Thursday 6 December 2018

My tribute to Stephen Hillenburg

So, I'm kinda late to the party on this one, but I figured it's best to be late than never. So, as I'm sure some of you, or maybe most of you are aware, Stephen Hillenburg, A.K.A, the creator of SpongeBob Squarepants, has also tragically passed away recently due to A.L.S at the age of 57. I recently did another tribute like this with Stan Lee, so I decided to do one for the person who created my favourite childhood TV show. At the time SpongeBob debuted back in 1999, this show's writing and comedy was unlike any other show out there. You could say the Simpsons was sorta like that, but the difference was that SpongeBob was more aided at children where as the Simpsons was, yes, children could enjoy it too, but it was mostly aimed for older people like 12 year olds and above. Whereas SpongeBob could appeal to everyone and so much of it's popularity was from Stephen's imagination and great comedy ideas for the show. And he was able to use his talent of being a marine biologist to create a lot of his characters too. And he influenced a lot of his co-workers at Nickelodeon too like Butch Hartman, A.K.A, the creator of Fairly OddParents, who's also done a great tribute to him too.
And the show of SpongeBob is very nostalgic to me. I loved it as a kid and I still really enjoy it now and it still has one of my favourite characters of all time with SpongeBob himself. Stephen was the guy who made everyone around the world who was a TV show creator want to be able to make a show that could reach the same heights he did with SpongeBob and the characters in it. And, like I said, a lot of that comes from the amazing writing he came up with. The comedy in the show could range from child friendly to something that only adults would understand. In fact, quite a few times, some things in this was meant for adults like the whole Sailor Mouth episode. And even Nickelodeon has put out their own word about Stephen to the world and his family. Personally, and I know this is something everyone wants, but I think the best way to honour him is if SpongeBob just ended with some of the original writers back. And if they can make it good and make just as entertaining as just like in the original run of the show, I think that would be a great send-off and a great way to honour an amazing cartoon creator. And it really does kill me inside with the fact that Stephen's really gone and he will be missed. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment