Friday 1 May 2020

The Mandalorian: Season 1

All right, so, I know this is super late for this review, but, where I am, the final episode for this show just dropped today and I was finally able to finish this show. Just wanted that to be the first thing I said before I said anything else here. So, the Mandalorian is a Disney+ original show that started last year and finished last year but, where I am, Disney+ and this show's final episode arrived much later. This show is a new Disney created Star Wars property created by Jon Favreau. If you saw my review for The Rise Of Skywalker a few months ago, you know that I really didn't like that movie and thought Disney ended the sequel trilogy of Star Wars really poorly. But this show interested me. For one thing, it's something Star Wars related on Disney+, so that already got me excited, but the main thing that interested me was people's thoughts on it and saying it was really good. So, I had a lot of anticipation for this. And, in the end, I loved the show, I loved almost everything with it and it was so good. Also, since the series has been out for a while, I'm going full spoilers for the whole first season. The show is about a wandering bounty hunter called the Mandalorian, played by Pedro Pascal, who's a guy who doesn't say much, but is one of the best around. That is until he's given one specific job to find something and bring it back to these imperials. This something ends up being something that everyone who's seen the show is calling "Baby Yoda"...
See the source image
And Baby Yoda is a character who saves him at one point, so after this, he begins to rethink whether or not he should hand it over. He's also a person who's very committed to the creed of the Mandalorians. Always have a helmet on and never disgrace a job. But now that he's helping to repay Baby Yoda, it's still okay. So, the rest of the show is him on the run from the imperials as well as going from job to job while still trying to care for and protect Baby Yoda. And a lot of the greatness of this show is carried by Pedro Pascal. I've never seen him in anything else before, but he's awesome. Like I said, we never see his face until the very, very end in the last episode, so a lot of the show is him going from place to place and even encountering different people that he helps out either because he needs the work or he'll just help out wherever he can. And the fact that a lot of the show is centred on him not talking much, he's required to do a lot of body language, which he nails. The show is also just really well made. Almost all the directors did an amazing job and it's really well shot with some really gorgeous scenery. It's also got some really funny moments and it almost felt like they were making fun of a lot of people's complaint about the series of Star Wars and acknowledged them like how clone and storm troopers are terrible shots, which was great, especially in the last episode. And, like I said, the directors chosen for the series were almost all perfect. Some of them were even directors I've heard about before but never seen like Deborah Chow and Rick Famuyiwa. Both did great jobs with directing their episodes and the rest were all great too. I will say though, the one episode I didn't really like all that much was episode 5. To me, that episode was kinda boring, the dialogue and acting was kinda weak and it was mostly a drag for me. But the show really picked up after that. But I still loved all the episodes before it too. And the show had some interesting ideas to explore Mando's past like showing him as a child every so often running away with his parents who were killed by droids. And they have him encounter some old people he used to know, especially in episode 6. The action is also really well handled with being really creative and kinda brutal. I'd say it was at its best in episode 1 and the final episode. Something else that, I don't know what others think about but is cool to me, is the fact that Jon Favreau did create this, so someone who's worked in the M.C.U is now working in Star Wars all under Disney. Favreau himself is already an amazing filmmaker and so, having him in control of all this was a genius move and he's really knocked it out of the park with this. I also really liked Gina Carano, Nick Nolte and Carl Weathers as Cara Dune, Kuiil and Greff Karga. All three of them, especially Cara, were super likeable and really cool. And I loved Baby Yoda too. As you'd imagine, he was super adorable and really funny but also really heartfelt. Taika Waititi directed the last episode which might have been my favourite. A lot of really great moments are in this episode alone with some really awesome action. Especially one scene involving the IG-11 droid on a speeder just going around and blasting troopers. That was really awesome and then we actually got to see the Mandalorian's face after he got injured and when the droid tried to help him. Again, I haven't seen Pedro Pascal at all in anything before this, so, personally, that was really cool. I even stayed away from all photos of him to not be ruined. And the action scene afterwards with that one other Mandalorian fighting those other troopers was really cool and brutal. I really loved the part where she throws that one trooper into that furnace. Taika Waititi himself actually voiced the IG droid and seeing him sacrifice himself by going into the lava and blowing up those troopers was also really crushing to me. And, at the end, we see that Moth Gideon, the villain of the last episode, actually has a Darksaber from the Clone Wars series.
See the source image
And all those came together to make a really great finale and a really great show. We even got a setup at the end where The Mandalorian is gonna try to find out where Baby Yoda is from and try to return it there. So, at the end here, The Mandalorian: Season 1 was really, really good. Disney may have made a mishap when it came to making the sequel trilogy not end on a high note, but they definitely made up for it with this and I really, really can't wait for more. The fact that they're making a sequel season to this is one thing, but they're gonna be more Disney+ shows like Kenobi. I'm sure once the Coronavirus is gone, they'll get back to making those, but, at the moment, this show is fantastic and I can't wait for more. And so, everyone, that's my review of Season 1 of the Mandalorian. I hope all of you have seen it, and, if not, you really should. And so, everyone, thank you all for reading, I hope you all liked it and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment