Tuesday 27 October 2015

X-Men

So now I'm doing reviews for the X-Men movies. I said I would so here they are. I was never into X-Men until this year when I started watching the movies with my brother and sister and I really like almost all of them. My favourite X-Men movie is Days of Future Past and my least favourite is still Origins. What's the story? It opens with Erik Lehnsherr as a young boy in World War 2. As his mother is taken away, he reaches out to her and bends a metal gate with his mutant power of controlling metal. We then cut to years later where a girl named Rogue kisses a boy and he ends up in a coma. We then go to a meeting where a woman named Jean Grey, played by Famke Janssen, is saying mutants aren't a threat but a man named Senator Kelly is saying mutants are dangerous and all need to be killed. After the meeting, Charles Xavier played by Patrick Stuart, talks to Erik/Magneto played by Ian McKellen about how he's searching for hope but Magneto says all humans should die and mutants should rule the planet. Later Rogue is taken to a pub where she meets Logan/Wolverine played by Hugh Jackman. Later Logan leaves and Rogue stows away on his truck. They talk but then a mutant called Sabretooth attacks them but they're both saved by 2 more mutants named Storm, played by Halle Berry and Cyclops, played by James Marsden. Sabretooth tells Magneto that Rogue is with the X-Men. Later Logan and Rogue are taking to the X-Men mansion. Logan wakes-up and wanders the mansion and then walks into Charles' office. Storm, Cyclops and Jean enter the room. Charles explains what mutants are, what the mansion is, it's a school for young mutants and Rogue begins to attend and forms a relationship with one of the students, Bobby, who can create ice. Charles also tells him about Magneto. Apparently Magneto thought humanity would never accept mutants so he grew angry and vengeful. He also tells him that he has the power to control people's minds. They make a deal. Logan stays in the mansion for 2 days so Charles can find out what Magneto wants with him and in return Charles will help him piece together the memories he's apparently lost for 15 years on how he got his Adamantium claws and skeleton. Senator Kelly is then kidnapped by 2 more of Magneto's mutant servants named Mystique played by Rebecca Romijn and Toad played by Ray Park. That night Jean reads Logan's mind and some of his memories begin to come back. While he's sleeping his memories keep coming and going and he makes noise and shaking. Rogue comes into his room and he wakes-up and accidently stabs her in the chest with his claws but then she touches him and she begins to heal with his ability of regeneration. He gets knocked unconscious and when he wakes-up Charles explains that Rogue has the ability to absorb people's life energy but if she touches a mutant she can use their powers for a short while. And the rest, I won't spoil for you. So first I'm going to say the 1 nitpick I have with the film. It's that I wish there were more fight scenes. But it was made way back in 2000 so I do understand. But aside from that this is a really good movie. My sister thinks it's a little underrated and should be appreciated more. And yeah I kinda agree I guess. What I like is the cast. Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart are the best in my opinion as I've said before in my top 5 superhero portrayals. Another thing I like is Bryan Singer's direction. It's really good. Ian McKellen is also great as Magneto. He's really sympathetic at the beginning with the opening of him as a young boy. I also like James Marsden as Cyclops. He might be one of my favourite X-Men. It's also really funny. The funniest scene being when Logan says something to Cyclops at the end. Watch and you'll know what I'm talking about. The best fight scene is the final one with Logan, Storm, Cyclops and Jean against Toad, Sabretooth, Mystique and Magneto. Watch.
So yeah, the first X-Men isn't my favourite but I still like it. If you have a chance, watch it yourself, it's really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment