Sunday 5 February 2017

Kingdom Hearts

So here I'm going to be reviewing every single Kingdom Hearts game leading up to 2.8. I've already talked about Kingdom Hearts a million times but I think I should review every single game and give more info about each game. I mean I'm doing review for arguably my favourite thing ever, (or so to speak), and so now we're gonna start with the one that started it all. I think I'm going to do these reviews like how I do movie reviews. I already did a review for Kingdom Hearts: Union X and when it finishes, I'll do a part 2 to that review. And so, let's begin with Kingdom Hearts 1. This game was a ginormous surprise back in 2002 when it was coming out. I heard a lot of people thought it was going to be a terrible game with the idea of transferring Final Fantasy with Disney. I've heard people say that a bunch of times on YouTube. But thankfully this game surprised everyone in how absolutely incredible it was. It actually did help to change a few things in the gaming industry as I've heard and helped some other people in other places at companies too. And even besides that, it's also just an absolutely outstanding game. So firstly the story of this first game. What's the story? Firstly it has that awesome opening with that amazing song and visuals.
It then really opens up where you're Sora and you're fighting Heartless but it turns out to be a dream and he's really on an island with his friends Riku and Kairi. The three of them are making a raft to go out and see other worlds. Somewhere else, at a place called Disney Castle, King Mickey has vanished and told Donald and Goofy to find "the key" and follow the one who has it. And at the same time, on the night before Sora, Riku and Kairi were going to take the raft out, a storm appears above Destiny Island and engulfs it and takes the three of them away. Before that, Sora gets a mystical weapon called the Keyblade. He then ends up in a place called Traverse Town where he meets Donald and Goofy and some Final Fantasy characters like Leon, Cid, Yuffie and Aerith. He, Donald and Goofy also fight creatures called Heartless. And we also find out a ton of Disney villains are gathered and are making a plan.
Anyway, Sora, Donald and Goofy then go off to many different Disney worlds and defeat countless Heartless as well as Disney villains and befriending a ton of people while also trying to find Riku, Kairi, the King and trying to figure out what's going on. And that's where I'm going to stop. Firstly, I'll talk about the gameplay. The combat in this game is extremely creative. Especially for back then and it's beyond unique and creative. There's also a ton of things to do besides the main story like collecting all the treasure chests and finding all the Dalmatian puppies. It's also fun at the colloseum where you fight different Heartless and bosses. And it's amazing to fight some of the huge bosses like Hades, the Ice Titan, the Rock Titan and of course, Sephiroth. There's also a variety of Keyblades too to get. Not just the ones you get from finishing a world, but also the ones you get from finishing mini-games as well and a whole bunch of summons you can get to help you like Simba, Mushu, Dumbo, Bambi and others. The world designs are also incredible and very close to exactly accurate to the way they were in the Disney movies and the new worlds are just as amazing to look at. But let's get down to what really makes this game series so amazing and perfect, the story and characters. The story here is incredible. Super creative, easy to follow and it makes you want to follow it more and more. But let's really get to the best part, the characters and cast. These characters, especially Sora, are the best cast of characters I've ever seen in anything. And that counts for the entire series. They're just absolutely fantastic. Same with the cast. I know a lot of you are probably going to disagree with me when I say this, but I don't think there's ever been a better voice cast, or just cast in general, in anything than this. Haley Joel Osment as Sora, Hayden Panettiere as Kairi, David Gallagher as Riku. I mean, come on, these roles are perfectly cast. And they were still kids when they were doing these voices and they did a phenomenal job. And even the supporting cast like the new characters to the Final Fantasy characters and Disney characters. This cast is still absolutely perfect. And seeing all these different characters interacting with each other and working together, that's one thing that carries this game. And the many scenes that are fantastic here are absolutely incredible. Like everything that happens in Hollow Bastian, the ending, finding out Riku is falling to darkness, the journey. Just everything you can imagine is fantastic here. The writing and dialogue is amazing here and how they managed to come up with this imaginative a story back then really amazes me. It's awesome. And do I even have to mention the two scenes that really stick out to me. Yeah, I've already talked about it so much. The scene where Sora gives his speech about his friends and his heart and the scene where he sacrifices himself to save Kairi with that incredible music. And speaking of music. That's another fantastic thing here. the music in this entire game and game series is the best music I've ever heard in my life. I mean, it's just that amazing. So wow, I've said so many good things you all must think that I think that this game is perfect right? Well, as much as I hate to say it, there are a few problems. Some things in the game is a little confusing, especially when they have you require to know exactly what to do and where to go. Sometimes you can get lost on where to go or not. And, and this is probably the biggest one for me, but some of the worlds here are, well, I'm just going to say it, pretty bad. Like Wonderland where you can easily lose track of where to go, or Atlantica where you're basically a fish and the mechanics are really bad, but the worst one is easily the Deep Jungle. This world has gotten so much hate from everyone. And the biggest problem is the platforming. That's probably what Kingdom Hearts is most likely known for. Having bad platforming and the platforming here is pretty bad. Especially the whole hippo thing. Also, some of the bosses are a little unfair like Trick Master, Ursula and Clayton. Besides that though, this game is almost flawless for me. It's also a lot of fun going around fight really uniquely designed Heartless and levelling up to get even stronger. And that ending always gets me where Sora decides not to go back home so he can find Riku and King Mickey
And so yeah, in the end, this is a amazing game and one of the best I've ever played. If you haven't played this game yet, or any of the Kingdom Hearts games, I highly, highly recommend you do. Thank you all reading, look forward to my review of Chain of Memories next and please comment down below to tell me what you thought of this.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!The music,cast and how emotional the story is really does it for me!I have played it nearly 10 times and I keep discovering new things.It will always be my favourite KH game.

    ReplyDelete