Friday 18 March 2016

Tron Legacy

I decided to do a review to the sequel to Tron, Tron Legacy. And this was actually in Kingdom Hearts as well. Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance. You all know I really, really liked and enjoyed the first Tron movie and how it's one of my favourite Live-Action Disney movies. So you must think that I think that this is another one of my favourites and I love it just as much as the last. Well... actually no. I wouldn't say I hate this movie completely, but I wouldn't really say I liked it all that much either. I didn't really like it all. I liked some things and some things and ideas were cool but in my opinion, this was kind of a disappointment. Not totally but still. What's the story? It's years later after the first movie and Flynn is the C.E.O of Encom. He also has a son named Sam who knows about Flynn's adventures with Tron. And Flynn also tells him about another program he created named CLU. He leaves and it then cuts to years later to him disappearing and Sam as a man who's sorta like a rebel who's crashing Encom. The reason being because he could never figure out what happened to his dad. The next morning, he goes to his dad's old arcade from the first movie and when he does he finds a secret room and the laser from the first movie and while tying on a screen computer, he accidently activates it and is sent into the computer world like his dad. However this time, the place is called the Grid. Sam is then captured by guards and taken to place where he's given new clothes and an Identity Disc like in the first movie. He's then sent to some arena and is forced to fight other programs. When he gets to the end he fighting a program named Rinzler. During the fight, Rinzler cuts Sam's arm slightly and makes him bleed realising he's not a program but a human. The guards take Sam to the main Rectifier and there, Sam meets CLU who actually looks exactly like the younger version of Flynn. Oh, yeah, CLU's the villain here. He orders the guards to bring Sam another section and he challenges Sam and his teammates to a motorcycle battle. As CLU is about to kill him, Flynn's apprentice named "Quora" saves him. They go to a cave where Flynn is. They all then talk and Flynn talks about CLU and Tron. It turns out Flynn, CLU and Tron created the Grid and he also discovered these life forms in the Grid called ISO's but apparently these things actually created themselves. And on top of that, CLU is angry at Flynn apparently because he promised CLU that they would both change the world together but he broke the promise. So one day, while Flynn and Tron were talking, CLU and his guards attacked them. Flynn managed to escape but Tron was said to be dead but really he was reprogrammed. Yeah, Tron is Rinzler. And now CLU is trying to find Flynn to get his disc to open a portal that will allow him to enter the real world and take it over. And the rest, I won't spoil. But to be fair... wait to the end of this to know what I mean. O.K, so let's go over the few things I liked. Well, firstly, the C.G.I looks good. It looks much cooler and clean than the first movie. But it's not "that" impressive. It is good looking. But it's not really unique because C.G.I is being used everywhere nowadays. And the cast is fine. Some do really good and the rest do fine. And I do like the scene where Tron redeems himself but that scene is wasted by having him die in the next scene. And now let's get to the problems. Firstly, the story is all over the place. Yeah, you could say the first one was too, but what made that work is that it was tied more into what the movie was trying to do and trying to say. Here though, it really doesn't work. And my biggest problem with the movie is the ending. Without spoiling anything, Flynn has to do something to destroy CLU and the way they did it felt very unsatisfying and badly written. And the rest is mostly either just filler or exposition and it can get boring. There's also a scene in a club with Sam and Quora against a bunch of guards and it supposed to be an important scene in the whole film because Flynn gets his disc stolen. But really, it's unnecessary and you really don't care. They just put it there to show you more flashy stuff. And yeah that's another thing. This whole movie almost feels like it was made just to show you some flashy lights. That's what we mostly see. So yeah. As you can tell, I really didn't think this movie was good at all. I did enjoy a couple of things, but there were too many problems with the film that kept me from liking the entire movie as a whole. I'd say I preferred the Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance version way better this. So, to finish, I'd say that there are some things to be entertained by but there's not much this movie can offer that would really hold your interest. If you want to see the movie, that's fine. But in my opinion, I'd probably skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment