Sunday 23 April 2023

My Neighbors The Yamadas

So, guys, we've kinda gone back to Studio Ghibli movies that I personally don't really like and one that I personally think is kinda bad. Again, not terrible, just one that I don't think is good, My Neighbors The Yamadas. This was actually the first Studio Ghibli movie I saw that I didn't like. It's like Ocean Waves where nothing really happens and it doesn't build to anything so I just found it really boring and a waste of time. The story in this one isn't really a single story. It's a bunch of different stories about this family called the Yamadas doing different things and in different situations and how they live their lives and none of it is interesting to me. It also moves at the pace of a slug and never really does anything interesting. The first story deals with the family losing the daughter named Nonoko and then it focuses on the dad and son trying to bond and all the film does is just show very mundane stuff with this family extremely slowly and uninterestingly that it never really gets captivating. I know some of these were mostly supposed to be kinda comical and humourous, but I just never found the film funny and so a lot of the film just feels like a huge drag. It honestly felt like some kinda TV show episodes put together in a movie, but they were just kinda boring so I just never really cared. I'm not gonna lie, when I first saw this, I didn't even finish it because it bored me so much and I didn't really care to finish it to the end. I will say, something this film does that's kinda nice is the animation. Sure, it looks kinda cheap and it's not used for anything particularally mind-blowing, but the style is pretty unique for Ghibli with looking like classic Japanese sketches and it looks unique for a film. Aside from that though, I just don't care about this film at all. Whether or not I can say it's the worst Ghibli film is kinda hard to say, but it's definitely one of them, which is a shame because this film was actually directed by Isao Takahata, as in the same guy who directed Grave Of The Fireflies, Only Yesterday and Pom Poko. I rememeber mentioning how it felt like he seems to like to make movies about characters living their lives and he did a good job doing that with those other movies, but I don't think it really works here because everything just happens really slowly and without much interest that I just didn't care for it. Again, the film itself is harmless and doesn't really do anything wrong, it's just something I don't care for. The dub in this is pretty good though like Jim Belushi, Molly Shannon, Daryl Sabara, Liliana Mumy and Tress MacNeille. They all do a good job but I feel like a lot of it is just wasted. So, yeah, I know all I did was just complain about this movie the whole time, but it really is just a movie that I really don't want to watch again and one that I think just isn't very good. Again, kinda like some of these other ones I've talked about, if you're curious to check this out with the other Studio Ghibli movies, it's a harmless waste of time, but, really I just really didn't like it and think it's one of the worst Studio Ghibli movies. So, that review was really, really short, but I really just don't have much to talk about. So, yeah, guys, that's my review of My Neighbors The Yamadas. Thank you all for reading and plesse comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment