Sunday 28 August 2016

My top 10 comic book side character portrayals

So in this entry, I'm counting down my top 10 side character portrayals in comic book movies. Note, I don't mean side kicks. I mean the side characters, as in the supporting characters and the ones who are there to either support or hate the main hero. Also, expect a lot of Spider-Man characters here. So, let's begin.
10. Gwyneth Paltrow/Pepper Potts: Staring us off is the performance from Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts. In the first Iron Man movie, she's simply the worrywart who has a lot of likeability and in the first Avengers she's there for a few minutes but she's really great and funny in it. The only reason she wasn't higher on the list is because I feel that she was kinda annoying in the 2nd and 3rd Iron Man but in those other 2 movies I mentioned, she's really great in them and it's sad to see that her contract was expired so we won't be seeing her again.
9. Amy Adams/Lois Lane: It was kinda hard to decide which Lois Lane I should put here. Either the one from the original Superman movies or the one from the new DC.E.U. I decided to go with Amy Adams' one for the reason of I feel like we have more things to see that makes us like her a little more. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know that in Batman V Superman, she didn't much going for her at the end when so much  was happening with like the fact that she had the spear then she got rid of it then she had to get it again and then she get trapped and she's a damsel in distress and she goes back and forth between being a character that does and yet still doesn't deserve to be in the movie because she's simply Lois Lane. But even with that I still like the character and I really like the performance by Amy Adams and I think they might do a better job with her in the future like with next year's Justice League.
8. Gary Oldman/ Commissioner Gordon: While Pat Hingle has a good Commissioner Gordon and we still have J.K Simmons to look forward to with next year's Justice League, I would say that Gary Oldman's portrayal is the best we've seen so far. Oldman not only managed to capture the care he has for his family but he also nailed the side that's supposed to trust Batman in situations. And I think he pulled it off really well.
7.Elden Henson/Foggy Nelson: In my opinion Elden Henson is the best supporting actor of the Daredevil show. Which I think is really saying something considering the actors they have playing all these characters like Karen, Stick, Ben, Elektra and Clair. And no, I'm not counting the Punisher because he's technically an anti-hero in the show. But in my opinion, Foggy is by far the most fun side-character we've seen so far. I actually really like how he found out that Matt was Daredevil near the end of Season 1. And it was kinda sad to see him and Matt fight and go off at the end of Season 2. But hopefully Season 3 will put them back together and I think a lot of his likability has a lot to do with the performance by Elden Henson.
6. Russell Crow/Jor-El: I feel like Russell Crow doesn't get enough credit for how well he did as a really big Superman character. Again Jor-El isn't the most important character but he is the reason Superman is what he is. I mean he helps Clark with his powers and get the suit and he totally sells it as his own. Again, I wish he had more to do in the movies but I still really enjoyed him in Man of Steel. Just a great performance from a really great actor.
5. Michael Peña/Luis: The reason I didn't put Michael Douglas on this is because I already put him on my first top 15 portrayals list. Anyway, Michael Peña nailed Luis in the first Ant-Man movie and he was easily the funniest character in it. We all know the funniest parts were when he was doing the whole mouth over scenes. You all know what I mean don't you? And he was also great with working off of the other actors like Paul Rudd. And I especially can't wait to see him return for Ant-Man & Wasp.
4. Emma Stone/Gwen Stacy: While Kirsten Dunst wasn't bad as M.J and she did give a good performance, she wasn't all that good because of the writing for her. But Emma Stone on the other hand is great Gwen Stacy. She's interesting, she had a lot of things going for her and the performance by Emma Stone is terrific. And that's how I think they should do these love interests. Have them be in danger but also have them be able to do something and make them interesting, and that's what this Gwen is. And it was also sad to see that this Gwen is gone now too. Also, apparently it's been confirmed that Zendaya will actually be playing M.J in Spider-Man: Homecoming. And I hope they make her interesting like they did with this Gwen Stacy.
3. Rosemary Harris/Aunt May: Coming in at number 3 is Rosemary Harris as Aunt May. While Sally Field did a great job in the Amazing Spider-Man movies and Marisa Tomei also did a great job in Civil War and I'm looking forward to more of her in next year's Homecoming, I think Rosemary Harris's portrayal of the character is the best we've seen so far. She not only got the look down but also the personality and mannerisms of the character while still being very likeable. And I think she did that speech in Spider-Man 2 really well. The one she gives to Peter about how everyone has a hero inside. And she plainly just does this character amazingly.
2. Cliff Robertson/Uncle Ben: It's like I said, I was going to put a lot of Spider-Man characters on this and continuing with that is Cliff Robertson as Uncle Ben. Him along with Rosemary Harris were fantastic as Peter's aunt and uncle from the original Spider-Man trilogy. They were exactly like they were from the comics and I will say they did that "With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility" scene in the car perfectly. He perfectly nails this character even if he didn't have a lot to do. I mean he was mainly just I the first movie for a few minutes the we see him again in that vision thing in Spider-Man 2. And in everything he's in, he's terrific. And he's already a great actor and this is another fantastic performance from him.
And my number 1 favourite comic book side character portrayal is... J.K Simmons/J. Jonah Jameson: This casting choice is probably on the top 10 or even maybe 5 casting choices of all time. I mean, J.K Simmons had the look and attitude of J. Jonah Jameson down so perfectly, he looked like he jumped straight out the comics. This guy owned practically every second of film that he was in. And he absolutely nailed the part of him that's kinda crazy and also the kind that's supposed to absolutely hate Spider-Man. And so everyone, those are my top 10 comic book side character portrayals. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you're favourite is.

No comments:

Post a Comment