Wednesday 19 April 2023

Whisper Of The Heart

Okay, so, the last couple of Studio Ghibli moive I've talked about on here, I've mentioned how I think they're either pretty good or not that memorable, but, now we're back to ones that I think are absolutely fantastic with this, Whisper Of The Heart. I honestly love this movie and it's one of my favourite Ghibli movies. I just think that a lot of what the last few movies have done pretty good at is done really fantastically here. It's like when I did my Kiki's Delivery Service review where I said the first time I saw it, it filled me with so many emotions and the same is true here. This was also directed by someone who only directed this film and no other one from Ghibli before he passed away. Anyway, the story for this movie follows a girl named Shizuku who loves reading books and going to the library. She also discovers that a lot of the books she's checking out are also getting check out by the by the same person and she begins to wonder who the person is only to discover it's someone she's beginning to get annoyed by. The guy's name is Seiji and the two of them begin to talk more and develop feelings for each other. Not only that, but Shizuku begins going to an old antique shop and meets the owner who's actually Seiji's grandad and she gets interested in an old cat doll that's there called the Baron and she decides she wants to write a story about it. And, that's really about it. There's some other details too, but most of the film is centred around Shizuku and Seiji's relationship and Shizuku's desire to do writing. But what I think helps with this is that a lot of the film is also a bit of a coming of age movie. Shizuku is trying to find out what she wants to do with her life and she's also comparing herself to other poeple she knows and some of her friends and a lot of the film also centres around the mindset she has and how it's beginning to change since she's a teenager. It's kinda like when I did my review for Only Yesterday where I feel like I can relate to her and I can totally understand when it comes to not knowing where to go in life with all the different things happening and how you process them. But the other aspects to the film like Shizuku's relationship with Seiji and her family are nice too and I really like the relationship she develops with Seiji's grandad, it's really sweet. It's also nice when we see her begin to write and we sorta see how she imagines it in one instance and it's cool when she imagines talking to the Baron in it. Speaking of, they actually made a sorta sequel spin-off thing with the Baron in a later movie. We'll get to that film later, but it's cool they took something small from this film and decided to make something else with him. But, back to this movie, I just love Shizuku's development through the film since we see her develop different feelings and we see how they come about with the various things happening and it's really nice to watch, it's especially nice to watch at the start when she's trying to help her friend and the two of them try to learn a song that Shizuku herself wrote and it's nice how each thing she experiences has an inspiration for her and she begins to grow from it. Again, how Ghibli usually does these kinda things is great to watch and seeing how she grows is well done. You could also even see it as kinda tragic since we see her also comparing herself to other people and thinking she's not good enough so a lot of the others try to help her through that too. Really, I think the main thing I like here is just the relationships that build here and how Shizuku learns from them and how each thing is like an inspiration to her. It's honestly really relatable to me personally in different ways and I really like that about this. The ending is also nice where Shizuku is able to meet Seiji again they have a nice moment together and he feels like he knows what he wants to do with his life. Really guys, I just find this to be a lot like Kiki's Delivery Service where a lot of this does feel like some mundane things that maybe don't amount to that much, but it's still told extremely well and how Shizuku learns from everything and learns more about what she wants out of life and everything else is just so facinating to watch and I just love this movie. The animation is also a bit like Grave Of The Fireflies where everyone and everything just moves like real people or things and it just makes everything that the characters do and go through feel very real. The English dub is also perfect in this. Brittany Snow and David Gallagher are both fantastic as Shizuku and Seiji. Actually, before this, I only knew them as Naminé and Riku in Kingdom Hearts and this was the second real thing I've seen them do outside of that and they're both incredible in these roles, and everyone else does a great job too. Really, I just think this is a great movie that, again, just shows more and more why these Studio Ghibli movies are so, so, so good and I highly recommend checking this film out if you haven't yet. So, that's my review for Whisper Of The Heart. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment