Saturday 13 March 2021

My top 5 Hunter x Hunter characters

So, my last favourite characters from an anime list was my favourite characters from Yu Yu Hakusho, and so, this will be me counting down my top 5 favourite characters from Yoshihiro Togashi's other popular series, Hunter x Hunter. I haven't seen everything from this series yet, but I'm almost finished and I do have all the manga volumes anyway and I feel like I've seen enough to make a list like this. This might be the last of these top lists of my favourite characters from different anime's for a while because I don't think there's many more I could do given how many I've covered already and even some of the ones I've spoken about before, I don't feel like I can make lists on their characters yet. Anyway, let's focus on Hunter x Hunter. Hunter x Hunter is definitely a more interesting one when it comes to it's characters because I feel like a lot of them are very different from other anime characters. And so, let's begin and I hope you all like this.
5. Colt:

Starting us off at number 5 is one of the Chimera Ants, Colt. While, yes, Colt is just another Chimera Ant like a whole bunch of the rest, what I like is how he feels different from a lot of the others. He may have been a servant to the queen and helped kill people, but you eventually start liking him, like when he tries to get the queen help after she gives birth to Meruem, is with her as she dies and agrees to look after Kite after he's reborn as a Chimera Ant himself. Plus, I like his relationship with some of the Hunters like Morel and Knuckle. They may not have had many scenes together, but I think they were great in the time they had. And, sure, other Chimera Ants like Meleoron and Ikalgo may have become good too, but I just enjoyed Colt the most out of all of them.
4. Gon: 
Next up the main protagonist himself, the young Hunter, Gon Freecss. After being left on Whale Island by his father, Gon made it his life's mission to become a Hunter and find him. And, along his journey, we learn more and more different things about him. The biggest of which is probably his true nature. For a lot of the series, you could almost kinda see Gon as this innocent, fun-loving, happy kid, but as the series keeps going, you realise just how dark and kinda selfish he really is. And I don't mean this in a bad way. You see why he become friends with a lot of people, but there's a lot of moments where you see that he can be super brutal and unrelenting he can be sometimes. I mainly like him because he's definitely a good person a lot of the time, but I also like how he's not like a regular Shonen Jump protagonist who's 100% good all the time. Plus, he's just a fun character in general and it's fun to follow him throughout the story.
3. Meruem:
At number 3 is the king of Chimera Ants, Meruem. I already mentioned Meruem in the post I did recently of me talking about my favourite villains in anime and Meruem is definitely my favourite in the whole series. Like I said in that post, I mainly like him because he's not a typical Shonen villain and there's a lot of layers to him. You could almost say he does when he's introduced, but as the show keeps going, you begin to see him grow and change and get more developed and it combinates in where you really do feel sorry for him as it keeps going. I also love how he's a character who's so overpowered and strong that no one could ever really beat him, even though he was eventually killed by Netero's poisoning. And, like I said before, you can't help but really sympathise with him at the end when he dies. Not to mention his whole story with Komogi is simultaneously heart warming and heart breaking at the same time.
2. Hisoka:

Coming in close to number murdering magician, Hisoka. It's honestly a little tough to explain this one, but Hisoka is just such a fun character in the series. We see him do so many terrible things with him killing so many people just for the fun of it and yet he's never once hateable. There's just this charisma about him that just makes him constantly entertaining. Not to mention the fact that Keith Silverstein's performance in the dub is perfect and helps make Hisoka even more entertaining. He's also really funny in a lot of scenes and it's weird how he kinda gets aroused from the notion of fighting strong opponents. And a lot of that all attributes to Hisoka being such a fun character despite the fact that we really don't know anything about him in regards to past or anything else like that.
And my number 1 favourite Hunter x Hunter character is... Killua:
And finally at number 1 is the young Zoldyck assassin, Killua. This is like what I was saying in my top 5 Yu Yu Hakusho characters where one of the main character's closest friends and allies is my number 1 choice. But, yeah, everything about Killua is fantastic. He has an awesome design, he's written brilliantly and his journey is fascinating. I love how he's introduced as a kid who ran away from home and did the Hunter Exam merely for the fun of it nothing more. But I think what I love about him is his arc he goes through in the series with his friendship with Gon. These two have one of, if not the best friendship relationship in all of anime and it's amazing watching it evolve throughout the entire show's runtime. Killua is also just a fun character by himself with being incredibly deadly but still kind when he needs to be and is exactly what a character like him should be. There's also the fact that his fight scenes are some of the best in the series with him having cool skills like his assassin skills and then later with his Nen abilities like all his lightning powers. And, really, just everything to do with Killua is perfect and is everything I want in an anime character. And all that is why Killua is my favourite character in Hunter x Hunter. And so, everyone, those are my picks for my top 5 Hunter x Hunter characters. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment