Sunday 10 July 2022

Thor: Love And Thunder

So, everyone, we reached my most anticipated M.C.U project of 2022, Thor: Love And Thunder. Out of all the M.C.U movies and shows this year, this was the one I was most excited for. It was the first time a solo character from the series was having a fourth movie and Taika Waititi was returning to direct, not to mention the cast, both old and new, were looking really promising. They were also using a pretty interesting comic storyline. However, I hadn't heard great things about this film before seeing it, like, it didn't have a great rating on Rotten Tomatoes. So, did the film live up to my expectations? Honestly, not really. I liked it fine, but there were some things I wasn't a fan of and it is an M.C.U movie I wouldn't place really high. But, I did have fun with it and it did leave me with a lot of great things to remember and it is still good regardless. And, like always, this will have no spoilers for the start, then I'll do a spoiler section afterwards. So, what's the story? Thor is hearing stories about a new villain named Gorr The God Butcher, played by Christian Bale, who's trying to murder all gods, so, Thor tries to raise an army to stop him while Jane has returned with Mjolnir and now they're trying to protect the new Asgard as well. So, yeah, that's enough for now. So, a fairly common criticism I was hearing from this was that it was apparently a lot like Ragnarok and I was curious to know what people were talking about, and, after seeing, I can see what they meant. There were specific moments that reminded of that film and it felt like they were trying to recapture the feeling of that film. Something else about Ragnarok that was noticeable here was the constant comedy. I personally never thought Ragnarok had too many jokes. I thought it had a perfect balance of comedy and heart to it. But, here, I thought it did go a little too hard into trying to be funny. There are definitely dramatic moments, some of which actually did almost make me cry, but, the comedy just went a bit overboard for me. I also don't think the pacing is great here. Unlike Ragnarok, which also had a fast pace, it kinda felt like this one went by a little too fast. That might be because this film is kinda short so they probably cut a fair amount of things out, but the film did already kinda feel pretty long as it was. But, with all those problems said, there is still a load of things I absolutely loved here. For one, clearly, the performances were fantastic here. Chris Hemsworth is of course fantastic as Thor again like he's always been, and this is my favourite version of Jane in the M.C.U, as well as my favourite Natalie Portman performance as her. This is also the first movie that actually made me like Thor and Jane's relationship and I thought they worked really well together, and Tessa Thompson and Taika Waititi are both great again. I also loved the inclusion of new characters like Russell Crowe as Zeus, who was really funny and on the right level of being a huge douche but you still like him. However, honestly, the best part about the film in my opinion is Gorr. This guy is honestly one of my favourite M.C.U villains. Christian Bale does a really great job as the character and he's actually really sympathetic. You understand why he's doing what he's doing and there are a good amount of scenes that do make you feel bad for him, especially towards the end, and he is super intimidating. I'd say he's my second favourite Thor villain next to Loki. And, even though I think there's a bit too much comedy, the comedy is still funny a lot of the time. The film is also super well directed with the colours and cinematography just like Ragnarok and Waititi continues to be one of the most unique directors of the M.C.U with some amazing shots and making the film super colourful. The film also has some surprises that I didn't see coming. Some are actually kinda undercut by something happening, so some moments like that felt kinda pointless, but there are still some moments I didn't expect to see happen. I also felt like the film did do well with some character arcs here, especially with Jane. I also enjoyed the Guardians inclusion here. They're not in this a ton, though, I didn't expect them to be, but what we got was really fun, and the ending actually did almost make me cry because of how sorry you feel for Gorr. So, overall, I mostly just thought Thor: Love And Thunder was a bit of a mixed bag. I'm more postive than negative with this, but, yeah, I personally had a good amount of problems with this and the problem people had with Ragnarok with that being too funny was a lot more prevalent here. There were also some tiny moments throughout that I wasn't the biggest fan of and that also kinda brought my enjoyment of this down a small bit. But, yeah, I'd put this film next to Ragnarok as my second favourite Thor movie. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think. Okay, now we're gonna go into the spoilers. If you don't want the film spoiled, go see the film and then come back and read the rest of this.

Spoilers:

Okay, so the first main thing I guess would be the whole introduction with Gorr. This is what I was talking about with his character being really sympathetic. I already knew what his backstory was from the comics, so it was nice to see it in the film. And the part about Jane having cancer and thinking Mjolnir could heal her, while I felt a part of that didn't work out great until the end, it was still something I thought was pretty tragic as it went on when we learn more about it. As for the Asgard kids, I thought they were fine. I thought the performances were fine, but I did really like Kieron L. Dyer as Axl. I thought it was cool that we learn that Heimdall had a son and I really liked him. Now, the part of the film that I mentioned I thought they did a good job with emotionally but the kinda ruined was when it looked like Korg died. I honestly thought he was dead for real. I think they should have gone with him dying because it was then interrupted with him not dying and adding another joke to it. It wasn't terrible, it just felt like a tonal inconsistency. Same with Valkyrie, I thought she was gonna die, but it was nice she didn't since she's one of the most likeable characters in these movies. And then the actual ending with Gorr trying to get Stormbreaker and wish for the death of the gods was pretty cool too. I did think it was kinda weird how all the kids get powers, but the actual fight with Thor and Jane vs. Gorr was pretty cool. And it was around there I thought Gorr was pretty intimidating. And then the actual ending, I actually didn't expect Jane to actual die, though that was a good scene and it was pretty sad, same with Gorr and his daughter. I like how he got her back and him dying was really emotional. I thought Bale did a great job in that scene. And I like how Thor decided to take in Gorr's daughter as his own. It was pretty cool to see where the title came from with that. And then, for the mid credit scene, I loved it. We get to see Zeus survived his fight with Thor and we even get to see Hercules. That was awesome. He's being played by someone named Brett Goldstein and it looks cool. It's really cool to have the Marvel version of Hercules in the M.C.U. I assume he'll be a small villain in the next Thor movie and become an ally at some point. And then, the end credit scene, it was nice to see Idris Elba back as Heimdall and having him and Jane meet again was nice and it was just cool to see Jane in Valhalla. And, that's about it really, those scenes and all that made me happy to see the film, but it's still a movie I don't think I'd wanna watch that many more times. Anyway, that's my review of Thor: Love And Thunder. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment