Friday 18 August 2017

The Defenders: Season 1

And so everyone, we're finally here at one of the biggest superhero related entertained of the year, the Defenders. This was one of my most anticipated things of the whole year. I've loved almost all the previous M.C.U shows and I've loved all the trailers we've been getting including this new one we got yesterday.
And so I was obviously really excited for it and I managed to watch the whole show in just a few hours. Also, this will have spoilers and sorry this is coming out so fast, but I'm going on holidays tomorrow so I won't be writing anything for a week. Anyway, yeah, if you don't want anything spoiled, go see the show if you want, then come back and read this. All right, you've been warned. So, as I just said, I was super excited for this show and I was hoping they learned from the mistakes of Iron Fist. And did they? Yeah, they absolutely did. I loved the Defenders. Which I know is a bit of a stretch already, but this show was so much fun. I don't know if I can say it was perfect, but I still loved it. The basic plot of this is that the Hand have finally made their move and they've managed to resurrect Electra from the dead now calling her the Black Sky like we saw in Daredevil: Season 2. And so now, Matt Murdock, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Danny Rand have assembled with the help of Stick to try to take down the Hand. And that's what's important about this show. The fact that this is like the Avengers but for these Netflix heroes. We're also getting a new villain in this named Alexandra played by Sigourney Weaver and we learn a lot more about the Hand as well and their connection to K'un-Lun. And that was awesome. And while it is that, I think the best part is the same with the Avengers, seeing these heroes we've seen meeting and interacting. And seeing them interacting is just the same as the Avengers did, which is fantastic. One group in particular with Luke and Danny who are best friends in the comics, so that makes sense. And we get to see a lot of the other side characters from the other shows as well like Karen, Foggy, Colleen, Misty, Stick and, of course, Claire. And the whole story centred around all of them and the heroes and the Hand was great. I mean, with the heroes trying to take them down. Something else this show succeeds at is the runtime. And I don't mean in actual time, I mean the amount of episodes. With all the other shows, they were always 13 episodes, but here, we get 8 episodes which I think works because I think that's one thing that made the other shows, especially Iron Fist, kinda drag on a little. But, because it's only 8 episodes, the story of the show manages to keep it in it's own story and it didn't have to divert it into any subplots. And all the actors give really great performances here. Well, okay, almost all. Finn Jones seems to be a little better this time. There are some times when he doesn't seem that great, but for the majority, I do think he's better this time. Especially since the writing for him seems to be better too. And everyone else is amazing. Charlie Cox, Kristen Ritter and Mike Colter are of course fantastic, but everyone all around does a great job too. And the action in this is really great too. Unlike Iron Fist that kinda suffered from having some pretty bad action scenes like the choreography and editing problems, this show fixes that and we get some absolutely amazing fight scenes. This is, again, another R-rated show and it doesn't shy away from being super brutal. There were quite a few moments that made my mouth drop. Especially the scene in the building at the end when Bakuto cut off Misty's arm and then Colleen cuts his head off. Although, that's in the comics too. In the comics, Misty does have a robotic arm, so maybe we'll see that soon. And speaking of scenes that made my mouth drop, there was the death of Stick. That honestly really shocked me and it was kind of a sad scene. And the actual ending to the show was also good, where it looks like Matt is dead when he tried to get through to Electra. Although, we see him being taken care of by some mysterious people at the very, very end. I guess we'll know who they are in Season 3 of Daredevil. And speaking of Matt and Electra, their relationship was great. But, in my opinion, the best connection like that, in my opinion, is the relationship between Danny and Colleen, which was one of the best parts of Iron Fist. And, like I said, the interactions with these characters was amazing and I was so excited to see these four heroes team up and fight together inside that building when we first saw them all together and fighting together. However, I think we should talk about the few problems I have with this show. It may be close to perfect, but it's not. For one thing, even though I liked how the show only had 8 episodes, there were some parts of the pacing, especially in the first and second episodes that were, not bad, but, I sorta feel like they were trying to reintroduce us into these characters again. And I understand, but with the fact that it's only 8 episodes and they had to get through this as fast as possible, I guess, it did seem a little too slow for me at the start. I was entertained, but still. And also, I found it strange that we didn't see them all come together until the end of episode 3. Though, again, it wasn't bad, I just think that maybe they coulda done it a little fast like maybe the end of episode 2 or the start of episode 3. And, I also found it weird that we didn't see Matt as Daredevil until episode 6. Which is something I thought about. It was said that after Electra died, he stopped being Daredevil for over a year. Which, I gotta say, reminds me a lot of other superhero movies like the Dark Knight Rises and the Amazing Spider-Man 2. But, also, I think maybe the biggest problem I have is a sorta conflict that goes on between the four of them with Danny because the Hand wants to use him to open the door but the others want to keep him safe. I think that that didn't really need to be there and they might have been trying to do a lot of things that the M.C.U movies were doing with sorta having their heroes have small conflicts at times. But, overall, the Defenders might be the most fun I've had with these M.C.U Netflix shows. I don't know if I can say it's the best, but it is my favourite and I had so much fun with watching these four heroes interact. This was a great way to end the M.C.U Netflix phase one of shows and I can't wait for phase two, just like the movies. It's fun, funny, it has great action and performances, mostly, a great villain with Alexandra and it was definitely worth the wait. Thank you all so much for read. I had a great time talking about the Defenders and I'm looking forward to the Punisher show later this year. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment