Tuesday 20 March 2018

Jessica Jones: Season 2

So, on Friday the 9th, I actually managed to binged the entire second season of Jessica Jones. I know, it's weird, but I just wanted to watch it and get it over with. The reason this review is coming out a while later is because I really wanted to think about it. I'm just gonna say it immediately, this entire second season of Jessica Jones is by far the scariest thing I've ever seen Marvel do. Maybe even in comic book history. Is it the darkest? I don't know about that, but, I'm not gonna lie, this season kinda scared me because it is so dark and so depressing. I felt depression throughout the whole thing. And also, something else I just want to say right off the bat, is this season better than the last? No, it's not, I have a lot of problems with it. That being said, I enjoyed it. Or really, "enjoyed" isn't really the right word to describe it, but, you know what I mean. Also, this will have all the spoilers, so watch it if you want first if you haven't yet. So, the main plot of this story is that Jessica is trying to do her normal job of being a P.I. But when Trish tells her about a facility called I.G.H, where she was experimented on and how she got her powers. And with that, there's other subplots that are in this that all try to connect to the main plot of the season. Especially one that involves her mom still being alive but she's sorta become crazy with this kinda urge to kill people if she gets pushed really far. So let's talk about the good things first. Obviously the entire cast is great. Especially Kristen Ritter again. She's an incredible actress and she steals the show every single time she's on screen. However, she's not the only one. The other best performance in the series is Janet McTeer as Jessica's mom, Alisa. When I said that this season is scary, she's why. She's extremely terrifying every time she's seen. And everyone else in the show is also still great a their characters. Rachael Taylor, Eka Darville, Carrie-Anne Moss and everyone else. They're all fantastic. The show, like the other Marvel shows, is also really well made, especially the cinematography. I also liked some of the interactions here, even though it kinda felt like the characters and their actions seemed a bit mean and unlikeable. When looking at some people's opinions on this season, some of them said that the characters were kinda unlikeable here, and, yeah, in a way, I do understand because a lot of them use each other in so many ways that can make them unlikeable. The action is pretty cool and I liked how this season introduced new comic booky elements to it like introducing these new powered characters like Whizzer and even hinting at things from the comics like Trish becoming Hellcat. And the actual investigation into I.G.H that Jessica does is looking into is interesting when we get to it. Even just looking into Jessica's past was very interesting and really devastating. I liked seeing where Jessica got her jacket, I liked her boyfriend and those details. And I liked the new characters they introduced here like Oscar. And, really, those interesting storylines that involve the actual I.G.H investigation is where the season has it's only real interest. It does take a while for that to get going though. Which is disappointing and it made parts of the show seem boring. Yeah, this season has quiet a lot of problems. In the first season, it felt like all the interesting stuff was happening from the very beginning. Here though, it feels like it doesn't start until a little later on. There's also quite a lot of dragging in the season that makes it go a lot slower than the other shows, which can make it seem boring there too. I also found it weird that this season didn't incorporate anything from the Defenders. We don't see any cameo from Luke or Danny, it's hardly ever mentioned and that's really odd considering this takes place right after that. There's also a cameo from Foggy here once and it seemed really forced. I also didn't entirely understand the motivation of some characters, especially Karl, played very well by Callum Keith Rennie. He says he saved Jessica's mom because he wanted to experiment on her and then he begins to fall in love with her. But, even when that's revealed, it didn't always make sense. The character of Karl actually reminded me a lot of Aldrich Killian from Iron Man 3. I don't even know why, he just did. And while he had some motivation and he was kinda likeable in some cases, there were others where he just didn't make sense to me. There's even an episode where Kilgrave is sorta tormenting Jessica in her head, but, they don't explain it and they don't do it again after that one episode, so it was kinda pointless. I guess it was cool to see him, but it seemed pointless to me. And, probably the biggest problem I have with the season is the subplot with Hogarth getting diagnosed with A.L.S and the people at her company saying she can't work there if she's sick. It's so boring and disposable. You could take that subplot out of this and nothing would change whatsoever. There's also this character who's another P.I who wants to get Jessica out of business because he doesn't want her firm to outdo his. Again, it's pointless and it doesn't really go anywhere. And the position that these characters are in at the end of the season, sure, it makes sense and it's sad to see where these characters end up, especially Malcom considering I really love that character, but, unlike Daredevil: Season 2 that did this same kind of thing and did it pretty similarly, I didn't feel like it worked here. It's not a complete disappointment. I didn't hate this season, I was just kinda bored and disappointed with a lot of the choices that were made here. There are really good moments and episodes and every performance is fantastic, but that doesn't exactly help this story. I find it strange that after something amazing like the first season, where I was interested the whole time and everything came together really well, came this Again, it's not bad and I'm excited for season 3. But I'm hoping its story is better put together with more focus and a better narrative. I'm hoping things like Hellcat will happen with cool comic book nods. I'm also interested to know how Jessica and Trish will act now that Trish killed her mom. If you liked the first season, as well as just a comic book fan, and you're interested to see what happened to these characters after the Defenders, I'd recommend it, but, it did kinda disappoint me and I wish it was better. But, yeah, check it out if you're interested, I just wouldn't watch it again. And so, everyone, that's my review of Jessica Jones: Season 2. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think, or, if you've seen the season, please tell me what you thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment