Friday 11 April 2014

Ratatouille

Ratatouille was the second Pixar movie that was directed by Brad Bird after The Incredibles. What's the story? We have a rat named "Remy." He loves human food and loves learning how to make art out of special ingredients. Eventually Remy get's separated from his family and comes across one of his favourite human restaurants. By the way, this is taking place in France. The sad news is that the owner of that restaurant sadly passed away recently and is now under management of the villain of the movie. A very power hungry chief who I'm just going to say I have no idea what his plan is. Remy knows he can't speak to humans but he can at least help out with some of the dishes. Though he get captured by a janitor named "Linguini" who everyone thinks is the one who made the dishes who everyone seems to like. Linguini puts together that it was it was Remy who made the food and they form and partnership. Remy finds a way of controlling Linguini by pulling his hair and controlling his arms. Like a puppet Remy has total control over the chief and makes it looks like he's the one who's making these incredible dishes. From there a ton of stuff happens. There's a conspiracy about who really owns the restaurant, there's a chief that get's fired, there's a critic named "Anton Ego," or "Ego" who wants to come in and shut the restaurant by giving it a bad review, there's the reuniting Remy with his family, there's a moral about stealing. It's a ton. This movie makes me thinks a lot like the Incredibles. For example there's too much focus on Linguini who's just your everyday doofus. Nothing really makes him stand out from any other doofus in movies. There's a woman chief named "Colette Tatou" played really well by Janeane Garofalo who's pretty entertaining. Ego is one of the best designs I've ever in a C.G.I movie. The dead chief who used to own the restaurant comes back as a figment of Remy's imagination and I think that that's a pretty good idea. I actually only watched this movie for the first time ever only recently and actually before I decided to watch it I thought it was going to be a complete waste of time and I thought it was going to be like the worst Pixar movies ever. But actually no I was 100% wrong. I really loved it. I mean here's an example why. Every outside shot looks like something out of a beautiful painting. Just take one look at this movie and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. And once again the characters look very Brad Bird. They look like they were drawn first and then designed in a computer. Which gives a lot more personality. Speaking of personality, I'm going to show you probably one of the most perfect endings ever given to a movie. Ego goes to the restaurant to give the bad review. But as he taste the food he suddenly remembers how one day his mother fed him the exact same dish when he was a boy and loved. Then... well just watch this. I guarantee you'll enjoy it.
I can listen to that review over and over and never get tired of it. It one of my favourite movie scenes ever. So does this movie have flaws? Yeah! And I do think they are serious. But the stuff that's good, I can describe how good it is. So despite it's trouble Ratatouille is a brilliant movie that I'm going to be watching a lot more times in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment