Sunday 19 November 2017

Justice League

And so everyone, here we are at the last comic book movie of 2017 and one of the most anticipated of all time, Justice League. I was so unbelievably excited for this movie. Sure, the DC.E.U doesn't have the greatest track record ever, but they did have Wonder Woman this year, which was pretty good, plus, this movie was starring characters I've loved from the comics and cartoons I've been reading and watching for a long time. Plus, when you really think about it, this is the DC.E.U's version of the Avengers. And with all that together, and the fact that it is the Justice League, I was so excited. And what did I think of it? ...Well... some might agree or disagree when I say this, but I had a great time with this movie and I really liked it. Or, at the very least, I really liked a lot of parts from it. There were so many things in this I didn't like, but there were a lot of things here that I absolutely loved. Like, a lot. This movie haven't been getting the best reviews ever, which is kinda sad to hear considering everyone was excited for this movie like me, but, while I can't say I don't understand, because there were things here that were bad, but I still had an absolute blast with this movie. I really liked it. Okay, before I get into that, let's talk about the story first. And, yes, like the other movies I've reviewed this year, the first part will be spoiler free, and then, after a warning, I'll get into the spoilers. Okay, what's the story? It opens up with Batman stopping a criminal in order to lure something out and then we see everyone who knew Superman still really missing him. In fact, even Martha Kent is selling the family house. After that, we see Batman trying to find and recruit Aquaman, the Flash and Cyborg but some of them aren't going so well. The Amazons also have one of the Mother Boxes with it acting up and then Steppenwolf comes from it. He tries to get it and the Amazons try to stop him, but he manages to get it and get away. Wonder Woman then tells Batman about Steppenwolf and the Mother Boxes and says they need to recruit the other as fast as they can. But another problem they're facing is that Cyborg isn't very happy with being part machine now but then his dad gets kidnapped by a Parademon so now those four come together and fight Steppenwolf who's been trying to find the other Mother Boxes. And when they find him and fight him, Aquaman joins them. And I'll stop right there. So, there's obviously a lot of stuff in this movie that works really well, and there's definitely some stuff that really doesn't. But first, let's go over the good stuff. The cast is really great hear. Ben Affleck is still awesome as Batman and this version of Batman is even better than in Batman V Superman. He doesn't kill anyone, he has a few funny one liners and his interactions with the everyone is a lot of fun. Gal Gadot is really cool as Wonder Woman again and, while she may not have been as good as in the Wonder Woman solo movie earlier this year, she's still really good. And all the new ones are really great too. Ezra Miller was a lot of fun as the Flash. He's the funniest part of the movie and he never gets annoying. Jason Momoa is awesome as Aquaman, if not a little over the top. But I still really liked him. And Ray Fisher as Cyborg was really, really good. But, we'll get into his character in a second. And everyone else, even if the characters don't appear a lot here, they're all really great. We'll get into one character and actor in the spoiler section. A lot of the effects are really cool. Not all of them, but still. There were a lot of funny scenes in this that made me and the audience laugh pretty hard, especially one scene in particular that made everyone, including me, laugh out loud. I'll say what it was in the spoilers. And, probably my favourite part was the interactions between the characters. Every time we saw those scenes, I was loving it and there was a lot of comedy that came from it. Although, I'm just gonna say it, some of the interactions and how it's done and at what time reminds me a lot of, again, the first Avengers movie. Even down to how it's done and when it's done. They get together, they fight the villain once and then they sorta have some arguing amongst themselves, which they resolve fast and team up properly to fight the main villain again, just like in the first Avengers. There are so many scenes that reminded me of the first movie. Which, I guess is kinda what was to be expected because, Joss Whedon, who directed the first two Avengers movies had to come in after Zack Snyder left before they were finished to do some rewrites and reshoots. And when it's shown what scenes he did, you can very easily tell. But, sorta moving away from that, because we are in the good things here, this world is so much more like a real fun world. Unlike the movies from last year which were really dark and depressing, this one, and Wonder Woman, are much more colourful and fun. It feels so much more like a fun time in this movie than some of those other ones. The music is also really cool. Some of it is just the standard kinda music you'd hear in a lot of comic book movies nowadays, but sometimes, and this is a little bit of a spoiler, but not really, they actually do remixes of music from past DC movies, which was really cool to hear, like the original Batman music. That was awesome. And, finally, for the good stuff, probably the thing I loved in this movie the most was how epic and awesome it really felt. I'll explain more in the spoilers, but, there was one scene in particular that made me really giddy and excited and I was so hyped when it happened. I had a really big grin on my face when it happened. Again, I'll explain in the spoilers. Okay, now let's get into the negatives, 'cause this is far from perfect. As to be expected from something like this, there are so many things in this that make no sense at all, like some character's motivations and ideals. Even some of their personalities. The story is also really weak. Not only is the structure not very good, but the pacing is really, really weird. I mean, it's doesn't let up at all. It gets into the main plot right away. Again, I know the Avengers kinda did the same thing, but, in that movie, it made sense because you already got attached to those characters and they had likeable personalities. Here, it's not even clear for a lot of them. With the members of the Avengers, we already knew who they were because they had individual movies to set them up and make them likeable. Here, they just rush everything. That's the biggest thing with this movie, it's really, really rushed. They try to cram so much in here as possible with setting up all these characters, introducing some of them like Steppenwolf and they cut from scene to scene and location to location so many times with so many things happening that it's really rushed. I think the best example of this is with Cyborg. I mean, he's likeable and Ray Fisher does do his best, but they don't really do anything with him and he don't get to know him at all. And the scenes with him and his dad are way too fast that, even though the acting is really good, it doesn't excuse the fact that it does it way too fast. Also, while a lot of the effects and action are really good, some of this is really bad. There are so many bad C.G.I and green screen moments and sometimes the action is edited weird that you can't follow it very well. And, probably the biggest weakness of this movie is the villain, Steppenwolf. This guy sucks so hard. Not only does he look really C.G.I, but he's also really generic, nonthreatening and really unmemorable. I don't remember a thing about this guy other than he was after the Mother Boxes and that he called them Mother. And, one last thing for the negatives, they have some characters have some connections that don't sense. Probably the biggest is Batman to Superman. He wants him back, okay, fine, but that doesn't really make sense with the way he acts, especially since they were only friends for an hour in Batman V Superman and even before that, Batman wanted to kill him. I know they were friends afterwards, but still. So anyway, finishing this part of the review up, Justice League is a really fun time at the cinema, but it's far from perfect as I've said with way too many cheesy scenes. I personally liked it a lot and I loved certain scenes, but there wasn't anything that made me think that this one of my favourite comic book movies ever. I would say that this is just a fun time if you just ignore the problems I mentioned, but you'll most likely have problems with it too. And so that's my review of Justice League. Thank you all for reading. And now, let's get into the spoilers. If you don't want anything spoiled go see the movie and then read the rest. Okay, here we go.
Spoilers:
Firstly, I want to talk about the return of Superman.

That was one of the best parts of the movie in my opinion that I absolutely loved. Henry Cavill is still really good as the character and this is my favourite onscreen version of the character since the 1978 version. He's full of hope, fun and cheesiness. I loved it. Although, the fact that they had to edit off the moustache he had was kinda distracting and really weird in some parts. That part that I said I absolutely loved the most was when all six of them finally teamed up at the end. I lost my mind when I saw that. Seeing these heroes on the big screen fighting Steppenwolf was so amazing and I loved every second of it. Especially that group shot of them all together on that roof. It made me really geek out. It reminded me a lot of the group shot in the first Avengers again.

And, like I said, for me, the funniest part was when Superman said to Batman "Do you bleed" like what Batman said to him in Batman V Superman, and then Batman says "Yup, something is definitely bleeding." That was the scene that made me and the whole audience laugh. It reminded me a lot of Tony Stark, which is what I like from Batman, when he lets out a joke every once in a while like in the original animated shows and you can tell that that was something from Joss Whedon. And the interactions between Batman and Superman were great and I also loved that. That flashback with everyone vs. Steppenwolf and the Parademons was absolutely amazing. We even got to see some Green Lanterns, which made me geek out as well. I really loved that Darkseid reference. This movie handled references really good and that was no exception. And now, I want to talk about my favourite part. The end credit scenes. The first was really funny with Superman and Flash racing to see who's the fastest man alive, which they've done in the comics a lot, which was really funny, but the end credit scene, which, again, I think was my favourite scene in the movie, was Lex Luthor talking to Deathstroke.

That really, really made me lose my mind with excitement. I went nuts when I saw that. The fact that Deathstroke is now 100% confirmed to be in this universe is absolutely amazing to me considering I love this character. He looks really cool and it was great to see him. And it looked like he and Luthor were talking about setting up the Injustice Gang. That was great to see and if Batman's solo movie is out next year, hopefully we'll see Deathstroke be the main villain, which I would love. And so those are the spoilers of Justice League. Thank you all very much for reading, I had a great time talking about my thoughts on this movie and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment