Wednesday 5 December 2018

Ralph Breaks The Internet

And now we've arrived at my most anticipated movie for the rest of the year, Ralph Breaks The Internet. After Avengers: Infinity War and Incredibles 2, this was my most anticipated movie for the whole year. This was also a special film for Disney considering they haven't made a Disney Classic that was a sequel since Fantasia 2000. Having it be a sequel to Wreck-It Ralph, I personally think is an interesting idea, but I really love the first movie a lot and so I was interested in what they would do for the sequel. And, what did I end up thinking of it? I thought it was pretty good. It's not perfect and it's far from the first movie and it does have some noticeable flaws, but I still had good, fun time with it. Plus, there are some moments in this that might be some of the most fun scenes I've seen in a Disney movie in a long time. And, yes, the first part of this will be spoiler free and then I'll get into all the spoilers. So, what's the story? Ralph and Vanellope are still friends and are always hanging out around the arcade games, but, when Vanellope begins to get bored with her game and feels like everything is seeming predictable, Ralph makes her a new track that Vanellope uses that causes the players have no control over which causes the game's steering wheel to break. And after Litwack gets Wi-Fi in the arcade, Ralph and Vanellope go to it to get a new one from eBay. Now they need money to buy it otherwise Vanellope's game, Sugar Rush, will get taken away. While there, they even go into another racing game called Slaughter Race where they meet a character called Shank. And all of this begins to make Vanellope have some second thoughts about going home. And I'm gonna stop right there. So, first off, I just want to get the negatives out of the way, probably the main one for me is that, for starters the story can feel kinda formulaic at times. Not only that but at times it feels like they're sorta hammering the message of the movie into your head too much. And I feel like the characters sorta go through the same arc they went through last time. Plus, I don't know what anyone else thought of this, but at times, it sorta felt like some of the interactions got kinda weird and creepy for me. The pacing also isn't perfect and at points, it kinda felt like the story was rehashing a little bit of the first films. Also, I love Ralph as a character. I really do. But, at points, I sorta felt like he did some things in this that made him a bit unlikeable. Not all the time, but at points he did some things that seemed really unlikeable and out of character in a way. The movie also has plot holes that don't really make sense. I know a lot of movies have plot holes, but some here were very, very noticeable. But, that's honestly about where it ends for me in regards to negatives. The rest of the film however does a great job of delivering what it promises, mostly. The other moments were very fun, funny and it has the same characters from the last movie being the way they were before almost all the time. It was just fantastic and fantastically animated. Disney of course once again shows us just what they can do with animation with so much attention to detail with everything they show in the internet. And a lot of the things they do with the internet are very creative like the different apps on phones or websites or how whenever a human is on a computer and something happens. They've practically thought of everything they could imagine and makes it extremely pleasing to look at. It's practically mind-blowing, but that's just the level that Disney is able to reach with so many of their animated films. And the rest of the story is fun too, the whole message, while it can get a bit too hammered in, is still mostly well executed. And they know exactly how to present this world and characters back to us after 6 years, even if some of them do kinda go to waste like Felix and Calhoun. And, like I said there are some moments here that are some of the best Disney moments of all time. And a lot of that has to go to all the actual Disney moments they were promoting a lot. Ya know, when they were showing how Ralph and Vanellope go to this Disney website and interact with a bunch of Disney characters and things like that. That whole segment is easily one of my favourite Disney moments of all time. Seeing all these characters together made me geek out so much as a Disney fanboy. Unfortunately there wasn't anything Kingdom Hearts related, which is a little disappointing for me personally, but I can forgive it. There also isn't much of that Disney thing either, but I can forgive that too because ya don't want to spend too much time so you forget the story. And the ending does have a pretty cool end climax, even if there is a resolution that didn't entirely work for me. And really, just following these characters go through their struggles is the main part of the movie and you do get wrapped up in it. Probably the biggest change for them is Vanellope wondering if she wants to go home or be a part of Slaughter Race. And you do end up really caring. The movie is also pretty funny, mainly from the Disney segment with so many Easter Eggs and much more like cameos from Disney characters and even real people at Disney. The ending does also have some funny moments too at the end of the climax. I did also think the exploration of this whole world like I said. The new characters here are also cool, Shank for example. She's not in the movie too much, but she's still too and I loved her interactions with Vanellope. And then there were characters KnowsMore and some others who were really funny in this. So, overall, this is a good sequel, I guess it might be great, but I just thought it was really good. I didn't love the movie, but there were some scenes in this that were absolutely amazing things that I adored. I wouldn't say this is as good as the first Wreck-It Ralph and it's nowhere as good as some of the Disney Classics that have come out in the past few years, but I still really enjoyed myself and I think most others will too. I would definetly recommend this. And so, everyone, that's my review for Ralph Breaks The Internet. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.
Spoilers:
So, there's not a lot of things to really spoil here, but I'll get them out of the way. Probably the biggest was the fact that this movie doesn't have a proper antagonist. You could say that huge Ralph monster is, but you could almost say that that's actually a personification of Ralph's insecurity, which they do acknowledge in the movie, so you could count that. And those cameos rom the Disney place were amazing with so many characters like Nick Wilde, Tinker Bell, Stormtroopers, Iron Man and so on. That Baby Groot answering thing made me laugh really hard, and that Stan Lee cameo was amazing. Plus, I like how it wasn't just a side-lined thing because it did serve a purposed to the story with the princesses coming in during the climax to save Ralph. The whole movie itself was like Disney sorta making fun of themselves because they make fun of so many of their clichés, especially the whole scene where Vanellope was singing about what she really wanted. Those moments that I was saying were kinda creepy were some Ralph and Vanellope moments. I'm sure it's just me, but they came off as kinda weird to me. And then the ending with Vanellope deciding to be in Slaughter Race instead of going home, that actually was kinda sweet and a good development for her character. And then the end credits were pretty hilarious... kinda. The first one was really funny with Disney acknowledging the fact that sometimes scenes from trailers sometime don't make it into the movie and then that kid getting scared. And I think that's really it for spoilers. And so, thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment