Friday 14 April 2023

Ocean Waves

So guys, this is another interesting Studio Ghibli movie out there, Ocean Waves. If you remember when I did my Nausicaa review, I mentioned there was one Studio Ghibli movie that was never dubbed and this is the one I was talking about. For whatever reason, this was just never dubbed and, apparently, this was one of the last Ghibli movies brought outside of Japan. And so, in the end, I'm not gonna lie, I think might be my least favourite Studio Ghibli movie. I don't think it's terrible, but I also don't really think it's good. If you remember the other thing I said in my Nausicaa review, I mentioned how I don't think the slow pace in these Ghibli movies works every time, and this is one of the best examples of that not working. I just really, really don't like this movie at all. The story's about a guy named Taku who's remembering his high school years and remembering a girl he knew there named Rikako and the different antics they got into. And the whole film is really just that, just showing them in school and doing different things. It's actually like Only Yesterday where a lot of the fim is a flashback showing what happened in the past and so maybe they were trying to do the same thing here. But, unlike that film that showed really interesting situations that helped us relate to the characters and made them grow over time and feel real, this film just shows Taku and Rikako doing different things like her borrowing money from him and having him help her when going on a trip and they made these different things so boring. I mentioned before about how Ghibli films usually do a great job at making super mundane things seem really interesting and likeable even when they're really slow. Here, it really doesn't work and these things they do are so boring and the characters themselves are so boring and not very likeable either. Rikako herself is really unlikeable with hitting and slapping Taku even after the things he does and so there's never a moment in this that makes us like these characters. I also just don't really remember anything about these guys either so it makes it hard to like these characters on that level as well. I will admit, I do think the animation is done well here. Something that I think Japanese animated does really well is water and considering this film does that a lot, it's really amazing to look at. But, really considering how I just don't care or like any of these characters, it's not really worth watching this film for the animation. And, at the end, when Taku says he loves Rikako, it doesn't feel earned because the film doesn't make that feel real at all. Really, I just don't like following the two of them doing these things like when Rikako goes to see her dad and the whole stuff in the hotel is just so boring and I don't care one little bit about these two. So, yeah, that was super short, but that really is my overall thoughts on Ocean Waves. Maybe if you're kinda curious to check this out and want to see this with the other Ghibli movies, I guess you can see this, but, personally, I never really want to see this again and I think it's probably my least favourite Studio Ghibli movie. So, that's my review for Ocean Waves. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment