Saturday 4 November 2017

Thor: Ragnarok

And so, now, everyone, we're at the next comic book movie of 2017 and the 17th Marvel Cinematic Universe movie. Obviously, with that, I was so incredibly excited for this. Especially after hearing a ton of great reviews about this. Every review I saw about this movie said that it was phenomenal and super hilarious. And, yeah, it's both those thing. I had an absolute blast with Thor: Ragnarok. And yes, like every review I've done this year, the first part of this will be spoiler free and then I'll do all the spoilers. Okay, what's the story? We start off with Thor being imprisoned by a monster who says he's going to destroy all of Asgard, but Thor easily beats him and takes his crown defeating him. When Thor tries to go back to Asgard, we get to meet Skurge, played by Karl Urban. We then see how Loki is making everyone do what he wants because he's still impersonating Odin. But when they go to get Odin back, with the help of Stephen Strange, he disappears and releases Hela, played by Cate Blanchet. But she knocks them away and Thor and Loki end up on Sakaar, a sorta dump, gladiator planet where Thor has to fight Hulk. Hela is also now on Asgard about to take it over. And I'm gonna stop right there. Now I went to this movie excited, but, I was also thinking of something. The fact that the first two Thor movies were sorta, well, not the best that the M.C.U had to offer. I like them and they're fine, but they're easily towards the bottom of the M.C.U movies and they don't really have much rewatchablity that a lot of the other M.C.U movies have. But, like I said, I had heard great things about this movie and so that didn't really worry me. And what I got was, probably, the second funniest comic book movie I've ever seen along side Deadpool. This movie was incredible and it's easily my favourite Thor movie. Firstly, this cast is absolutely fantastic. This is my favourite Chris Hemsworth Thor performance. He was really funny and awesome here. He still fits this role perfectly. Cate Blanchet is really fantastic as Hela and I personally think this was another great M.C.U movie villain. I loved her. She was super intimidating and she even had a couple funny scenes as well. Tom Hiddleston is still really great as Loki and he stole the movie in so many scenes. I still love him too. This is also my favourite Mark Ruffalo performance as Bruce/Hulk and this is my favourite portrayal of Hulk in the movies. He and Chris Hemsworth work off each really well with great chemistry and he was also really hysterical in a lot of these scenes. And all the rest like Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie, Karl Urban as Skurge, Idris Elba as Heimdal, Anthony Hopkins as Odin again. All of them. But the ones I especially want to mention are Jeff Goldblum as the Grandmaster, he was easily one of the funniest parts of the movie and every time he spoke, I laughed out loud, the director, Taika Waititi as Korg, I think he was the most fun part of the movie, I loved him, and Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange. Benedict Cumberbatch was already incredible in his own movie last year and we got to see him and Thor in the mid credit scene of his own movie and seeing him here was fantastic. Even if it's not long, I still loved it. The visuals are still great. They're some of the best in all the M.C.U. It's almost nonstop here and not once did it ever look fake. Especially the cinematography. Some of this is really beautiful to look at.  Now, the main part of this movie is, absolutely, the comedy. And this is easily the funniest M.C.U movie to date, even more than Guardians of the Galaxy. A lot of the jokes here had me and the entire audience laughing out loud. And, for me at least, it almost never went overboard. Apparently 80% of the comedy in this movie was improvised by the actors, which is incredible and it really shows. They even manage to make fun of the M.C.U in ways and that was kinda refreshing to see after 16 previous M.C.U movies. The jokes are practically nonstop here too. Some may love that and some might not. The action here is also really, really fantastic here. Some of them are so full of energy and adrenalin that I got the feeling of playing a huge Kingdom Hearts battle. I felt like I got so much energy after some of these. Especially one action scene towards the end. I have to give Taika Waititi major credit for how he directed a lot of these scenes. Just with the action and the comedy and how a lot of this plot progresses, it feels that much more unique and fresh, which was great to see. And also, something else I really loved in this was how much it really did change the M.C.U, which is something Kevin Feige said before. He said this movie was gonna change the M.C.U in a big way. And he was absolutely right. Especially, again, something at end totally does that.  Just the fact that something so weird, crazy and out there can make it into a movie like this and work totally amazes me and it's a lot of fun to see. And that's really the best way to describe this movie. Fun. This is a really fun movie. Something else that I personally thought was cool to see was the Planet Hulk storyline. Seeing that graphic novel incorporated into this movie was amazing to see, especially given how that's my second favourite Hulk story next to World War Hulk. So seeing that armour on him was such an awesome piece of fan service. The movie also looks great. Not just the visual effects, but also the colours and actual sets, they all look fantastic. Now, as far as problems I have with the movie, this wasn't perfect. Firstly, probably the most obvious is that some of the jokes. None of them were bad, but I think there might have been too many and they forced some of them onto us too much. I wish they took some of this was a little more serious at points. Especially during the climax. But also, the other problem I have is with Thor's friends. I'm talking about Fandral, Hogun, and Volstagg. Something happens to them early on and I wish they had more screen time. I really like them. We never even see Sif. She's not mentioned at all. And the final problem I have is that Hela can sometimes give a little too much exposition. It is cool, but I feel it was done to much. Especially around the third or second time she did it. But, besides that, this is a total blast of a movie and I had so much fun with it. It's another great M.C.U movie and easily my favourite Thor movie. Definitely go out and see this if you're a fan of Marvel. I highly recommend seeing this. For this year's M.C.U movies, I'd put this below Spider-Man: Homecoming, but above Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. And so everyone, that's my spoiler free review of Thor: Ragnarok. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.
Spoilers:
Okay, first, I want to talk about Surtur. He's the big fire monster that I was talking about. The opening with him and Thor with the chain spinning around was hilarious. And I thought the twist where we see that Hela is actually Thor's sister was awesome. Especially the pictures on the ceiling. The Stan Lee cameo was hilarious with him cutting Thor's hair. Odin dies and that was pretty sad considering Odin has always been one of my favourite characters in the Thor movies. I think my favourite comedic moment was when Thor threw that ball at the window trying to break it but then it hit him in the face. Either that or the snake story Thor tells. I loved the opening play with Loki telling them to re-enact the death of Loki from Thor: The Dark World. I loved that. And I guess Stephen can do different magic tricks now with him teleporting better. And probably the biggest spoiler is the ending when Thor goes Warrior Rage mode was incredible, and, like I said, I think my favourite action scene was him on the bridge fighting Hela's minions. And finally, at the end, Surtur destroys all of Asgard. That really surprised me and it was a super big risk to take and it worked extremely well. And I thought the part where Surtur kills Hela was awesome. And finally, the end credit scenes. First off, there was Thanos arriving on his ship, or, at least, I'm pretty sure that was Thanos. My guess is that him and Thor, along with the other Asgardians are gonna fight, but then Thor loses and gets thrown off into space where he meets the Guardians of the Galaxy, which is what we saw in the leaked Infinity War trailer at D23. That would be amazing. Also, Loki totally stole the Tesseract. He's most likely going to give it to Thanos so he'll live. I hope Hulk is able go with Thor too. And the after credit scene shows the Grandmaster at the dump and that was incredibly funny.  And I think that that's all the spoilers I had a great time talking about it. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment