Sunday 21 August 2016

22 straight to video Disney sequels ranked

So a lot of people usually complain about the Disney sequels that go straight to video or DVD. I'm not talking about the Disney Classics that are sequels because those are the ones that are considered to be good. But when it comes to the straight to video and DVD ones, yeah, a lot of people really don't like them and say they're bad. And, yeah. Unfortunately I can't argue with that fact. Sure there are a couple of decent ones but there just aren't a lot of them. And so today I'm actually going to rank 22 of them from worst to best. Yes, there are a couple more but these are the Disney sequels that continue the story from the original or are from inside the story that we didn't see. So let's get started.
22. Mulan 2: Yeah, you all knew this had to be number 22. Mulan 2 has been said by everyone to be a really atrocious movie. And, yeah. They're absolutely right. Mulan 2's main problem are the characters in this and how weirdly changed they are and how weird some things are. Especially someone like Mushu. In this Mulan is getting married but that also means that Mushu will have to lose his job and so he tries to keep it from happening. That just makes him a jerk. I mean I know he did something like that in the first movie but at lease he was still likeable and he was really funny. Easily the funniest character in the first but here he just comes off as unlikeable and not all that funny, I also don't like the idea of Mulan and Shang getting married. I know they kinda hinted at it in the first movie that they had something going on but at least they kept it the way it was supposed to be. And also the animation in this isn't very good. It's not awful but it's not really that great either. The writing also just isn't good either. Also the pretty weird. And I don't think I need to explain much left because you all know how bad this movie is and you all know what I mean when I say that this is the worst straight to video Disney animated sequel ever.
21. Atlantis: Milo's Return: As said by a lot of critics out there, the biggest problem with this movie is the fact that it's unnecessary. That's something a lot of these sequels have in common with problems. The fact that they have no reason to exist. And this is a huge example. It has to do with Milo coming back from Atlantis and helps out with a new threat and the whole film is just a big bore. Not much happens and not much interesting stuff happens.
20. Cinderella 2: Dreams Come True: One thing I will say that surprised me about this is that apparently the story in this is so small it doesn't take much on Wikipedia. This is it. In the royal palace, Cinderella's mice friends Gus and Jaq head to a chamber where the Fairy Godmother is reading the story of Cinderella to the other mice. Much to their disappointment, Gus and Jaq arrive just as she has finished the story. With her help, the mice set off to make a new book to narrate what happens after the Happily Ever After, by stringing three segments of stories together into one narrative. And even still, the movie isn't investing. One thing that Disney is always able to do is that it's story are really entertaining and it also manages to keep us invested throughout with most of their movies but here, no they really had no idea how to make this thing work. It's clear to see they didn't.
19. Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas: This is a Disney sequel you can tell that is trying to be around just because it's Christmas themed, they made it around Christmas and I really dislike those kind of movie things that are coming off of something and it's just around because it's almost Christmas in real life. And also the characters in this are not the same as the first movie. And I also find it weird how the Organ thing is the villain and his motivation is also strange. I mean the villain in this is an actual live Organ who's able to hypnotise people and so he wants Beast to play him forever. How can you say that's not weird. The only thing good about that is the animation the Organ is pretty cool, though nothing that spectacular. And Belle also seems like she's way too happy here. I know she's supposed to be a positive person but this is just too much in my opinion.
18. The Return of Jafar: This was one of the most disappointing sequels I've ever seen in my life. I remember when I was really young really wanting to see this because I thought the title sounded pretty cool and so did the trailer I remember watching. But when I saw this move, I remember having my head really confused because this was easily one of the most let down movies I've ever seen. I could not believe how much of a disappointment this movie was. One of my biggest problems is easily the animation. It doesn't look very good, if fact, in my opinion, it doesn't look that good at all. I also could believe how sloppy a lot of the ideas mad in this were. The writing here is just a mess. I was also surprised to find out that Robin Williams didn't return to voice Genie in this movie but he did return to do it in the next movie. I learned that apparently Disney said something to him that made him not return but once they apologies, he did return for the next one which we'll talk about later. So yeah, that's really it. I just found this to be a huge and anticlimactic let down in a lot of way imaginable.
17. Pocahontas 2: Journey to a New World: Why they made a sequel to this, I don't know. I mean Pocahontas was easily the lowest of the original Disney Renaissance. And while people haven't said that it's terrible and there are some good things in it, they have said that it's a bland, bland movie. And here, they either make things way too boring or just weird. I even remember first seeing the trailer for this on the video for another Disney movie but even then I knew it didn't seem like much of a good movie at all. I thought the animation was kinda off and it just didn't click with me. I hadn't seen the first movie back then and hadn't heard it's criticism but just didn't find it very interesting. And when I saw this, it was the same reaction. This was a lot more bland than the first movie, which is really saying something.
16. Brother Bear 2: Now this is a movie that is so bad and so out of place, it just feels frustrating sometimes. I understand some things in it like some of the character motivations but it's isn't all that engaging. When we see Koda being jealous of that friend of Kenai, it is really annoying and I think that has to do with the fact that I've seen this kind of thing before and I never liked it then and so having it in a movie like this. And it doesn't help that the writing is just a mess. And even if there are some good jokes every once in a while, most of them just fall flat.
15. Tarzan 2: I remember first seeing this a long time ago and when I first saw this was when I rented it and I watched one day when I was going to a hurling match with my dad and I saw this on my car DVD player. And I also remember kinda liking it but then recently I watched it again to make this list and I could believe how much of a disappointment this movie is. I mean the choices made in this movie are so clichéd and so forced and so weird, it just took me completely out of the movie every time I saw something I knew just wasn't working.
14. Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch has a Glitch: I actually first saw this movie a few years ago with my family when my parents got it for my brother as a birthday present and I remember thinking that it was fine but, yeah, again, I saw it again recently and it was a huge let down. I actually liked this sequels a lot more than this. I mean there were 2 more Lilo & Stitch sequels made after this and I enjoyed those a lot more than this. Especially Leroy & Stitch. But this, no. This movie is not good. I would say that my biggest problem in this is that I think Lilo is way, way too harsh on Stitch. She is way too mean to him. And there's even more problems and even the ending is so disappointing and so forced, it takes you out of it  completely. I can't believe how this could have gone wrong.
13. The Hunchback of Notre Dame 2: Easily the biggest problem with this movie is the fact that the writing for the story here is so, so predictable. This is probably the most predictable Disney sequel story I've ever see. I mean I've seen this kind of story all the time. There this robber who wants to be rich and he wants one thing in particular and there's this person he trusts who does like all this robbing that he wants to use to trick Quasimodo into doing it by being friends with him but that person does become friends with him in real life and they begin some kind of romance thing but then something happens to reveal the person's real purpose. I mean, if you wanted to look for a Disney sequel, or really any Disney with an easy to predict story that even not good animation, this is a great example. I also don't get how they could have made this so boring. I also can't remember much that the characters do besides that predictable story. You can even watch the trailer and figure it out that way. Apparently my brother and sister really like this but I don't see it.
12. Peter Pan 2: Return to Neverland: This was a movie I remember first seeing many years ago and even back then I sorta had a feeling that something was not right. Which is really saying something to me because if I was that young seeing this and seeing that it had flaws, that's kind of impressive to me considering I never would have cared back then about flaws in movies. But if I did back then and I still see the flaws not, that means that there is obviously something very wrong with it. I remember first seeing this and saying that this story is way too predictable and has been done before and I was not, I repeat, was not interested in what was happening because it was so done before and I was so board seeing this. I'm actually kinda surprised to see that people older than actually do like it. For some reason I find that weird. Overall, I just think that this movie is a mess and not very good.
11. The Fox and the Hound 2: The Fox and the Hound 2 is a sequel that's so bad I wish could have been lower on the list because it's that terrible but it turns out there are others I disliked even more. But this movie is so unbelievably bad, the things in it are just so surprising and you're just wondering how people could have thought of these things. And the fact that the plot is Copper trying to join a band and make music is one of the most ridiculous plots for a Disney movie ever in my opinion. And even still, in a movie like this, you would expect the animation to be semi-decent. But no, even that doesn't look very good either.
10. 101 Dalmatians: Patch's London Adventure: If you want a Disney sequel where every choice made is just some of the strangest things you'll ever see Disney do, I would point to this one. I've only seen this movie once in my life and when I did, I was just confused by it. The main story is that one Dalmatian out of the 101 Dalmatians wants to stand out from the rest and so he decides to run off in London and find something to help him stand out. And this movie just makes so many weird choices and I can't understand a lot of them.
9. Lady and the Tramp 2: Scamp's Adventure: One of the biggest problems a lot of these sequels have is that some of them rehash the plot from the movie it's coming off of. And that's something this movie does. It even goes so far as to copy that whole spaghetti scene. I know that's being copied by a lot of things around but come on. And they even manage to  do that cliché where the main character and the person he meets on his journey where they return to his home and the person is angry because she what the main character has. In this the main character is Scamp. As in Lady and Tramp's son. Though I will give the movie this, there are a couple of good things in it that keep it from being really awful. But it still isn't all worth your time like a lot of these movies.
8. Kronk's New Groove: This is said by a lot of people to be a really underrated movie. I know YouTubers online who say that it's severely underrated and that it deserves more attention and likability from other people. And, yeah... I guess I would say the same thing. I wouldn't say it was a great movie and there were flaws, but it isn't that bad. Some of the jokes land and the style seemed pretty cool and interesting. I wouldn't exactly recommend this but if you were looking for something to do while doing nothing, you can just watch this online. And yeah, that's it.
7. The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginnings: Unlike the other movies on this list, this is actually a prequel to the first Little Mermaid movie. And I actually find this movie to not be all that bad. Is it perfect? No. But I still find it to be kinda interesting and enjoyable. In this we actually meet Ariel's mom and we see what happened to her and we see some more of her past and with her sisters and for some reason, I enjoy that. And while the animation isn't all that amazing in my opinion, I think it still looks fine.
6. Cinderella 3: A Twist in Time: This is kinda the same as the Return of Jafar to me because when I was younger I thought that the title sounded pretty cool too. And unlike that movie, this movie is actually pretty cool. It has the Stepmother stealing the Fairy Godmother's and reversing time to the point where Cinderella and Prince Charming met and got married and she has it where one of her daughters is actually married to Prince Charming and Cinderella is even more miserable. And for some reason, I think that that's a cool plot. I think it makes Lady Tremaine an even more awesome villain and I think the end of this is really rewarding and satisfying. One of the Stepdaughters actually turns good and begins to be nice to Cinderella for a change and helps to defeat Lady Tremaine and the other stepsister. That is such a good feeling when it happens and overall I think that this is a flawed but still cool movie.
5.  Aladdin and the King of Thieves: Aladdin and the King of Thieves is a movie I remember hearing a lot of people talking a lot of. Especially people on YouTube as well as my own brother and sister. They said they really liked it and even Watchmojo put it as an honourable mention in their top 10 animated sequels. And I saw this a couple of years ago and while I personally don't think it's that good, it is still enjoyable. What really surprised me in this is was actually the way this story is told because we get to meet Aladdin's dad and we go into a little bit of history with both of them and I thought that was pretty interesting. I also think the ending is pretty cool and sad because his dad leaves again just as Aladdin and Jasmine get married and even Iago goes with him. I found that sad and pretty rewarding in a way as well because of what we see occur. And yeah, in case you don't know, in the second movie, Iago turns good and helps to defeat Jafar. And I will also talk about the animation here. I actually think that it's fine though not all that good to me. And it was great to see all these characters back again. Especially Robin Williams as Genie. This guy always owns every scene of Genie that he is in as.
4. The Jungle Book 2: Now this is a bit of a controversial one I think. When I say that I mean the fact that I really like this movie but a lot of people don't and I understand that. I guess I mainly like it because I grew up on it. I remember always renting it when I was maybe 4 or 5. And I really remember loving it back then and even to today I'm still entertained by it and I think that it does have some really good looking animation and I also like how they got a great cast for these characters like Hayley Joel Osment, A.K.A Sora, for Mowgli, John Goodman, A.K.A Sully, for Baloo, Tony Jay, A.K.A Frollo, for Shere Khan and Jim Cummings for Kaa. That's a really good cast and more. And also the animation, I think is really, really good. Is it the best Disney animation ever? No. And is this movie flawless? No, there are some noticeable flaws, but I still find enjoyment out of it.
3. The Little Mermaid 2: Return to the Sea: It's weird that a lot of these sequels mainly focus on the children of the main character from the last movie and this is a big example of it. I mean I already told you all about the last movie's main characters being the children of the previous movie's central character and here we meet Ariel's daughter Melody and I personally enjoy this movie a lot and even if other's don't. I don't know if people don't, even though my guess is that they don't, but I do like it. I also think that the villain, Morgana, is pretty cool even though she is a little too much like Ursula in the first movie. And I like most of the songs and I really like the ending with them all together and the song used there is pretty catchy. And I still like it even despite it's other very noticeable flaws and I think it's one of the best ones we've gotten.
2. Bambi 2: This is more of a middle story for the first Bambi movie because we all know what happens. It's about a deer who grows up and we see his life and there's a scene when we cuts to years later and he's now an adult and this movies shows what happened in that time of him growing up. And there's this scene that I find to be really violent when Bambi is up on this cliff and he's being chased by this dog thing and he turns on him and just head-butts him off the cliff to it's death. But even if it does have that, it doesn't change that this movie is just another kinda messy and flawed story that not even it's cool animation couldn't save parts of it. There are good things in it. It is pretty entertaining and I like the characters, the animation is really good and I especially liked the ending.
I also like Bambi himself a lot more than in the first movie. In the first movie I did like him but here I like him more because he talks more and he does more stuff that I like and I like the voice actor they got for him. I'm not saying this movie is great but I think it's good with some messy and flawed things in it. It's kinda hard to explain but I still like it.
1. The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride: Yeah. In case you can't tell, I've been going nuts over the Lion King recently. I mean I've always been in love with the movie but I don't think I've loved it this much ever before. I mean I went to see the show in London for my birthday, I've been talking nonstop about the Lion Guard show recently and how much I love that show, I've been researching a lot more about the making of the movie, which is really saying something considering I know a lot about Disney and I'm always telling my family about it when they ask about it and I just can't not dislike the original. And so for the fact that it has the best straight to video Disney sequel is really impressive I think. I really like the story, animation, characters and what happens in the movie. Sure it's not as good as the first but I still find it a really, really good sequel and I think it has a pretty good villain with Zera. I also really like Kiara and Kovu in this, even though I prefer the Lion Guard version of Kiara more and I like how this ties into the first movie. I rewatched this recently a few times and I loved it a lot more than I ever have before. Like every other thing related to this Lion King franchise, the songs here are really good and I like listening to them. Here's a few.

In fact I even made up my own kind of idea on how I think the Lion Guard could fit into this. Here it is, though, big spoilers if you haven't seen this yet. So some time after the first time Kiara and Kovu meet as kids, that's when Kion is born, actually I even found this picture of Kion being born on the internet. Look.
Anyway, so yeah, years pass and Kion becomes the leader of the Lion Guard and helps to protect the Pride Lands. But one day years later, something happens and the Hyenas runs off to mess with something elsewhere and so Kion and the Guard leave after them to take care of things and stop the Hyenas and that's why we don't see him years later when they're all adults. And that would kinda explain that scene in the 2nd movie when Nuka says "It's creepy here ever since the Hyenas ran off." It would explain where they went. And, and I know this won't happen, but just something I think should happen, maybe when they grow up, maybe have Kion and Fuli get together. I know that that is very unlikely but I think it'd be the right thing to see. Yeah, not very long, that's just a small thing I made up a few days ago. And overall I just really like this movie and I think that it is indeed the best straight to video Disney sequel out there. And everyone, that's my ranking of 22 straight to video Disney sequels. Thank you all for reading and please comment telling me how'd you rank them.

No comments:

Post a Comment