Tuesday 30 May 2017

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

So everyone, we've arrived at my 600th blog entry. I was originally going to do something else for this, but then I went to see this movie and I changed my mind. And so, yeah, I'm really happy and kinda surprise that I've managed to make it this far and that this is actually happening. Anyway, let's get to the review. So this was kind of a big movie for me 'cause I was really excited. I love the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie as I've said a ton of times. It's my favourite pirate movie ever and one of my favourite action movies ever. The rest of the movies are, well, they're not the greatest movies ever, if you know what I mean. I already did reviews for all of them last year, so if you haven't yet, go read those to know my full thoughts on them. And so with that, and after hearing some reviews of everyone saying it was fine, I went to see it kinda excited but not really expecting much. And what did I think of it? I thought it was, like everyone else says, fine. It's definitely not as good as the first movie, but I would say that it might be my second favourite and an improvement over the others, but that's not really saying much I guess. And yes, this will be divided into a spoiler free part and then I'll do a spoiler part so if you don't want it spoiled, yeah, don't worry, I'll do a spoiler section. But first up, what's the story? It opens up with a boy named Henry trying to find his father who's actually Will Turner from some of the other movies. Years later it shows Jack, Gibbs and some other pirates robbing a bank, but then that fails and the other pirates leave him. It then shows Henry, now played by Brenton Thwaites, trying to find Jack so he can help him find something called the Poseidon's Trident that he believes will help him lift the curse from Will so he can be with him. And there's also a scene where we see Henry being apart of a ship to find him and it goes into a cave and some other ship begins to destroy it and kill everyone. And then we see the villain of the movie named Salazar, played by Javier Bardem. He makes Henry promise that if he finds Jack, he'll tell him. And so when Henry makes it to land, there's this woman there named Carina, played by Kaya Scodelario, who's also looking for a way to find the trident. And from here we see some old faces and new ones trying to find the trident and trying to find each other. And that's where I'll stop. Obviously, while that doesn't seem like a lot, there's still more to the story and that leads to a lot of great moments and some pretty bad moments too. But before we go to the negatives, I'll go over the good stuff. Some of the cast is good. Johnny Depp is of course great as Jack again. Yes, he does seem like he's overdoing the performance a little, but I always love him as this characters and this is no exception. Geoffrey Rush and Kevin McNally are still fantastic as Barbossa and Gibbs. I love them in these roles. And some of the new cast aren't all bad. Javier Bardem is great and cool as Salazar. Brenton Thwaites is pretty good as Henry. Nothing special, but still likeable and fine. Even the cameos were cool. The action, direction, C.G.I, cinematography and sets are still fantastic too. These movies always nail that aspect. The climax is also cool and really interesting. And the whole C.G.I deageing is awesome here. C.G.I deageing is where an actor has C.G.I on him or her to make them look younger. And when they do that to Jack, it's really awesome. This is really impressive and great to look at. There's even some really funny scenes. A lot of the funny scenes here aren't funny, but a large part of them are. Especially a scene that involved the Black Pearl. That made me laugh out loud. And I also really liked the ending where everything wraps up. There are even some big plot twists, especially one is particular involving Barbossa. That really surprised me. And yeah, that's the good stuff, but for the negatives. First up, the plot is so dumb here. Not only is it really predictable in so many places, but a lot of the things that happen here feel like some rehashed stuff from the other films. Some things don't even make sense. And there are even some big plot-holes that I asked myself when I finished watching it. Also, while I said some of the cast is good, some the cast is kinda bad too. Like Kaya Scodelario. At times she's fines and you do believe it, but man, this is not a good performance. There are a lot of times where she has to carry a lot of emotion in a scene, but it's not there at all. I thought she was pretty bad in a lot of these scenes. Same with some of the other cast too. And also, again, while some of the jokes are funny, some aren't and are kinda lazy and don't make sense. There are even some pretty boring scenes where it's nothing but exposition and a lot of it is a drag. They say some things so many times that it's just boring. Some of the plot twists I thought didn't think made sense. And the whole opening scene with the bank I mentioned, that scene was so weird. And not exactly in a good way. What was that at times anyway and it got a little too ridiculous. It was fun and funny, but still. And that's really it. So yeah, this film isn't as close to the first movie, but I think it might be my second favourite, but again, that's not really saying much. So I would say, if you like the Pirates movies and curious to watch this, go see it, fine. But don't expect anything special. And so everyone, that's my review of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think and thank you again for getting us this far in my blog with this being my 600th entry again. Thank you all so much for reading this far and I look forward to writing more.
Spoilers:
Okay, firstly the twists. The twist where it shows where Jack got the compass from was cool and how he became captain. But then the big twist at the end where it's revealed that Barbossa is actually Carina's father, that really blew my mind. I didn't expect that at all. So that was a nice touch and when he finally died at the end, that was pretty emotional. And as for the ending I was talking about, where Will is freed and he returns to Henry and Elizabeth, that was a nice touch and it was a good send-off. And as for that super funny scene I was talking about with the Black Pearl, that was where it began to grow and then it stopped and it was still small on the ground and then when Barbossa threw it into the water and it looked like it wasn't going to come back up, that was what made me laugh out loud. And there was also an after credit scene with Will and Elizabeth and Will having a dream about Davy Jones. That was one of the things I thought didn't make a lot of sense, but it wasn't that bad and it was a cool fake-out. And that's really all the spoilers. There isn't a lot of them. And so, thank you all for reading this and thank you again for getting this far with 600 entries and look forward to a lot more in future. Especially with what I have planned next.

No comments:

Post a Comment