Saturday 4 February 2023

Puss In Boots: The Last Wish

So guys, yesterday, I was finally able to see the newest DreamWorks movie, Puss In Boots: The Last Wish. I haven't spoken about DreamWorks for a long time because I don't really see their films these days since they don't seem to interest me, but, I really wanted to see this one because everyone was praising this humongously. People were treating it like it was the new Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse or Frozen in terms of the amount of praise it was recieving. But, for a while, I couldn't see it because it wasn't released here until yesterday despite it being released in America back in December. But I couldn't believe how much praise it was getting because, like a lot of other people, I didn't think much about this film, it just seemed like pointless cash grab that also just seemed like it was trying to copy other animated movie styles because the animation looked completely different from the first movie with it looking like Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse animation and, even though I really like the first Puss In Boots movie and think it's one of the most fun DreamWorks movies, it just seemed really pointless. But then, I started hearing so much about the film and praise it was getting was kinda astronomical. So, I saw it yesterday when it was released and, in the end, I don't know if I can say I loved it the same way everyone else did, but I did end up thinking this was a really, really good film. I had a really great time watching this. Also, since this has been out for a while, I'm going full spoilers from the beginning, so, if you haven't seen it yet, go watch it first then read the rest of this. So, what's the story? Puss is back to being his usual antics with being super arrogant and loving all the fame he's getting, but, after he dies again, he realises he's down to his last life and he then hears about this star that can grant anyone any wish they want, so, he goes to try to find it with the help of Kitty who returns from the first movie and a small dog named Perrito while trying to avoid a whole bunch of villains like Goldilocks and the three bears and Jack Horner who're all trying to get the wish themselves as well as litteral Death himself who, in this version, is a huge white wolf who shows up every once in a while and is after Puss since he's down to his last life. So, the first thing that's an instant positive is the animation because, even though DreamWorks always has impressive animation, this is some of the most unique they've ever done because, like I said at the start, this feels a lot like Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse where, even though it's 3D, it looks a bit like 2D at times and the way they do it is amazing to look at. Not only that, but the directing and editing is very unique and fun to watch. I especially loved the camerawork here too because the way they move the camera in a lot of the scenes is insanely fun to watch and this helps make some really stunning shots, especially with the colours occasionally. And I love the different and unique ways the story is told because, even though the opening didn't get me hooked immediately and I think it wasn't until a bit later when I really got into it, once it did, it was incredibly entertaining. The characters were also still really likeable. Puss is still a super fun character and I think I liked Kitty in this more than I did in the last movie, and I especially really like their relationship in this, I thought it was really sweet and nicely romantic. But the villains were cool too and I like how they flipped the idea of each villain in this. I didn't even know Jack Horner was gonna be in this, but he was fun to watch and I really liked Goldilocks and her relationship with the three bears, and Death himself was a really cool villain too with the way he kept popping in in different ways and the other things about him were cool too like his whistle and the way he used his sickles for weapons and, again, with the unique ways they shoot the film, it makes everything about him even more fun to watch. But I think my favourite new character in this was Perrito, this tiny dog who's trying to be Puss's friend and, even though you can clearly tell what Puss and him will end up being at the end, it was still fun to watch and he was just a really fun character with him being super positive and friendly and kinda oblivious to any bad things happening to him and with him, Puss and Kitty together on this quest, it made the whole adventure aspect to the film really, really fun and the way they did the actual quest through the Dark Forest with the map was really fun and unique and funny with how they just used Perrito's version of the map to make it though safely. But even putting aside the things in this movie that were fun or cool, the times when they did some dramatic stuff worked really well too like when Puss is kinda reflecting on his life when he sees the other versions of himself was a nice way of having that moment for him to think about himself and realising how terrible he's been before. And even other dramatic moments were effective too like when Goldilocks remembers how she met the three bears and tries to decide what she's definitively gonna wish for. And, again, like I said, I like how they flipped some of these villains in this like how Puss, Kitty and Goldilocks team up at the end to defeat Jack Horner and manage to take him down and the scene where Death decides to leave Puss alone after he makes it clear how important his life is after deciding to be with Kitty. I haven't mentioned this much yet, but the film is also just really funny. I like how funny Perrito was especially and it was funny when anyone touched the map and we saw their versions of the Dark Forest caused by it and it was funny with how many times they indicate cursing and swearing, especially when Perrito did it. The way this film connects to the Shrek movies as well as pretty cool like how we get a quick cameo from Shrek and Donkey and then it's shown that Puss, Kitty and Perrito are going to Far, Far Away at the end. I guess this technically means these movies take place after the Shrek movies since Puss talks about how he was going to see some old friends. Some people think this means it's indicating towards another new Shrek movie but I don't think so, I personally hope there isn't any other Shrek movie because, even though I love the first two movies, they don't need to make another one. But, as for this movie alone, yeah, it was so, so, so good. Like I said at the start, I don't think I loved this the same way everyone else did, but it was still a super fun film and I had a great time with it. I would definitely recommend this if you can see this and I do mostly get that all the praise for the film is completely warrented. And so, everyone, that's my review for Puss In Boots: The Last Wish. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment