Monday 1 August 2016

32 DreamWorks movies ranked

Yeah. I'm actually doing this. I am going to rank all 32 current DreamWorks movies. I think the reason I'm doing this is because I haven't talked about DreamWorks in a long time. And also this is going to be a long entry because there's so many movies to talk about. When you're done, please comment and tell me how you'd rank them. I hope you all like this. So, let's get started.
32. Shark Tale: Starting the list with number 32 is Shark Tale. For pretty obvious reasons. It has nonstop annoying puns and catch phrases, the characters aren't really likeable, with some exceptions, it's not really well animated, some the designs are just hideous, it has a liar revealed thing, which you all know I hate, the main premise is really creative and the jokes mainly aren't funny. It also has probably DreamWorks's worst and most hateable main character with Oscar. And while the cast isn't terrible, they don't really do anything that's super impressive or new. And overall this is a definite skip if you're ever wondering to check it out and it's easily DreamWorks's worst movie so far.
31. Shrek the Third: How this movie went wrong, I have no idea. I mean this is sequel to Shrek 2 and somehow it turned out super badly. I mean the dialog is clunky, the characters are kinda awkward, the pacing is beyond inconsistent and there's only about maybe 1 or 2 jokes are funny. And the characters weren't at all like they were in the last 2 movies. While Arthur and Merlin were the funniest in the movie, they were really wasted. Especially Merlin. And overall this whole movie just missed the mark entirely of what made Shrek great and began to descend it into darkness.
30. Megamind: Every once in a while you see a great and fantastic original superhero movie that's not based on anything. And there are great one like the Incredibles and other but in my opinion, this isn't one of them. In my opinion, this is the most overrated DreamWorks movie ever. I thought it was boring, really uninteresting and the ending was really disappointing. Most of this movie is filled with dialog and I found it boring. And of course there's the ending. To make the whole story in a nutshell, Megamind is a supervillain who tries to kill a hero. He does at one point but doesn't know what to do now. He tries to befriend a woman who was friends with the hero but she doesn't want to have anything to do with him. But of course they do eventually and she's basically a damsel in distress and Megamind has to save her. How disappointing is that? All the movie led up to that. I would say that this movie isn't awful but I don't find much enjoyment out of it.
29. Home: Last year's Home is one of the weirdest DreamWorks movies I've ever seen. And I'm not just talking about the movie, although that is weird too, I'm mostly just talking about the marketing. They kept releasing a poster and at first they said that it was going to be released in 2014 then it got pushed to last year. And the movie itself is a huge disappointment. I would say the premise isn't that bad but something about the characters and the acting is kinda off. Especially with Jim Parsons overacting and Rihanna underacting. And it's just not worth your time.
28. Shrek Forever After: The last instalment of the Shrek quadrilogy may have been better than the last one but that doesn't mean it's a good movie. It's basically DreamWorks's version of It's a Wonderful Life with Shrek wishing for a chance to be a real ogre again and but he accidently signs something to wish he was never born. Again, just like It' a Wonderful Life. Do you get what I'm saying? And remember what I said before about the last Shrek film with the characters not being the way they're supposed to be? This movie's Shrek is beyond out of character and way too mean. Especially at the beginning where he yells at Fiona. Thankfully there are some funny scenes in it and there is a fun villain. But the movie itself isn't fun that much.
27. Turbo: Considering this movie has a really great cast, especially Ryan Reynolds A.K.A Deadpool, how can you go wrong with that? Well, they kinda do. It follows the same kinda formula as other movies I've seen before. Some creature wants to stick out from the others and wants attention and so something happens to him that helps him with that. I wish they had something new that would make it unique but instead we're just stuck with this and while not terrible, it still isn't very good to me.
26. Mr. Peabody & Sherman: Some of the elements they throw in here is actually kinda cool. This is actually based off of something and I remember when my brother, sister and I first saw the first trailer for this, we were really excited and we were laughing at it. And when I saw, I didn't like some things but the rest wasn't that bad. It has some cool scenes and acting and animation. There are some problems like all the characters aren't very likeable and I wish they had a bit more funny scenes in it. Still a likeable movie and I enjoy watching it a couple of times.
25. Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron: This is probably a movie that has a lot going for it and it does have great looking animation. It has a person trying to reunite with his horse and visually it's impressive but I will say that the movie itself isn't anything that special in my opinion. There are people who do really like this but it's not really my cup of tea if you know what I mean. There good things nonetheless and I would say to watch it.
24. Antz: The very first DreamWorks movie ever, 1998's Antz was the arch rival to Pixar's A Bug's Life. And while I personally don't think it's better than A Bug's Life, it's still fun and creative. The animation in this isn't amazing but it is good for the time and the story is a lot of fun. There's some funny scenes and it also was pretty unique for an animated movie back then to take this sort of dark tone in it. Don't get me wrong, there are some fun scenes, but this is a dark movie. There's talking decapitated heads, bad words, blood and violence. And it's still cool today and it's a fun time to watch it.
23. Rise of the Guardians: I watched this a couple of years ago with my brother and I remember both of us having a fun time with it. It has a brilliant idea, fun characters and one of the best on screen Santa Clauses I've seen. I wish though that they didn't make Jack Frost the main character though. I think that's the only problem I have. But I also like the other characters in this. Especially Hugh Jackman as the Easter Bunny.
22. Monsters vs. Aliens: This was easily one of the most hyped up DreamWorks movie ever because the marketing was leading to this being a great, funny and action packed movie. In the end it wasn't anything amazing but it was still enjoyable. Hands down, the best part is Seth Rogan as B.O.B. He's really funny, he has great lines and he just stole the entire movie. The rest isn't bad but it's kinda underwhelming and the animation is still weird in my opinion. Still not bad and I enjoy it for what it is.
21. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas: This is probably one of the most underrated DreamWorks movies out there. I have seen many reviews for this saying that's not good but I think that it's a really fun and exciting movie. Like if I ever wanted to watch a fun adventure movie made y DreamWorks, this is the one I would definitely watch. the only negative thing I think is wrong is that the ending wasn't anything spectacular and it was kinda disappointing. Aside from that, it also has a fun villain with Eris and Sinbad himself is a funny, charming and charismatic guy who's fun to follow on this journey. And the whole adventure is just fun all things considered and I can't think of a single other DreamWorks movie that was fun with the adventure in it.
20. Penguins of Madagascar: This is another one of those underrated ones. This movie is actually coming off of the Penguins TV show and it has the same kind of animation. I only saw this movie this February and I thought it was funny and the characters are the same old enjoyable selves. Mainly the penguins themselves. I'll admit it isn't perfect but it's still a fun ride in my opinion. And having it be centred around the best part of the Madagascar trilogy is what makes it for me.
19. The Croods: I never saw this in the cinema but I remember my brother did and he said he really liked it and so I saw it later when it later came out on DVD. It centred around a caveman family trying to find their way around the new world after their cave is destroyed in a cave-in. And the rest of the movie is nothing but a journey and comedy. I can't stretch this enough about how funny this movie is. And it's a great journey and a fun one. I also like the acting in this from actors like Emma Stone, Nicholas Cage and Ryan Reynolds. This was made before Turbo so it's before that disaster. And I like the animation in this which is once again great.
18. Bee Movie: This is easily the most underrated DreamWorks movie ever. I know people who hate this movie like my brother. Thankfully there are some people who do like this too. And it's a great idea in the movie. And it's also got great ideas for the world that this movie has created. Like when the bees are working in the hive, it's cool to see all the inventions that are used. But even if that wasn't there, it's still a fun ride. Yes there are some lame jokes and puns in this that didn't make a whole lot of sense but a lot of these jokes were funny and they were well-thought out and really hit the mark.
17. Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit: The first ever big screen adventure for Wallace and Gromit was  a humungous success and I remember when I first saw this movie in the cinema with my sister. I also remember how this was huge back then and how the creators of it were overwhelmed by it's success. Which makes it sad because right after it's release, the actually studio where they made it that had everything in it somehow burnt down with everything inside it destroyed. That' pretty sad. But the film itself is still great. I have all the previous Wallace & Gromit stories on DVD and I like them and the characters themselves are pretty much the same as before which is great to see. And the whole story is really creative with Wallace turning into this huge rabbit at night.
16. Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa: While many people this is to better than the first Madagascar movie, I don't really think that. That being said, I don't think it's bad. It's very good. I just don't think it's better than the first. But there's still great comedy, acting and fast and funny lines along with great slap-stick. And I can't help but really like the beginning and ending. There are some thing that are wrong but I consider them to be the best parts in the movie. There's also the love to hate villain, Makunga who's pretty good and well played by Alec Baldwin. It also has that awesome and intense and hilarious climax with the dam.
15. The Road to El Dorado: This is also another one of the funniest DreamWorks movies ever. It has 2 con men trying to find the city of El Dorado and trying to take as much money as they can while leaning about the civilisation. And through out the movie, it's nonstop comedy while also having some cool animation and action.
14. Flushed Away: This was made by the same Wallace & Gromit crew. However, unlike those movies that were stop-motion, this one is C.G.I. But thankfully the designs are kinda the same as the one on the Wallace & Gromit stories and in my opinion, this is better than the Curse of the Were-Rabbit. It once again has Hugh Jackman doing the voice for Roddy. And unlike his Wolverine performance which is awesome, gritty, brutal and killer like, this one is wimpy, weak and a tidy guy. It also has probably the most creative of all the worlds that Ardman has created. Is it my favourite movie they've made? No, I'll get to that in a minute but I still really like this movie and I remember it having a big influence on me when I was younger. For reasons I don't want to talk about.
13. Chicken Run: This is what I was just talking about. This is my favourite Ardman movie and for obvious reasons. Not only is it very well written and animated, but it also has some great adult jokes as well and enjoyable characters that help move this whole thing along. And I also like how they manage to do all the things they're able to do in this movie and yet it's all stop-motion. That is super impressive to me. And I remember this being a nostalgic movie for me and my dad with us watching it a whole bunch of times when I was younger. And it's all just a great movie.
12. Over the Hedge: You all know what I thought of this when I did my review of this. You all know I really like this movie and the songs that are in it. I also really like the cast in this too. All these actors are comedy masters and I loved them all here. It also is very great with it's animation with it being very colourful creative and fun to watch. I wish this movie got more praise then it got because, while it isn't perfect, it is still a very good movie in my opinion.
11. The Prince of Egypt: DreamWorks's 2nd movie, the Prince of Egypt was a hit back in 1998. And I've already told you all what I thought of this movie and I guess I don't have much else to say but I think it's a very unique DreamWorks movie. Especially given the fact that it's taking inspiration from a story like this. And the songs are also very, very good in my opinion.
10. Madagascar: The first in the very famous Madagascar movies is a strange movie to me because I remember this being a movie I was kinda scared of when I was seeing it at first but I still liked it nonetheless. It also has some of the biggest laughs in it's history. And I also remember loving the penguins in this too with them being the biggest highlights of the movie and them being super enjoyable. And it was great to me back then and I still think it's great and to this day, it is one of the best animated comedies I've ever seen.
9. Madagascar 3: Europe's most Wanted: Probably the best of the Madagascar trilogy, this movie has some of the biggest laugh in all of DreamWorks's history. As well as one of it's best and funniest villains. I also like how they sorta went all over the place for it's locations. And when I saw this move in the cinema in 3-D in 2012, it looked amazing. Especially the whole circus part with all of it together. I think that that is some of the best animation DreamWorks has ever done. I loved it then and I love it now.
8. Shrek: The first instalment in the Shrek movies is a great time. When it was released in 2001, it got everyone hooked and had everyone love these characters. And the story is so amazing to watch. And it's also a really well directed movie. I actually rewatched this movie again recently with my dad after a long time and I managed to notice small things that I've never noticed before. In my opinion, it's one of those movies that get better the second time you see it.
7. Puss in Boots: The spin-off for one of the most popular Shrek characters, Puss in Boots not only brings us that, but it also successfully tells us a well put together story with great looking animation, fun characters and funny moments sprinkled in there. And it's a fun journey as well. Just following these characters and it being centred on Puss is great considering he was one of the best parts of the Shrek movies. And it also has some great acting from some of the original cast and the new ones. I will say that it also has an almost scary ending with the Great Terror coming over the clouds and seeing it's shadow on the ground and it has some hilarious and freaky villains with Jack and Jill.
6. Shrek 2: Definitely the best of all the Shrek movies and this is most definitely 100% the funniest of the Shrek movies too. The characters are just great in this and they're very likeable. Donkey is also hilarious in this. But what do you expect from an Eddie Murphy performance. And it's also a very colourful and fantastically animated movie too with one of the most intense and fun DreamWorks climaxes ever.  And in my opinion, it is far superior than the first one which was already great.
5. Kung Fu Panda: When a lot of YouTubers I know first saw Kung Fu Panda in cinemas in 2008, they all fell in love with it. And can you blame them? It has one of DreamWorks's best protagonists with Po and it has some of the best animated fight scenes in any animated movies. And there's also the beautiful looking world that they made for it. This entire movie is fantastic to look at. And it also surprising that in all this comedy and action, there's also a whole lot of well done drama and you feel it the whole way through.
4. Kung Fu Panda 3: This year's Kung Fu Panda is the 2nd 3rd movie in a DreamWorks franchise that was actually really good, if you know what I mean. You all know what I thought of it considering I've already made a review for it. And I can't say enough praises for this. It's great and it helped bring DreamWorks back after, let's just say, some unmemorable movies And it was also great to see that DreamWorks has still got it and they know how to do a great 3rd movie and show that they still know how to tell great stories. I think they should stop here with the Kung Fu Panda movies because I don't know what they could do from here on out.
3. How to Train Your Dragon: The first in my brother's favourite DreamWorks franchise. How to Train Your Dragon is a phenomenal movie and it gets so many things right. And to think that this movie was actually directed by Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois. As in the same directors of Lilo & Stitch. That is amazing. And it gave, me at least, one of my favourite dragons ever with Toothless. But even with that, the movie is still tons of fun.
2. How to Train Your Dragon 2: To think that 2014's How to Train Your Dragon 2 is a movie that was better than the first one by every means of the word. And I mean it improved everything. And everything was already amazing so making that 100000 times better is beyond spectacular. This is easily one of the best animated C.G.I movie I've ever seen. It even has one of the best DreamWorks villains ever with Drago. And I can't wait to see the 3rd movie in 2018.
1. Kung Fu Panda 2: I've said it before and I'm saying it again. Kung Fu Panda 2 perfectly encompasses the idea of a great animated movie and a fun one too. I can't believe they managed to get everything in this perfectly right and gave us some unbelievable fast, stylish and awesome fight scenes. It even went deeper and more fun with the characters. Po is still his funny, lovable and hungry self but now he's more determined and serious. And overall, it's just a perfect movie to me. I can't stretch it enough and I absolutely love it. Thank you all for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment