Thursday 3 November 2022

Black Adam

So guys, we're at the latest DC.E.U movie, Black Adam. I actually saw this on the day of release here on the 22nd of October two weeks ago. I'm only doing this now because I wasn't entirely sure if I really wanted to do this. But, now I am and I'll also be doing full spoilers from the beginning because this has been out for about two weeks now and this is also a kinda hard movie to talk about without spoilers, so, if you don't want it spoiled, go watch it then come back and read this. So, this wasn't really a movie I was super hyped for. It looked fine, but nothing about it was really impressing me. I also just hadn't heard that much before seeing it and whatever I did hear wasn't great. I also just didn't have my hopes up for the movie at all because, since nothing was impressing me, I just wasn't all that excited for it. And so, in the end, yeah, I thought this was pretty bad. I don't know if I can say terrible, but, yeah, I just saw this as a bad film. There's a lot of problems I wanna talk about, but I'll go over the story first and I'll go into my general thoughts after. So, it starts by taking place a long time ago showing a the people of Kahndaq under the rule of a king until one of them gets powers and is able to overthrow him. Now, in modern times, he's seen as the hero of the country but it's now taken over by some organisation. Some lady is now trying to find anything to help the country and she discovers the tomb of the hero who's now called Black Adam, played by Dwayne Johnson. He decides to try to help but in brutal ways which gets the attention of the Justice Society like Hawkman, played by Aldis Hodge, Doctor Fate, played by Pierce Brosnan, Atom Smasher, played by Noah Centineo, and Cyclone, played by Quintessa Swindell, who are trying to stop him from going too far. And, I'm gonna stop there. So, immediately, I guess the first thing I should say is that I knew basically nothing about the character before seeing it, so, it was kinda nice having this be my introduction to him, and the main positive I can say is that Dwayne Johnson does pretty good with the material he's given, but, the main problem I have with him doesn't even have to do with him, it's the fact that he felt pretty wasted in the film. I felt like they didn't do anything with him that really made him or the character stand out. And, really, the main thing I took away from this film is that I thought it was really weird. I thought this was a really weirdly put together film, from the structure of the story to the pacing that felt really all over the place and the main problem I had with it was the characters. The fact that this film had so many characters in it and we didn't get to know anything about any of them. We learn a little bit about Black Adam himself, but, aside from that small bit, we know basically nothing about the other characters, especially in regards to the Justice Society. And the whole movie felt like it was really trying to force them into this, even though this is supposed to be Black Adam's own solo movie, it felt like they really wanted the Justice Society in this it felt really cluttered. It almost felt like the movie didn't know it was supposed to be a Black Adam movie and wanted to force the Justice Society in this despite the fact that we've never seen any of the members in DC.E.U movies before this. And, again, even in just this movie, we learn nothing about them. The only one we learn a little bit about is Cyclone, but, even then, that was really clumsily done with how it happened since we just hear her giving some exposition to Atom Smasher about what happened to her for a few seconds and it felt like such clumsy and lazy exposition. The movie is also just paced really weird. Like, as soon as Black Adam is freed and he has that action scene with all the soldiers, I just thought that this felt so weird with how it was told and paced and everything. I can't even explain it, just its placement in the film just made it so weird and just watching it play out in the movie felt so bizarre. That, and, also, the whole sequence of Black Adam joining in on the climax felt rushed as well. I also just didn't really care for any of the characters involved, especially the human family Black Adam stays with for the film, I didn't care for any of the characters like that. There's also some specific moments that I normally wouldn't notice, especially in a better movie, but, there's some really huge plotholes that never get answered, like what crime did the lady in the movie do that made her wanted and how did the organisation get a photo of her? There's also that moment when that one guy gets shot in that apartment and after he gets help, he suddenly acts like it's nothing. I know stuff like that is really minor and insignificant overall, but, when a movie just isn't good and has a lot of these moments sprinkled throughout, it's hard to not notice them. Also, on the visuals, this film also just looked really weird. For one, something about how it was shot was kinda strange, but also the C.G.I looked horrible a few times, especially in the finale and mostly involving the villain. And, yeah, speaking of which, I thought the fact that the main villain was revealed to be a descendant of the king Black Adam defeated was really strange as well. And the fact that he turns into some devil creature was a cool idea, I guess, but, the main problem I had is that the C.G.I looked awful. The texture on him never looked real and the actual final fight was pretty off putting. There were definitely some cool things in it, I liked Doctor Fate using his powers against him, and I did think them using his helmet to fake him out was kinda clever, but that's about it. In terms of the other cast members, they were mostly doing a good job, I especially liked Noah Centineo as Atom Smasher, he gave me some Tom Holland Spider-Man vibes and I think he was probably my favourite part of the film, but, again, the fact that we knew basically nothing about these characters made it hard to really enjoy them. Some characters were also just kinda bland as well, like I said, I just didn't care for any of the characters so that kinda made the film feel longer than it really was. And, not caring for any of the characters involved made the death of Doctor Fate feel really empty and hollow, which is a shame, I know a bit of Doctor Fate as a character and I would have loved to have seen a great portrayal of him in the film, but I just don't think we got that. Part of that is also in the fact that they kinda made him and Hawkman seem kinda unlikeable for a while. And, as far as the mid credit scene, it was probably my favourite scene in the movie. Amanda Waller shows up to talk to Black Adam but then she sends Superman to talk to him. Firstly, it was great to see Henry Cavil return as Superman. I think he's a great actor and it was nice to see it confirmed that he's back. I was kinda wondering if these movies were gonna continue, but, now that this has happened, I guess it will, and, in general, it was just nice to see Cavil as Superman back. This also makes me hope they can get Ray Fisher back as well. So, yeah, that mid credit scene makes me really excited for what they could do in the future, but, the entire film overall just left me feeling like this was so weird. In terms of how it was put together and edited and everything else, it was just a really weird movie to me. So, yeah, I know I pretty much just complained the whole time there, but those really were all my thoughts when I came out of it and I saw it with my sister and she agreed with all the problems I just mentioned. So, yeah, I guess if you're the least bit curious, I guess you could check this out, but, I just didn't like it at all and thought it was just a bad movie. So, overall, yeah guys, those are my thoughts on Black Adam. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment