Sunday 14 May 2017

Death Note Anime Review

Next up on my anime reviews is one of the most recent ones I've started watching and I finished it yesterday, Death Note. This was an anime I had heard a lot of great things about before I started and I was pretty excited when I was starting. And what I'll say is that it's not one of my favourites, but it's still really good and really interesting. And unlike the other animes I've mentioned before, this isn't an action anime. It's a sort of crime drama. And that's an interesting turn to take for an anime in my opinion. Death Note was originally a twelve manga series from 2003 by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata which then became an anime series the same year the manga ended in 2006. And I'll just say that this is definetly one of the most interesting animes I've ever seen. The plot of this is that it follows a guy named Light Yagami who finds a notebook called the Death Note which can be used to kill anyone by writing their name into it. And he also meets a Shinigami named Ryuk. Light then becomes crazy from the notebook and starts writing criminals names and decides that he's going to become a god of the new world. Eventually the police are trying to find out how people are dying and who's killing them. They name their target Kira and they call in the detective named L to find out who Kira is and bring him in. And so, the whole show, or at least the majority of the show, is a battle of nonstop wits between Light and L trying to take the other out. Light is trying to find out L's real name so he can kill him and L is trying to find out who Kira is. And while I didn't necessarily love this show, this whole plot did keep me really interested and intrigued. However, with that, this is also a really dark show. There's tons of deaths in the show and a lot of sadness too. And the characters here are really not admirable. Not because they're bad, but because a lot of them are dark and kinda twisted too. Light is the main character, but he's also the villain of the whole show with trying to kill L and the police which includes his own father. And you could consider him to be really despicable from what he's doing and how he's doing it. And another lot of it is showing Light and how incredibly smart he is with how he can trick everyone into thinking he's a good guy when in actuality he's doing all of these things. He's a very smart villain. I like to consider L to be the main protagonist and I even went back to my top 5 anime protagonists list and put him as an honourable mention. I really like L. He's my favourite character and he's really enjoyable. He's also really smart and the whole battle of wits between him and Light is so interesting and great to watch. L doesn't know that Light is Kira but he sorta suspects he is and so he's constantly trying to do things to prove it but Light finds a way out of it and he also joins up with L to make it look like he's going to help him catch Kira but in actuality, he's just trying to find out his real name to kill him. There's also another character named Misa who also has a Death Note and a Shinigami following her around named Rem who sorta has a crush on her. Misa also has a crush on Light and he decides to sorta use that to his advantage. He sorta acts like he wants to be with her and I guess he might, but unlikely. My guess is that he just wanted to use her and nothing else. I also really liked Ryuk. He was pretty cool. The animation is also amazing. It looks really beautiful and cool and the effects were really cool and beautiful. Also the colours are incredibly used. So yeah, this show sounds absolutely perfect and a fantastic show. What could possibly be wrong with it. Well, while it is fantastic, it's not perfect. It does have some pretty big flaws. It's fantastic until they choose to do something with the story that takes the whole show in a really, really bad direction. And this is it. So Light eventually manages to kill L once and for all and so nothing is left to stand in his way. But, there's the problem. L's death. As I said, the whole battle of wits between Light and L was the best part of this show and so getting rid of that sorta betrays it own tone and plot basics. This is the death scene.
After that, they introduce two new characters named Near and Mellow who aren't that good. Near kinda is, but he's just a rip-off of L and not very good. And that is such a humongous flaw because the best parts of the show came during the time L was still alive and the battle of wits and intelligences between the two of them was very interesting and entertaining. So eliminating that removes the purpose of this whole show. The only good episode afterwards for me is the last episode and everything concludes. This is the ending scene.
And that is cool, but even that has it's flaws because I feel that was something the manga did better. In the manga that scene was different and I would have wanted it done the way the manga did it. But aside from that, this is definetly a very good show. I don't love it and it's not one of my favourites as I said, but it's still pretty good and I highly recommend watching it. Thank you all for reading, please comment down below and please stay tuned for the next anime review coming soon, Dragon Ball Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment