Sunday 30 November 2014

Atlantis: The Lost Empire

Atlantis: The Lost Empire. I know it's weird doing this one considering it came out after The Emperor's New Groove and I've past the movies after that but while I was look through my comments one person asked me if I would do this and Treasure Planet. So here we go. One of the reasons I didn't review this until now is because I never saw it and I really wanted to so just earlier today I found it, I watched it and yeah I did enjoy it... but. O.K let's just go to the movie itself before I get side-tracked. This was Disney attempt to do a kind of adult movie with lots of explosions and people die in a kind of horror way, and boy did it backfire. Not only did this movie do incredibly poorly at the box-office but a lot of critics gave it bad reviews. Were they right? Well I wouldn't go that far as to what they said. I mean like I just said I did like. What's the story? In a museum in 1912 there's a janitor named "Milo." He meets a person who used to be a friend of his parents. He gives Milo a journal that his grandfather left for him called the "Shepard's Journal" that could possibly be a map to the lost city of Atlantis. The same man has actually been spending years and years putting together a team of explorers and equipment and stuff like that to go down and find the city. Along the way they come across obstacles, trouble, monsters and all that stuff trying to stop them until they do manage to find the city and the lost people. They meet with the emperor and his daughter named "Kida" and she and Milo try to explore for a mystical crystal that's keeping the Atlantians all alive, that is until a villain is discovered. So what's good about this movie? First off the animation is very different from any other kind of Disney animation. A lot of that comes from the designs, especially the character designs. The characters are not bad I guess. Milo is this regular geeky character and there's nothing really different about him. The side-characters are actually very funny and they do get a lot of really good lines. The villain is the captain named "Rourke." And his motivation is just like Clayton's, greed. That's right, he's just a idiot who just wants money. Every time I see a villain like this I just get tired of them. But to the film's credit, every scene with him before we find out he's the villain, he does almost seem likable. The voice actor for him is just perfect. To be perfectly honest, I would say that the only problem I have with this movie is probably some scenes that drag on for too long and some things are a little boring. But aside from that I had a lot of fun watching this movie. If you want to see it fine, but if you would listen to what the critics said and that it was a bad movie. But for me I would say it is a good movie.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the Atlantis review! You did a good job giving it a positive review, and think it is a good movie despite what the critics and audiences said and it's bad reputation it usually gets. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete