Friday 22 May 2020

Dragon Ball Super (Anime Review)

So, about three years ago, I did a bit of a series on this blog where I did anime reviews. The ones I did then were Naruto, Naruto Shippuden, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note and so on. But, now that I've been watching more anime in recent years since then, I decided to do more of these. I know I've talked about these anime before, but I want to do proper reviews this time and just do what I did before. The ones I want to do this time are gonna be Dragon Ball Super, Yu Yu Hakusho, My Hero Academia and some others. And so, starting us off with that is the continuation of Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball Super. I started collecting the DVDs for the series about two years ago but I only recently started watching it because the last DVD came out here two months ago and I had a lot of other anime to watch as well. But as time went by, I also wanted to wait until I had all the DVDs to watch the whole thing from beginning to end and I finally finished it just last night. I mean, I had already seen the series in pieces on YouTube and I already knew how the series went and how it ended, but this was how I was able to watch the whole series from the start all the way to the end. And as a person who prefers to watch anime on DVD and binge a series, I think that helped with the experience a little bit. And so, as a person who's not the biggest fan of the series, but still loves a lot about it, I was sorta thinking a lot as I was watching it. In fact, a lot of my thoughts on the series are pretty similar to a lot of other peoples. And given the reputation it's gotten since it began, it's kinda interesting to think about how this show evolved. And this means I already knew how it opens up. The first 27 episodes are just redos of the Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F movies, which I do understand why they'd want to do that with them being integral to the plot with introducing Beerus, Whis and reintroducing Frieza into the series for the last part of the show, but it felt really unnecessary to do that, especially since the arcs themselves are way too long. The fight with Goku and Beerus, I feel, goes on for too long and the two arcs just go on for too long. Plus, do I even need to mention the main problem with those episodes? It's something so many people have talked about for a long time and people still haven't stopped talking about it. The animation. For some reason, the production schedule for the series was rushed which resulted in the infamous bad animation of those first few episodes. Especially Goku's fight against Beerus on King Kai's planet.
How good is the animation for Dragon Ball Super? - Quora
Even with the improvements of it for the DVDs, it still looked bad. And the whole thing just kinda annoyed me and bored me because I had seen the movies already and so this just felt like a waste of time to watch a version that was longer. Another problem is something that's a bit more subjective, but I'm not exactly a fan of Akira Toriyama's kind of humour. I like bits of his humour, but I'm not the biggest fan of his kinda comedy. So when they tried to have a lot of jokes in those first few episodes with Mr. Satan, who's honestly a character I've come to really not like, it just came across as more annoying than funny to me. Again, that's not to say I don't like any of his comedy, I do like parts of it, just not all of it. And so, yeah, I hadn't lost interest in the show yet at that point yet though because I knew the series got better as it went along. And, even if those first few episodes bored me and didn't interest me in the slightest, it still had a lot of the great characters I still love. And waiting for those arcs to finish pays off when we move onto Champa's tournament, which is where the series improves in both story and animation because we never had any of those problems again afterwards. Introducing the whole god concept in the Battle Of Gods movie already opened up the door to a lot of great ideas and this show takes full advantage of all of them considering we get a great story line with Champa's tournament and I like his dynamic with Beerus. I already really like the characters of Beerus and Whis, so having them being main characters in the series made it all the better. And the tournament between Universe 6 and 7 was also a great idea for many reasons. For one, it's a great concept with it making the universe of Dragon Ball bigger. And they introduce more awesome characters like Champa himself alongside Hit, Cabba and Frost. And so, having those characters meet with the action scenes they were imagining made it even better. Especially since a lot of them were really creative like Goku's fight against Hit with Hit's time skipping ability. And I really liked the end of it when they introduce Zeno.
Zeno | Dragon Ball Wiki | Fandom
I really love the character of Zeno. The idea for him is already cool, but the fact that he's the leader of everything and having Beerus and Champa terrified of him is hilarious. And Zeno himself is hilarious with being this almighty character but still having the mind and attitude of a little child. And I love Goku's interactions with him. It makes sense that Goku would be the one to actually befriend him with his own fun attitude. And I also enjoyed Vegeta's relationship with Cabba. Seeing as they're both Saiyans, it makes sense that Vegeta would be involved with him in some way. But I think the show really improves with the Zamasu and Goku Black story. I really enjoyed this arc. For one, it's cool they brought back Future Trunks and I really love the way this arc was put together. Myself personally, I never liked younger Trunks because I found him annoying, so having them bring back the more likeable version from the future was great. And I liked how the story was set up and the ideas it brings up as it keeps going. For one, the idea of an evil Goku-like character is cool with how Zamasu took Goku's body and I love the Goku and Vegeta fights against Goku Black and Zamasu. I'd say my favourite between them was either when Goku Black told Goku about how he took his body and killed Chi-Chi and Goten which makes Goku go nuts and attack the two of them or the one at the end with Goku and Vegeta becoming Vegito again and fighting Fused Zamasu.
Who would win, mutated merged Zamasu (Dragon Ball Super) or Vegito ...
And speaking of which, the ending is pretty awesome but then takes a disappointing turn. On the one hand, I liked how Trunks was the one to fight Zamasu at the end with how it felt really satisfying and how he used the power of everyone to make a huge energy sword. But then, and this is something I really disliked, it should have ended there. As soon as Trunks killed Zamasu with the sword, it should have ended there because then Zamasu appears as faces in the sky and kills almost everyone there which causes Goku to ask Zeno to help by erasing him. Especially given how Trunks wasn't all that important in Dragon Ball Z. He was first introduced and then he was kinda sidelined, so if they ended it there, it would have been perfect and Trunks would have had more relevance. I know in a lot of anime there's obviously gonna be filler. I actually skipped all the filler because I didn't want to waste my time with it. I knew what episodes were filler though like when Goten and Trunks stowed away on Jaco's ship and ended up on a planet where Vegeta was gonna disappear while some purple Vegeta fought Goku or the baseball episode with Beerus and Champa competing against each other. But the most infamous of them was with the Dr. Slump appeared again. But a more personal one I don't like are any episode revolving around Gohan being the Great Saiyaman. I've never liked that and every time Gohan does it, it always annoys me and makes his character more and more pathetic. Gohan himself is a character I haven't liked at all since the Cell Games Saga. Every appearance of him since then has just annoyed me. And, speaking of filler, a lot of them had moments where it made all the other characters seem either annoying or kinda unlikable like the whole thing with Bulma trying to get a wish from Shenron or Goku annoying Bulma trying to get Whis to train him. I'm not sure what everyone else's thoughts on these episodes, but me personally, they mostly annoyed me. And I mean the ones I saw in clips on YouTube and I didn't actually bother with watching them on the DVDs themselves. But then, the show really hits its peak with the Tournament Of Power, which is easily the most amazing part of the series and one of the best things to come from the Dragon Ball franchise. Firstly, I love how they brought back so many characters to compete for Universe 7 and they were all awesome choices. I love how they brought Tien and Roshi back because I already love those characters but then having Krillin in it along with Android 17 and 18 was even cooler, and I liked them a lot more here than in Z, especially 17, who had a lot of great moments. But even bringing Roshi was awesome since he also got a lot of cool moments and it was just really satisfying when he was fighting in the Tournament and made him relevant again after a long time. But then it was made even better with them including Frieza into the team as well. I've come to love Frieza a lot more as a villain and character recently and so, having him in the series again and fighting along Goku and the others was incredible. Seeing him as something of a good guy was great. Obviously, he wasn't, but I'm sure you all know what I mean if you've seen it. They were originally gonna have Buu on the team, but I'm glad they didn't because I much prefer the idea of Frieza instead of him. And the actual action scenes in the tournament were all amazing and having both Zeno's as observers made it really funny as well. And I like a lot of the new characters they introduced. Top was cool with him having the power of a Destroyer God and I really loved how he and Vegeta had that great fight. This was also the first time I liked Gohan again since the Cell Games as I was just saying and his team up with Piccolo was awesome. I love those two characters together and it was great to see them together throughout the whole tournament when they were there. I'm not entirely sure what everyone else's thoughts on Kale and Caulifla, but I thought they were pretty cool. Sure, Caulifla was kinda annoying with how arrogant she was acting, but her dynamic with Kale was kinda sweet and nice. And then, Jiren himself, I feel like I liked Jiren as a character more than some people with some people not liking him and thinking he was a terrible character or just a really boring character. But I quite liked him. He was really awesome and I loved Patrick Seitz's performance as him. All the stuff with him I really loved. And then as it got closer to the end, it just kept getting better and better with Goku unlocking Ultra Instinct. And all the stuff with Ultra Instinct, I don't know what words will do it justice. Given how popular it is, you all know how amazing it is. Everything with it from it's design and its theme just make it insanely awesome every time it's activated. And it's made even better when Goku finally masters it and just unleashes all of it on Jiren.
Who would win, Ultra Instinct Goku or Whis (full power)? - Quora
And all the other character's fights are great to watch too, especially since a lot of them had to use their heads to beat the other universes. Then, the final climax fight between Goku, Frieza and Andriod 17 against Jiren is probably my favourite Dragon Ball fight to date alongside Gogeta vs. Broly in the Dragon Ball Super Broly movie. And the actual ending with all of them going home and all the universes restored makes everything feel really satisfying. Also, back to the voices quickly, the Dragon Ball franchise continues to have awesome voice work. I'm never not gonna love Sean Schemmel as Goku, and all the rest are still amazing, especially Christopher Sabat as Vegeta and Piccolo and David Ayres as Frieza. So, all in all, the series definitely didn't have a great start and that beginning sorta meandered and was sort of a drag, but once we get through with that, the rest of show improves mostly. The later episodes have their problems but they're at least an improvement over the first 27 episodes. And, in terms of the episodes that are canon, I think this is great anime to binge watch, especially now with the Coronavirus going around and the quarantine, this is a good time to binge the show if you're a fan of the series. Binge watching  the show is what I did and it certainly made a lot of it more enjoyable. And skipping the filler episodes helped with that too. It's honestly kinda hard for me to judge which series I like more with this and Z because, like I said, I'm not the biggest Dragon Ball fan but I still love a lot about it and there was a lot in both Z and Super I love more than the other and it was fun to watch a lot of this as well and thinking about that. So, yeah, the show's not perfect, but it gives a lot that would make a Dragon Ball fun really happy. And so, everyone, those are my thoughts on Dragon Ball Super. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment