Tuesday 23 March 2021

My top 10 underrated arcs in anime

So, a lot of anime's I've seen have had a lot underrated story arcs. They've either not been talked about enough, not as well appreciated as other well received arcs or have been disliked by some people. So, I decided I wanted to talk about some of these by counting down my top 10 most underrated arcs in anime. I'll be going into some anime's that I haven't done reviews for yet or haven't talked about that much so I'll try not to talk that much about those to save them for anime reviews I might do at some point later on. And so, let's begin and I hope you all like this.
10. Edolas (Fairy Tail):
Starting us off at number 10 is, in my opinion, the best arc from Fairy Tail, Edolas. I know a lot of people would probably say The Grand Magic Games is the best arc in the series, but the one I enjoy the most and think is the most creative is Edolas. This is probably the best example I can think of of a popular anime series with an arc that's not talked about at all. There are others on here, but in terms of a series that is popular, this is it. I really like the initial set up with Natsu, Wendy, Happy and Carla going to Edolas to find everyone and then they find this crazy world with opposite versions of themselves and everyone else. And the whole story as it keeps going just keeps getting more and more interesting and I always really liked watching this a lot when I was a bigger fan of the series.
9. The Fourth Great Ninja War (Naruto Shippuden):
Next up is climatic arc in the Naruto series. There's sorta been some controversy around this arc with a lot of people thinking it was kinda messy with having too many characters and not many of them getting a lot of development as well as it being frustrating when it comes to who the main villain is supposed to be, but I honestly love it. Being the arc that was gonna have to wrap up this entire series, I thought Masashi Kishimoto did a fantastic job with it. We got to see a bunch of characters together, we get to see so many of them teaming up, we get Team 7 reuniting and all the teams from the Leaf Village teaming up and there's just too many amazing moments for me to count. So, while I can't disagree with a lot of the complaints because there are some I do agree with, I also can't deny that I thought this was a fantastic way to finish the entire series before moving onto Boruto.
8. Alabasta (One Piece):
At number 8 is the arc that truly made me become a One Piece fan, the Alabasta arc. Like I said in my review for the series, I liked everything before this, but this is exactly what made me think "okay, now I know why people love this series so much." This is exactly how to tell an amazing story arc in an anime or manga. I know a lot of people like this arc and think it's great, but I don't think it gets enough credit. Eiichiro Oda did such a phenomenal job with this arc and it's one of my all time favourites. Firstly, I love how it begins with the Straw Hats finding Vivi and Igaram and from there, we get amazing moment after amazing moment. I love how this is where we're introduced to Chopper, Ace, Robin, Vivi and everyone else in Alabasta itself. It's also fantastically paced with knowing exactly how to make every scene significant in some way and it's kinda tense with how everyone in Alabasta almost kills each other and then with the bomb in the town along with the Straw Hats and Vivi trying to save everyone. I also love the fights in this, especially Luffy vs. Crocodile. I do have one or two problems with it and that's just some plot holes that're a little weird, but, besides that, this is a fantastic story and I'm so glad that this is what got me into the series.
7. Zamasu and Goku Black Saga (Dragon Ball Super):
So, while I may have really disliked the beginning of Dragon Ball Super with how it retold the stories of the Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F movies, the Zamasu and Goku Black Saga is where things really began to pick back up. I mean, it kinda did already with the whole Universe 6 Tournament, but this is where it really became a great series. I loved a lot about this arc. Not everything, but a lot nonetheless. I loved how we got a great new villain with Zamasu and, like what I said in my review of Dragon Ball Super, the way the story is told is really enjoyable and smart. It is a little confusing with the whole explanation of how this whole time thing works, but it's still really enjoyable. Plus, we also got some awesome fights like Vegito vs. Fused Zamasu or Trunks vs. Zamasu. Like I said before, I do agree with some people that it should have ended with Trunks defeating Zamasu and shouldn't have had Zeno help afterwards. I like Zeno, but it should have ended then and there. Still though, a really fun part of the series that I definetly think should get talked about more.
6. Chapter Black Arc (Yu Yu Hakusho):
Next on the list is the second or third major arc in this classic Shonen, The Chapter Black Arc from Yu Yu Hakusho. I absolutely love this part of the story and I 100% believe it should be talked about more because there is much about it that I think is brilliant. Firstly, this gives us probably the most sympathetic villain in the series with Sensui and everything involving finding out about what's going on is really interesting. I think what really gets this arc going is probably everything that happens around the investigation part. As in the part where Yusuke and the others are first looking for Sensui and then they end up in the hospital and they're all talking to Genkai about what could be happening and everything involving all that is so much fun to watch because of how interesting it is. Plus, this arc gave us one of the best fights in the series with the Yusuke vs. Doctor fight, which is my favourite fight in the arc. Plus the whole thing about Sensui trying to unleash demons into the human world is a cool idea and it's fun to see Yusuke and the others trying to stop him and it combinates in a really awesome fight when Raizen takes over Yusuke's body and he kills Sensui himself. That whole fight alone is really awesome to watch.
5. Greed Island (Hunter x Hunter):
Another Yoshihiro Togashi arc next to Yu Yu Hakusho, we have the Greed Island arc from Hunter x Hunter. I always sorta viewed this as pretty underrated. I'm not 100% sure what people really think about this but I think they see this as just not being as good as the rest, but I like so much about it. I love how this is where Gon and Killua develop their Nen and get their special attacks with Bisky training them. And the whole idea of them going into a video game to try to play it is a really cool idea and this arc does everything cool with this idea it can do. I also think some of the best fights in the series come from this arc like Gon vs. Genthru. I also love how Hisoka has the help them during the dodgeball match. That whole part alone is a really fun
4. Holy Knights Saga (The Seven Deadly Sins):
Coming in at number 4 is the first arc in this fantasy series, the Holy Knights Saga. I remember watching this for the first time and just being blown away by how absolutely genius this plot was thought out. There's so many incredible moments and it's all so brilliantly told. And I was hooked on this from the beginning. Sometimes in arcs, I usually really get into it a little later on because that's when the interesting stuff really begins, but with this, I had that feeling from the start. I love when Meliodas, Elizabeth and Hawk begin to search for the other Sins and then they all go up against all the other demons in the kingdom. But then I love when all the other characters all come together at the end to fight Hendrickson and that entire fight alone is incredible.
3. The Red Ribbon Army Saga (Dragon Ball):
In terms of the actual story in the original Dragon Ball series, I think this might actually be the best. I recently watched the entirety of the original Dragon Ball show and I remember this part being the one that interested me the most. I wouldn't say the best in terms of the entire series, but it's the part that made me the most invested. I love how Goku is trying to go around trying to find the Dragon Balls along with helping other people, mainly people who're being terrorised by the Red Ribbon Army and it's fun to see Goku taking them on. I mainly like the part where Goku goes to Jingle Village and meets Snow and her family and then he goes to Muscle Tower where he fights more of the army and then meets Eighter, who, like I said before, is a character I really like. I just had a really fun time watching this and it was nice seeing a lot of this happen like Goku actually meeting Snow, then meeting Eighter and then Goku helping Eighter live in the village.
2. Dimension World Arc (Yu-Gi-Oh! GX):
Coming in close to number 1 is the entire third season of the second Yu-Gi-Oh! series. I've already discussed about this a bunch already, but this entire arc is so much fun from start to finish. The whole thing with Yubel manipulating Viper is fun and makes Viper an extremely hateable character until you realise his motivation and it's cool when she teleports the school to the different dimension when she takes control of students and then they have to team up to stop her only for her to take Jesse and then they have to go again but then things turn wrong with Jaden eventually becoming the Supreme King. And, again, there's never a part of this that's not entertaining and it's fun to see everything being uncovered with different things happening and, like I've said a hundred times already, Yubel is just a cool villain and everything with her is fun to watch. I do wish we saw more of her in her normal form, but what we did get was still awesome. And, really, I think this entire arc should be discussed about more because I think it's just a blast.
And my number 1 most underrated arc in anime is... The Metarex Saga (Sonic X):

And finally at number 1 is the final arc of Sonic X, The Metarex Saga. This is probably the ultimate example I can think of in terms of an anime arc that's never discussed about at all. Not that I can necessarily blame them because Sonic X itself is already not the best anime ever. I know many years ago, I was talking about how much I love it and talking about how it's one of my favourite animes ever, but I recently watched the whole show again and was thinking about it some more and it wasn't as good as I remember. Definitely still enjoyable for myself personally, but not as much as when I was younger. Still though, I still really like this entire arc seeing as it's the entire third season of the show. It's like what I was saying about Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, the entire third season counts as this and it's a really enjoyable part of the story in my opinion. I really love the whole setup with everyone having to go up against the Metarex and Cosmo coming to them for help. I also just really like Cosmo. I think she's probably my favourite character who originated from this show. I also think characters like Dark Oak were pretty cool too and I like the whole final fight with Sonic and the others going up against them and trying to stop them, especially the part where Sonic and Shadow go Super and attack them themselves. Plus, I like how they team up with Eggman and Team Chaotix and it is pretty sad when Cosmo disappears at the end and I find it fairly sad when Chris leaves at the end too. So, overall, I can't say I disagree with many people's thoughts on this show, but I do still really enjoy this arc and I do think it's incredibly underrated. And all that is why the Metarex Saga is my most underrated arc in anime. And so, everyone, those are my picks for my top 10 underrated arcs in anime. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment