Sunday 12 March 2017

Logan

Well, here we are. The newest X-Men movie and the final Wolverine movie by Hugh Jackman. This movie is also directed by James Mangold who last directed The Wolverine which I liked, even though it's not perfect. But I still liked it and it was awesome a lot with the action. And so having all that come back for the final portrayal of one of the most famous and iconic superheroes of all time. And, if you remember, I said at the end of last year that my movie reviews were going to be different this year. So what I'm going to do is do a spoiler free review for the first part and then I'll do all the spoilers on another paragraph. So don't worry, I'm not going to spoil anything for you in the first part. So, what the story? It opens with Logan/Wolverine as an old man in a car and he starts fighting a bunch of people trying to mess with him and he then attends a funeral. He's also driving a lot of people around all the time to get money to get pills for Charles/Professor X who he has hanging out at an old factory where he and a guy named Caliban are living nowadays. Logan is also trying to get money to buy a ship so they can leave where they are. But one day, a man goes into his car and gives him. And he also meets a woman who has a girl and she's asking him to bring them somewhere but he doesn't want to do it. The world is also much different. All the mutants are gone because of an incident that happened a year ago and this movie takes place in 2029 and now Logan and Charles have to protect this girl who may not need much help, if you know what I mean. And, I'm going to stop there. This is also the first real X-Men movie featuring Wolverine to be rated R. This movie is brutal. Oh my god. This is so much blood, limbs, decapitation, bad words and everything. I mean, they didn't hold back is the slightest. Wolverine goes absolutely berserk in this movie. All the things you seen in the trailers is just a small handful of what's really in the movie. This might be the most violent comic book movie I've ever seen as well as the most depressing. No, really, I almost cried when I watched this. It is so heart wrenching. The tone in this is very dark. The characters in this are very broken down here. Especially Wolverine. He's old, tired, broken down and beaten physically and emotionally. And it's brought to us amazingly through the performances. The performances in this are incredible. Hugh Jackman is of course fantastic as Wolverine. As I've said before, while I don't entirely see that it's Wolverine he's playing, he's always fantastic. Even in the horrible Origins movie, he's still amazing as the character and this might be his best performance as the character. He's amazing. It's even said in the title of the movie. He's not really Wolverine, he's just Logan. He's just an old man who used to have a lot of friends and adventures but now all that is gone and he's just an old man now who's trying to live the rest of his life and get through the obstacles that are in it. Patrick Stewart was also fantastic and seeing him the way he is here is heart breaking. He's a completely broken guy and seeing him the way he is here is so sad and depressing. It really is. You just want to see these two climb out of the hole they're in. Amazing performances from the two of them. Now the rest. First, Dafne Keen as X-23. She was also great. Seeing  a young girl in a serious hard R rated comic book movie like this could have been hard to do. But she really pulled it off. I really liked her as this character and she was awesome in the action. Steven Merchant was also really great as Caliban. I thought he was really likeable. Boyd Holbrook was cool as the villain, Pierce. And there's one other guy I'm not going to talk about yet until the spoilers. The film is also really well directed and edited. James Mangold absolutely knew what he was doing here. He did a fantastic job directing this. And, like I said, even if this movie is really dark, there's still some fun moments. Not a lot, but still, there is some fun to be found here. Even if it is kept at a minimum. There isn't much I didn't like here. One of the small problems I had was some of the talking. I think there might have been one too many scenes of that. And the other problem I have is something that happens at the beginning where they explain something that happened before. I'll say that in the spoilers. But, besides that, I really liked this movie. I don't know if I loved it. But still, this was a really great time at the cinema. Of course I'm recommending that you check this out.  Especially if you like the other X-Men movies. And this was a fantastic send-off to Hugh Jackman from this franchise. In fact, watch this. It's him saying goodbye from it on his last day.
So yeah, this movie is fantastic and I would easily tell you to go watch it. Okay, now, we're going to the spoilers. If you haven't seen this movie yet, go see it, then come back and read the rest. Here we go.
Spoilers:
Okay, firstly, I want to talk about the deaths. Charles dies, which I was really surprised by, but I did kinda see it coming. Still sad though. Caliban also dies which was pretty sad too because, as I said, I really liked him. And, of course, Wolverine dies. That was the part of the movie that really made me sad the most. That was the scene that almost made me cry. Especially X-23's reaction and when she said "daddy." And especially at the end with Wolverine's grave and she makes and X out of the cross. The whole comic book thing where they look through them was pretty cool. And I liked the way they got away from the Reevers the first time. I also really liked the Munson family I thought they were really likeable and it was so sad when X-24 killed them. Speaking of which X-24 was so cool as just this crazy and killing monster clone of Wolverine. The final fight with him and Wolverine was great too with them just going at each other and blood going all over the place. Now, that other character I was saying a second ago hat I didn't want to spoil was Dr. Rice. I thought he was pretty cool. Especially when he's trying to keep X-24 under control. I also really liked X-23's kid friends. I thought they were really likeable and enjoyable. There also wasn't any Stan Lee cameo. And there wasn't any end credit scene in case you were wondering. And that's my Logan review. Thank you all for reading and please comment to tell me what you think and tell me what you thought of the movie if you've seen it already.

No comments:

Post a Comment