Sunday 8 December 2019

Frozen 2

And so, everyone, we've finally arrived at the sequel to highest grossing animated movie ever and one of the greatest Disney films ever, Frozen 2. This is definitely a movie I was excited for. Especially seeing as the trailers were making this look like an awesome and fun experience. And so, was it? ... Uh... it was pretty close. It's not as good as the first and there were some things about it that were kinda bad and cringe-worthy. But I'm not saying all those things make the film bad, they just kinda drag it down a little and make it not as good as the original. Anyway, let's get into the story first. And yes, like I normally do, I'm gonna do a spoiler free section first and then move onto the spoilers after with a warning. So, first off, what's the story? It opens up with a flashback with Anna and Elsa as kids being told a story from their parents. Years later, after the events of the first movie, Arendelle is celebrating something, all the while, Elsa is hearing a voice somewhere and even Arendelle is evacuated when all sorts of weird things happen like the wind blowing everyone away, the ground shaking, fire spreading and so on. And after a word with the trolls, Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, Olaf and Sven head off into a forest to find out what's going on. And I'm gonna stop there. So first off, I wanna get those problems out of the way. First, and probably the thing I noticed within the first few minutes is that the pacing is way too fast. Not only does the opening scene kinda spoil the rest of the movie, but also everything happens way too fast. There's a lot of that, especially in the opening. There are some things in the opening I liked, but it all happened way too fast and then they just jump straight into the story. I guess some stories get away with that considering they have a lot to do, but at least those other stories give more time to feel like the audience is more into the story and it's addressed enough to get people into it, whereas this just gets into it right away and doesn't really have a proper opening. It's just a rushed few minutes and then we get into the actual plot. And that part did distract me a little. The other problem is easily the biggest problem and that's the fact that there's a subplot with a character that's really cringe-worthy and and takes too long. I won't spoil it, but it's definitely the worst aspect to the film. It also gets kind of annoying after a while. There are also songs here, obviously, and I liked a lot of them, but there is one that's kinda bad. It's like what I just said with that character's subplot and that's that it's really cringe-worthy. You could honestly take that part out and miss nothing. There's some things that don't really make sense and the film and are kinda hard to ignore, especially towards the end. And also, I guess this next point is a little more subjective than those others, but, from the trailers, I was sorta expecting this to have a huge fantasy and adventure and action aspect to it. And while there is definitely an element of that in here, there's not as much as I was hoping for. There's also something that a character does towards the end that was really weird to me. I know I'm being pretty vague with these problems, but they are better explainable in the spoiler section. And I guess this is where I can make the transition into the positives. Firstly, and this is really to be expected with any Disney movie, the animation is still amazing. Just the way everything looks and the way the movie is shot just makes everything really massive. And, while I said before that the element of fantasy isn't shown here that much, there is still a bit of feel here and that much of it is still really effective. And the characters are still super likable. I was really glad to be able to see them again and they're still great. I especially like Anna and Elsa's relationship more this time and Olaf still gets some good laughs. And a lot of the other characters are really funny too. And even though the character that I mentioned gets a cringe-worthy subplot, it doesn't mean the character is bad or unlikable at all. Also, like I said, there are also a lot of elements here that I really loved, and a lot of that came from a lot of the interactions between the characters and what they end up doing on this adventure. The songs are still as awesome as the first movie. Yes, there is one that's not great and is kinda cringe-worthy, but the rest are still amazing, especially Elsa's "Into The Unknown" song.
Elsa still gets the best songs in these Frozen movies and Indina Menzel still has an amazing singing voice. The rest of them, besides that one that I mentioned, are really great too. I immediately downloaded this song onto my iPod after seeing it. I had listened to it a ton of times before seeing the movie too. And all that good stuff definitely helped make this really entertaining. So, yeah, the film's not perfect and it does have a good amount of problems and it's not as good as the first incredible film, but I still had a fun time with this and would totally recommend it. As a humongous Disney fan, I'm satisfied with it and can't wait to see what Disney Classic is next. And so, everyone that's my review for Frozen 2. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think. And now, we're getting into the spoilers. If you haven't seen the film yet, go watch it and then come back and read the rest.
Spoiler:
Okay, so first, I want to get those problems I mentioned out of he way. That biggest one I was talking about before was the subplot with Kristoff trying to propose to Anna. Like I said, it's super unnecessary and takes up way too much time in the film and it was becoming really annoying and cringe-worthy really quickly. And his song about it is that song that I was talking about. I feel if they took that out, it would help with the film feeling not so long. But with that part out of the way, let's get to the actual plot next. So, with the opening, I liked how their parents told them about the forest and about their past, but what didn't like was how it spoiled what was gonna be coming and it made a lot of the rest of the film really predictable. As soon as they were talking about their dad being saved by someone, I immediately thought that it was their mom and I was right. And then, I guess the biggest spoiler is the whole origin of Elsa's power and what caused the spirits to be mad and all that. So, apparently, what their parents were doing that they were going to was trying to discover where Elsa's powers came from and they even find the ship wrecked up on this bit of land somewhere. And, I honestly don't really know how I felt about that. I mean, I guess it's cool to know what they were doing, but still, in terms of what they showed, I don't know how I feel about it. But, I guess moving away from that, I'd say the next biggest spoiler is the fact that Anna and Elsa's grandfather is the one who caused all this to happen. He just decided that he wanted to betray the forest tribe and kill the leader. And, what I said about the last point is the same here, I don't know how I feel about that because they present it as he was just some guy who, I guess, maybe didn't want to do things the way everyone was talking about and just wanted to be rid of this other tribe. And this is all discovered by Elsa when she decides to go off and find this island of Ice where all that's where she finds all this. And then we see what happened to Anna in the first movie happen to her where she freezes. That was actually pretty interesting. This even causes Olaf to disappear, which I thought was actually a risky move. And then, when Anna gets this message and decides to destroy the dam that's keeping a whole bunch of water together thinking that Arendelle was something that should never have been made, thinking it was based on a bad history, which, I didn't really get. This is that one decision I was talking about before. And it still doesn't make sense to me. It felt like they could have thought of another plan besides that and I don't think this one was a great idea either. And they managed to use the giants to destroy it, only for Elsa to come and save Arendelle and say that destroying it wasn't necessary. And that kinda shows that problem. I get that destroying the dam was needed to release the mist from the forest, but, I don't know, I just feel like the whole thought of destroying Arendelle didn't really make much sense. But, anyway, after that, Elsa brings Olaf back and then decides to stay with the people in the forest while Anna becomes the new queen of Arendelle. I did actually really like that and I like how they put them in those new roles like that. And, like I said, all that together made the film really enjoyable. And so, everyone, that's the spoiler review for Frozen 2. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment