Sunday 7 March 2021

WandaVision: Season 1

And so, everyone, the first season of WandaVision just finished on Friday on Disney+ and I was thankfully able to watch the entire series. I didn't start it immediately it began because I was gonna wait until all the episodes were out to watch it, but eventually, I think it was around episode 5 was released that I began watching it because some things were being spoiled for me, so I just decided to start it at that point and I'm really happy I did because this series was really awesome. It's not perfect and I do have problems with it, but, overall, I really enjoyed a lot of it. Also, this is going to have all the spoilers because I really want to talk about this whole show properly. The basic plot is that we're shown that Wanda and Vision are now living in this sitcom-like world with so many weird things happening. And each episode takes place in different decades. The first starts off in the 1940's and the next in the 1950's with the two of them living their lives as a couple. And everything feels like it's going on normally, but every once in a while, some weird thing will happen. And that was the part of the first half of the show I really enjoyed. I really enjoyed the mystery aspect to the show and it just made me more and more curious as to what's going on because there's all these things happening, plus there's the fact that Wanda and Vision are in this world and there's no explanation straight away so I was curious to know what was going on. Although, that first part of the series was probably my least favourite part of the show because I didn't like the whole sitcom thing they were going for. I get what they were doing and it wasn't terrible, but I personally didn't really enjoy it. Maybe because I don't like shows like that in general or something like that, but, overall, the whole actual show aspect about it that the two of them were inhabiting was my least favourite part. But everything else was really, really good. What I loved the most was everything happening on the outside because S.W.O.R.D is investigating what was happening because the town that Wanda and Vision were in, Westview, was surrounded by a hexagon of Wanda's powers so they were investigating it. Not only that, but we get to see Jimmy Woo, Darcy and Monica Rambeau again. Their scenes together were really cool and really interesting and I liked seeing these characters from the movies making their appearance here. I also thought it was cool and sad when we see Monica return from the snap and it was sad when she realised her mom was dead. And, really, just about everything to do with them was what made me the most interested, as well as just the mystery of what all the weird things happening were. It's kinda the opposite of what everyone else who watched the show liked. Everyone I've watched about the show said they liked all the sitcom stuff and thought the stuff with S.W.O.R.D was kinda boring. I thought the opposite honestly. But the mystery of what was happening made it all really interesting to watch from beginning to end and kept making me more and more curious. And, I think what made the show better for me was what happens after episode 5 because we get to see more things happen like Vision starts suspicious about everything going on and is noticing that's something's going on. And, of course, if you've seen the series, then you know what happens here. We get to see Evan Peters back as Quicksilver. Our first M.C.U and X-Men crossover and it was so awesome to see that. I loved Quicksilver in the X-Men movies and it was so cool to see him here.

It just got me super excited for what was coming up next because it was at this point I caught up with the series, and so I very excited to see what was gonna happen next. And what does happen was really cool with Quicksilver having fun with Wanda's kids, who were also born in one episode and then were grown kids in the next. But, I think what I liked the most was at the end when we see Agatha, Wanda's neighbour, who sorta acts odd and Vision is still trying to figure out what's happening and at the end, he goes outside the hexagon and is beginning to come apart with the members of S.W.O.R.D just watching him but then one of Wanda's kid sorta senses it and Wanda then expands the hexagon to save him. Again, just all these different things were just making me more and more curious. We also find out that Monica has gone into the hexagon and trying to speak to Wanda about all this. Darcy also gets trapped in it and then begins to tell Vision about what's happening and how she's been seeing everything that's been going on because the sitcom can actually be seen by S.W.O.R.D on the outside. All this mystery and stuff like this just kept making me curious to know how it was gonna end and, in my opinion, it all ended in a really good, but also slightly disappointing ending. Most people apparently said they thought the ending to the series was a disappointment, I personally enjoyed it, especially the last two episodes. We basically see that Agatha is actually this witch who's been trying to manipulate Wanda and steal her powers and a part of that is by showing her her past. We get to see Agatha's past and Wanda's as well. I especially liked seeing Wanda's past and seeing the different things shown that we were told about before like we get to see her as a kid with her family before they were killed and then we Hydra gave her her powers and things like that. It was cool to see that, and it was nice seeing why Wanda made this world. It was due to grief. After Endgame, she went to Westview and accidently made the hexagon out of her grief because of all the terrible things in her life, especially since this happens after Vision is killed. But she kinda went along with it because it was making her happy. Though, in doing so, she also kinda because taking the people in the town prisoner because they act the way they would in her head but the people they really are are trapped inside they're bodies and occasionally, they'll come through and kinda freak out because they've seen everything that's been going on and so they're scared. But I liked others things too like we find out why everything Wanda created was like a sitcom. It's because when she was a kid, she liked to watch sitcoms with her family. And all other moments like that in that episode that help explain more about her and we learn that Agatha uses this book of magic with her spells and she apparently came from a family of witches herself. And we get some really cool scenes like that in episode 8 where we see both of their pasts. And, really, I think this all helped the last episode being really cool. Like I said, some people thought it was disappointing and I did too a little bit, but I still liked it. It was cool to see Wanda and Agatha fighting and especially seeing Vision fighting that white Vision that S.W.O.R.D created out of the body of the original Vision. And I like how he was able to convince him who he really was and then he flies off. I assume this means he's back to normal and he'll return as the real Vision for Season 2. But the ending with Wanda and Agatha was really cool, especially when Agatha actually calls her Scarlet Witch and she gets her Scarlet Witch comic costume.

And I assume at the end Wanda just kinda made Agatha a prisoner of her sitcom counterpart. Like she's just gonna stay the way she was acting in the show forever now or something. Also, speaking of Agatha, I thought she was an okay villain. The only problem I had with her is that she felt kinda cartoonish at times and her dialogue was really cheesy sometimes too. So, yeah, not one of the best M.C.U villains, but still an entertaining one. And then, the very end when Wanda puts down the hexagon and has to say goodbye to Vision and her kids and everything was pretty sad, although, it didn't really hit me that much, mainly because I personally haven't been the biggest fan of these two in the M.C.U, but it still worked as a good ending and I liked seeing Wanda talking to Monica before she left. It was also funny when Quicksilver was revealed to just be some random guy that Agatha just brainwashed to be like Pietro. It was kinda annoying that it wasn't really him because I woulda liked to have seen him again later on, but still. And now, let's talk about the ending. I thought the part where Monica was talking to that Skrull was really cool and when she mentioned how a friend of Maria's wanted to speak to her. I assumed she meant Nick, so it would be cool if that actually was the case. It was also just cool to see a Skrull in this scene and cool to see her talking to Monica.

And then, finally, the last end credit scene, we get to see what looks like Wanda's astral form reading the book that Agatha had and is trying to practice her magic more and get a better control of it but then she hears the voices of her kids in her head. I'm not gonna lie, when Wanda flew off, I thought she was going to see Stephen Strange to learn how to control her magic better, especially since Agatha does mentioned the Sorcerer Supreme.

And all that got me curious to know what this all meant and what was gonna happen next. And overall, yeah, I really enjoyed the series. I didn't love everything and not everything out at the end, but it's still really well made. I especially have to give credit to the fact that they made every episode feel like it really took place in those decades. I don't know what they did to do them like this, but it was really impressive. And the cast is also still fantastic, especially Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany, who are both really charismatic in these roles. And the appearances from the other cast members from other Marvel movies is cool too. But, again, what I liked the most about this was the whole mystery aspect to the show and every episode just made me more and more curious to find out what was gonna happen next. And, really, this show is just pure entertainment all the way through. I personally didn't love everything and some things weren't very entertaining for me personally, but the rest totally made up for it and I highly recommend checking this show out if you can. And I'm still really excited for the other Disney+ Marvel shows coming soon. And so, everyone, that's my review of WandaVision: Season 1. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment