Tuesday 16 May 2017

Dragon Ball Z Anime Review

Up next on my anime series reviews is one of the most popular ever, Dragon Ball Z. This is another anime I only sorta started watching recently. When I did that entry with my paintings of some of the characters, I was on Season 2 but ever since then, I started watching it online. And eventually I managed to finish a lot of it. So, as I said, Dragon Ball Z is one of the most popular animes ever and definetly one of, if not, the most recognised ever. I started watching this show at around February this year and I was really excited when I started watching it because I'd watched a lot of great reviews for it and a lot of the people from those reviews said that it's one of their favourite animes ever. And while, again, it's one my favourite animes, I do love a lot of it and I'm enjoying a lot of what I'm watching. Right now I'm on Season 8 and I'm starting the Majin Buu saga. People are saying that the Majin Buu saga is where the show sorta starts to go downhill. But once I watch more of it, I'll see for myself. Anyway, moving away from that, Dragon Ball Z was actually started in 1984 when Akira Toriyama wrote and illustraighted the original brilliant manga series which started off as an anime called Dragon Ball in 1986 and Dragon Ball Z started in 1989 and America got it in 1996. And even nowadays it still kinda holds up really well. A friend of mine and I were even talking about it one day and he and I kinda made fun of it because we both said that if you ever want to know what happens in the show, all you have to do is look at a person for a long time and scream as loud as you can and you'll basically get it. It was just a small joke that we both made up because this show has so much of both of those things. Face-offs and almost non-stop screaming. But there's a lot more to it than that. The characters in this are probably the most iconic anime/manga characters ever. There's Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Krillin, Piccolo, Master Roshi, King Kai, Yamcha, Tien, Chiaotzu and even the villains like Frieza, Cell, Raditz and Majin Buu. I've already mentioned that my favourite character is either Goku, Vegeta or Piccolo. And my favourite actor is a toss up between their actors too. Sean Schemmel, Christopher Sabat and Scott McNeil. And almost every character has some interesting past with them too. Especially Goku and Vegeta. As I explained before, Goku was sent to Earth as a baby to eliminate all humans, but lost his memory from hitting his head really hard and then he thought he was always from Earth. And Vegeta was once obedient to Frieza but eventually he finds out that it was actually Frieza who blew up his and Goku's home planet. And they both also have a lot of funny moments and when Vegeta becomes a good guy, the interactions between them a lot of the time are hilarious. Even the characters I don't like very much like Chi-Chi and Bulma because they're kinda annoying, I don't hate them that and they could be way worse. My personal favourite saga in the show so far is the Frieza Saga where we see Goku take on Frieza and we see him turn into a Super Saiyan for the first time. And the fight between the two of them is maybe my favourite fight in the whole show and it goes on for like 4 hours. And I also like how it's Goku vs. my favourite villain in the show, Frieza. And so after he defeats Frieza there were a few more stories to be told and the one after that was the Android Saga where there are these android things with numbers as names like Android 18 and so on and so forth and we got introduced to a new character there named Trunks who's actually the son of Vegeta and Bulma. That honestly really surprised me when I first found out. And after that we got the Cell Saga which was more focused on Gohan, which was nice because I really like Gohan too. And we got to see him go into Super Saiyan 2 for the first time. The whole fight with Gohan and Cell is also amazing too. Another one of my favourite fights in the show. On the subject of action, while I don't think the action here is as good as say, Naruto, the action in here is still really great. And a lot the action in here has freeze framing fights. As in the characters would run towards each other and then when it showed someone hitting another, it would be one picture of it happening moving to one side. And while I thought it was a little distracting at the start, it grew on me and I ended up enjoying it and a lot of this action is good. So as I said, I'm starting to watch Season 8 of this show which is the start of the Majin Buu Saga. And as I said, this is where people are saying that this show starts to go downhill. But I haven't gotten to the point where they say that I'm just around the start where Gohan is meeting his future wife named Videl and we start to see him as the great Saiyaman. That's really as far I've gotten so far and I know I probably shoulda finished the show before I reviewed this but I wanted to get it out as fast as possible. And I'm about to get to the part where Buu is changing into different forms. That's the point there where people have their problems. And so everyone, those are my thoughts on Dragon Ball Z. I'm loving this show so far. Thank you all for reading, please comment down below to tell me what you think and please stay tuned for my next anime review hopefully coming up soon, Bleach.

1 comment: