Saturday 1 April 2023

Porco Rosso

So guys, moving onto the next Studio Ghibli movie, we have one that's pretty interesting for me personally, Porco Rosso. When I say it's interesting, I mean it's a film that I know has huge praise from everyone like a lot of other Ghibli movies, but I haven't really heard that many people's opinions about this film like I have a lot of the others. Sure, whenever I saw any kinda review for this movie, it was really positive and people call it a good fun time, but still. But anyway, as for this movie for me personally, I'd say it's the same as the last film, Only Yesterday, where I don't think it's one of my Ghibli movies, but it's still really good regardless. Porco Rosso is the name of the main character in the film who's a pilot in 1930 and he's also a pig due to some situation he was in a long time ago. Nowadays, he's mostly just lazing around and helping people but being in debt to other people who're after him. He's also got a friend named Gina who's worried for him and there's another pilot named Curtis who wants Gina to marry him. After Porco's plane is shot down, he asks a friend of his to fix it but he lets his granddaughter named Fio do it. Fio also decides to go with Porco and stay with him, but, after Curtis challenges Porco to a plane fight, he decides he now wants to marry her. So, they make a bet that if Porco wins, Curtis pays all his debts, but if Curtis wins, he gets to marry Fio. So, that's really the majority of the movie. You get to see Porco going from place to place and talking to people while trying to stay alive from the people who are after him. But what I think makes this one a good experience with something like that is that the characters are a lot of fun to follow and watch. I really like Porco himself with being this kinda jaded guy who's trying to get through life however he can but still trying to help people in whatever way he can. I also like how even though he is a pig, everyone just kinda accepts it, mainly because he's been this way for a while and so they're just used to it. And I also like Fio too. I really like their dynamic and it's especially fun towards the end when Fio starts getting special treatment from the pirates, basically some of the guys who are after Porco because they really like her. The pirates themselves are also just a lot of fun to watch too. But I also like some of the other minor things too like Porco just talking to his friends and everything else like that that helps make the film enjoyable even when there's not really anything interesting going on. I know I've said that with every Ghibli movie so far, but, unlike a few, I don't think absolutely everything is super engaging here. It's not terrible and definitely not the worst way Ghibli's ever done this kinda thing, but, occasionally, some of this isn't as interesting as the way a lot of these other movies have done things like that. But still, it's nothing awful. For me, any kinda complaint like that is made up at the end in my opinion. Like I said, Porco and Curtis have their dogfight and that leads to a fist fight with them until it all comes to an end with everyone having to run from the authorities and when Fio kisses Porco, it may be implied that the curse placed on that is lifted but we're never shown it. I almost kinda dislike how we're never told about whether or not it actually is, but another part of me does like how it's unanswered and it's just kinda left open to interpretation. As for the actual pig idea itself, I think it works well enough. I mean, it does help give the film a recognisable face and so I think it works fine. The animation is also just as good as it always is here, especially in regards to the action scenes, the dogfights with the planes look really cool. The dub is also extremely well done here like Michael Keaton as Porco himself and Susan Egans, Kimberly Williams-Paisley and Carey Elwes do great too. So, like a lot of these other Ghibli movies, this is a really, really good film, though I don't entirely know how often I'd personally want to check this out since I personally don't think this is one of their best and I don't entirely see anything truly exceptional here. Still though, this is really, really good and it is a lot of fun so I would still recommend checking this out. So, that's my review for Porco Rosso. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment