Wednesday 28 November 2018

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindlewald

And so, everyone, we've finally to my late review of the latest Harry Potter movie, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindlewald. The reason it's so late is because I've been really busy lately with my own life and I've just had too much going on. That's why I've been behind on blogging lately. But, I finally saw this movie last week. I've reviewed every single Harry Potter movie before in the past and I've always mentioned how I'm a ginormous fan. I've liked every single movie before this and I thought the first Fantastic Beasts movie was really good and really enjoyable with a likeable cast and it was a good, fun time. So I was very excited, while also being a little cautious about this one because I had heard some... less than amazing things about this before going in. And so, what did I end up thinking of it? Honestly, I never thought I'd ever say this, but this is, in my opinion, the first bad Harry Potter movie for me. I never would have thought I'd ever say that, but this was such a disappointment to me. As much of a fan I am of J.K Rowling, this is the least of all her work in terms of writing in the Harry Potter universe. So, first off, what's the story? Grindlewald, played by Johnny Depp, has escaped prison and now Newt has been informed who's also having some problems of his own like not hearing from Tina anymore or having some problems with his brother. It's also shown that Credence is still alive, even after what happened at the end of the first movie, and is now trying to discover who he really is. So, really, does this movie have anything good in it? Yeah, there are some things like David Yate's directing. He still shows that he understands this world and knows how to direct it properly. It's definetly a good looking movie with cool visuals and the creatures are unique again, even if some of the tricks some wizards do don't seem unique and feel kinda clichéd. And the cast shows that they're really trying with this material. Easily the best part about this movie are Eddie Redmaine as Newt again who still makes him extremely likeable, and the other is Jude Law as the young Dumbledore. This is a great choice for Dumbledore. He does an amazing job with making him very likeable and you feel like this is Dumbledore as you remember him. He's easily the best part of this movie. However, while that's all great, a lot of this movie is, unfortunately, really boring. The film itself is so complicated and so hard to follow that it lost my interest by about the halfway point. It has way too many characters in it and way too many subplots in it and it tries to cram so much into its story that a lot of things feel like hey just don't make sense. Also, while Jude Law is definetly the best part of the movie, he's not in it that much. I wish we could have seen more of him. Johnny Depp does do a great job as Grindlewald, but the character himself is just very forgettable. There wasn't much about him. Unlike Voldemort, who I thought was an awesome and amazing villain, this one just doesn't do much and there's not really anything unique about his character. Speaking of characters, a lot of them are either very forgettable, feel like they have no place in this movie or just don't do much or feel like where they are is just way too complicated to understand. There are some characters who, I guess, may serve a purpose to the plot, but, because I couldn't follow or understand it, I didn't feel like they were necessary. A lot of the characters also feel like they're really annoying here and some do some really dumb things. Like, I really liked Queeny in the first movie, but, here, she does some really annoying things and makes so many bad decisions that she kinda becomes unlikeable. The movie kinda wants to make a love triangle between Newt, Tina and this other woman who Tina think is engaged with Newt due to some misunderstanding. That alone takes up way too much time and it, of course, gets resolved, and not very cleverly. This movie is also one of those prequels where the plot is beginning to mess with the continuity of the Harry Potter history. And I say that meaning that now they've added things to the plot that makes no sense when you see the previous Harry Potter movies. That's one of those things that can be bad about prequels. Where you begin to mess so much with the plot and continuity that some things don't make sense and can sometimes take things away from the other movies a small bit. That's just to show how sloppy this film's writing is. And, really, like I said, there's this whole plot with Credence, Newt and Tina, along with some other people, talking to this woman who says she knows how Credence came to be, but, I couldn't follow it so it just came across as confusing and weird to me. I didn't get it at all. Even the story she was saying was kinda confusing. It just made so many of these plots, given the fact that there were too many going at once, so hard to keep track of. A lot of the humour doesn't work either. There are some funny moments, but there's also some kinda cringeworthy moments of humour. I also didn't think the end climax was a good payoff. The film thinks it's super epic, which Harry Potter has been before, but, for this film, it thinks it's paying off all the build and it's not really as good as it thinks it is. I also didn't like the way it tied everything together at the very end with this whole Credence and Grindlewald thing. Also, throughout the whole thing, I couldn't escape the feeling that this was just a setup movie. I felt that throughout the whole runtime. Overall, I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is the first bad Harry Potter movie, which is something I prayed I'd never have to say. But this was a really not well written movie that I can't say is a good one. It's got some good things in it, but it's also got a lot of bad things. Some people say there's going to be at least five more sequels after this, and, really, all I can say is that I hope they're an improvement over this. For this one alone, if you're interested, I guess you can see it, but don't expect it to be an amazing experience and don't have your expectations too high. I imagine some Harry Potter fans will really like it, like a friend of mine said she really liked it, but I didn't and the vast majority of people didn't either. And so, that's my review of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindlewald. Thank you all so much for reading, please comment down below to tell me what you think and please share this or show it to your friends if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment