There's a lot of details in this plot that intrigued me, especially in regards to seeing Natasha's past, which is the first time we're actually seeing this, so it was interesting. Not to mention the fact that the cast is of course phenomenal with Scarlett Johannsson once again doing a fantastic job as Natasha, but the rest are great to, especially Florence Pugh as Natasha's sister. I also liked the adventure side to this. We see Natasha going through different things like dealing with her past and dealing with current problems and I liked that. It was also nice when we see a lot of these characters just being people. Like there's a scene where Natasha is with her sister and some other people in a house and it was interesting seeing these characters work off each other like that. There's a lot of moments like that in here and it was nice to see. It was also interesting seeing the contrasts between these characters. And that whole house scene did have some pretty emotional moments in regards to showing more of their pasts and I thought it was pretty powerful. The film's also really funny, there's a lot of very hilarious moments in this that made me laugh, especially one scene inside a helicopter, and the action is mostly mostly pretty good. I say mostly so keep that in mind. But there are some cool action scenes here, especially at the end and there's some cool shots in this too. There are also some twists in this that I didn't see coming and, while I didn't think all of them were good, some actually are pretty cool. And I will say that the ending did make me really excited for a future M.C.U project. Overall, I did have a good time with the film, but there are also some problems I had that I'm gonna talk about now. For starters, some of the scenes in the film did kinda feel kinda pointless and due to those scenes, it did kinda make film feel pointless as a whole because there's not much to this that make it feel like it's super important to the M.C.U. It is a fun film, but nothing in this really felt like it was necessary for the other films in the M.C.U. It's nice to see what happened to Natasha after Civil War and it's cool to see part of her backstory, but the story for this did kinda feel somewhat pointless in that regard because it doesn't have much of an impact to the other films. Some of the editing was also weirdly noticeable sometimes. There were some scenes where the editing made it feel a bit choppy. And the editing also made some of the action scenes feel off as well. Like I said, some of the action was kinda underwhelming and a lot of that had to do with the editing in those scenes not being the best at points so it just left me a bit of an empty feeling with the action because Natasha's one of the best martial artists in the Marvel universe, so it just felt like they didn't use the opportunity all that well. Like I said, there are some twists in this and some aren't very good. The biggest one I can think of without spoiling anything involves the villain. I won't say anything else, but I did find annoying when we're revealed something towards the end of the film. Actually, two things, there's another twist that's really bizarre. I also wasn't a fan of just the villains themselves, they felt kinda generic and boring sometimes. So, overall, I did have a really good time with this film. It's another really good M.C.U movie but it's not one of the better ones. I am really glad we finally got a Black Widow movie and it was mostly really entertaining and it's sad that this is the last time we'll ever see Scarlett Johansson in the M.C.U. As far as where I'd rank it in the other Marvel films, I'd probably put it just above Captain America: The First Avenger and just slightly below Doctor Strange. And so, yeah, everyone, those are my thoughts on Black Widow. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think. Okay, now we're gonna get into spoilers. If you don't want to see them, go see the film and then come back and read the rest.

Spoilers:

Okay, so the first big spoiler I can think of is when it revealed that Taskmaster is actually the daughter of this Dreykov guy who's the real villain of the movie that Natasha thought she killed a lot time ago. I guess it was nice to see Natasha have sympathies for her and by the end when she saves her, it's nice, but I personally really didn't like how they made Taskmaster into some puppet character for someone else. It also kinda reminded me of what they did with Ghost in Ant-Man And The Wasp where it's some male villain made into a female character for the movie. And I really didn't like what they did with that character here. I will say her action scenes were cool and it was nice when Natasha saved her at the end as well as all the Widows, but I didn't like how they made Taskmaster into something else entirely. And another thing that I thought was pretty bad was the twist that Natasha couldn't hurt Dreykov because of some particles in her nose. It's so weird and kinda nonsensical that it just came across as silly to me and then she stops it by slamming her head into the desk to sever the nerve where the particles are. That was just a really weird moment. Another kinda big spoiler is that I didn't expect Ross in this, but it does make sense he would be in the beginning looking for Natasha after Civil War and it was cool. Also, probably my favourite action scene was during the middle with the car chase with Natasha and her sister on the run from Taskmaster and the other Widows. And we can also talk about that. I thought the whole concept of all the Widows was interesting with having all these brainwashed women Dreykov has been using and that did lead to a cool fight with all of them when Natasha had to fight them all. Speaking of Dreykov, he's the villain who I thought was kinda boring. He was just some guy wanted to conquer the world with the Widows. And while he was well acted, I didn't find him interesting at all. It was funny though when we saw Natasha's sister making fun of her poses. That was really funny. I did also like how they were able to help all the Widows at the end it was pretty satisfying when Dreykov died after what he said about Natasha's mom, plus, again that scene at the house was nice with Natasha, her sister, Alexie and that woman talking. It was also cool when we see Natasha and that woman change places like what happened in The Winter Soldier. And then the ending when we see Nat with the look she had in Infinity War was a pretty cool tie-in to that film and the same goes for when she said she was gonna break some of the other Avengers out of the Raft. And then the end credit scene, I like how it takes place after Endgame with Natasha's sister visiting her grave and then we see Madam Hydra. She was in The Falcon And The Winter Soldier and I was told it was supposed to be a surprise when she showed up there because this was supposed to come out first but then the pandemic happened and so it was surprising to see her here. And then she tells her sister that Clint was responsible for Natasha's death and so she's gonna be going after him now. So I guess that means we'll be seeing her in the Hawkeye show coming soon. So, yeah, that was all cool and really exciting. And I think the thing that made me most excited was seeing different setups for other things. And yeah, overall, I think that's everything. And, yeah, so those are my thoughts on Black Widow. And so, everyone, that was my review of Black Widow. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment