Monday 10 March 2014

How to train your dragon

For a while I'm going to review some DreamWorks movies. I've made reviews for Shrek and Kung-Fu panda which were made by DreamWorks too. Now I'm going to do more. Let's start with one of my favourites How to train your dragon. By all outward appearances I should actually hate this movie. This has so many elements that I can't stand in a movie. The geeky dweeb who becomes the hero. The annoyed parent who will never listen. The misunderstanding that will break them apart a just result in them sad and depressed. The hiding the pet so no one will see it. Even the liar revealed subplot which I should say right now I absolutely hate. This is stuff I usually can't stand. But for some reason, here, it really, really works. There's just some thing about the way this story s told and presented and paced that just really, really gets it. What's the story? A young boy named "Hiccup" lives in a world of Vikings who spend most of their time trying to fight off dragons. Why? Because they believe that dragons are evil. And who can blame them? They constantly attack, breath fire and they're just dangerous animals. But Hiccup begins to see things a little differently when he come across a wounded dragon called a "Night fury" in the middle of a forest. So  Hiccup decides to study him. He actually names the dragon. He names him "Toothless." As he spends more and more time with him he realises that dragons are not really evil. They're like any other animal. Just as long as they can be understood they can be trained to be peaceful. So Hiccup uses this advantage to fight off other dragons... in a sense. He doesn't really fight them he actually finds non-violent ways to defend them off. Which gets him the attention of the village where he lives called "Berk", and more importantly his father who mostly sees him as a disappointment but now finally sees something they can connect with. But gee will the father's anger issues get in the way to the point where he says he doesn't have a son and all that other stuff? Yes. But it's actually done pretty good here. The only reason I can think of as to why it work here and not in other stories is that the pacing just so good. Every time something happens you see how it effects the characters. Every emotion feels genuine. You see that when the characters are happy they feel genuinely happy, when they're jealous they feel genuinely jealous and when they're heart-broken you really feel how heart-broken they are. And I think so much of that comes from the fact that they take the time to let us know these people. And it's not ruched. The flying scenes unbelievable. I mean they are great and wonderful to look at. When this movie came out it was in 3-D. And I still stand by it when I say this is the greatest looking 3-D movie I've ever seen. I saw it in the Gate and it blew me away. Anytime there's a flying scene you felt like you were on this dragon and you were riding where ever the rider was going. I don't know what they did, how or they did it, but more movies need to do this. They're actually making a second one this year. I'm really excited to see it. I mean I absolutely love the first one so I don't really know what to expect with the second one. They actually made a TV show from this. And I just love the TV show. I have to say though, this is definitely  one of my favourite DreamWorks movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment