Tuesday 26 December 2017

My top 10 films of 2017

Yet another year comes to an end this has been an incredible year for films. Just in general it's been amazing. For me at least anyway. And so, with even more and more anticipated movies coming out next year, I thought I'd talk about my top 10 movies of 2017. These will be counting all the movies I saw this year. Even movies I didn't review will be on this and even movies I never mentioned until now will be on here. And so let's begin and I can't wait to tell you all.
10. Justice League:

Starting us off at number 10 is the first of many comic book movies on this list. While, in my review, I explained why this movie has problems. I still had a lot of fun with this movie even if it didn't have a well structured story. I loved almost all the characters and I loved how this had the best on-screen version of Superman we've gotten since the 1970's. While the villain may have sucked and all the visuals weren't great, we still got a fun movie with main characters I enjoyed watching for a lot of it and, while it wasn't particularly funny, some jokes actually did make me laugh pretty good and the audience as well. Overall, this was a fun movie and I can't wait to see which DC.E.U movie is next and I'm excited to see what they do with Deathstroke. (Also, don't expect to see Wonder Woman on this. Wonder Woman is most likely the better movie, but, read my ranking of the 5 current DC.E.U movies and you'll get it.)
9. Baby Driver:

Okay, every film from here on is fantastic in my opinion, and at number 9 I have a pretty cool film that not a lot of people saw that I feel should have gotten more attention, and that's Baby Driver. This was directed by Edgar Wright and it's about this guy named Baby who's a driver trying to work off a debt he owes to another guy named Doc. He's also always got his earphones in his ears because of a tinnitus accident he's got that causes a ringing noise to always be in his ears. But when he meets a girl named Deborah, things begin to take a turn for the worse. I had heard a lot of great things about this movie before I saw it like from BHL Hudson said they were all loving it and saying it was one of the best films of the year. So, it got me so interested that I saw it for myself and, yeah, it's really, really good. I had a lot of fun with this with great acting and some funny scenes. I enjoyed the characters and was really loving the car chase scenes in this. I would definitely recommend that you go see it if you haven't yet.
8. Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi:

You probably expected this to be a little higher up on the list than here, but, no, I'm leaving Star Wars Episode VIII at number 8. How's that for convenience? But, yeah, for me personally, this is where I feel it deserves to go. While, a few days ago, when I did my review for this movie, I pointed out that this movie isn't perfect and there were problems with it, I still had a great time with the Last Jedi and I loved it. Sure, the pacing was dragged, but, aside from that sub-plot with Finn and Rose on that other planet, I loved everything outside of that. The directing was beautiful thanks to Rian Johnson and it has some of my favourite moments in all of Star Wars and I loved how there were so many surprises that I did not expect at all. Read my review if you haven't yet to know what I'm talking about.
7. Blade Runner 2049:

This movie is exactly like Baby Driver in that I discovered this movie from hearing great things about it and then being so interested that I went and saw it myself. And, to be absolutely honest, I was blown away by this movie. This is one of the best looking movies I've ever seen in my life with the colours, the camerawork, the sets and everything. It's all beautiful to look at. And the story was also pretty interesting with an officer named K investigating a case and having a guy named Deckard to help him. This is actually a sequel is a movie that was made in the 1980's. I haven't seen that yet, but, the YouTubers that I watched who reviewed this movie said it's a movie on it's own that didn't rely on the previous one. So, that made it easier because that meant I didn't really have to watch that movie to get it. All the acting's really great here, especially from Ryan Gosling, who's been amazing lately with this, the Nice Guys and La La Land last year (which I did see and I really liked it), and he's fantastic here, and Harrison Ford. He plays this sorta traumatised characters because, apparently, something from the first movie is still catching up to him. The rest are great too and I was super interested throughout the whole thing.
6. The Lego Batman movie:

This is one of the movies I spoke about before on my list of my top 5 films of the year so far I did in September. And my opinions are the same. I had a lot of fun with this movie and thought this had some of the best comedy I've seen in an animated movie in a long time. The animation's really good and I loved how well this movie poked fun of the previous versions of Batman. All the voice acting outstanding and the adult jokes are so hilarious that it made me and the audience laugh really loudly. Especially one scene at the start.
5. Logan:

This should probably be higher up on the list because, as I'm sure everyone can agree, this is a fantastic comic book movie and it has some of the best performances and best action in a comic book movie, but for me personally, I don't think I love it like everyone else. Still though, this was kind of a long time coming because this is finally the Wolverine movie everyone wanted to see for a long time. Hugh Jackman once again delivered a terrific performance as Wolverine and this was a really satisfying way to see him depart from this franchise. Besides that, the story, the directing by James Mangold, the other performances and the cinematography really make this final Wolverine film fantastic. I love how it really felt like a great way to see these characters go out one more time. Not to mention that this was an amazing R rated movie with plenty of blood, violence and swearing. This was so rewarding to see. I still say this is an incredible movie and I'm still excited to see the X-Men, especially Wolverine, in the M.C.U, if they're ever going to be.
4. War For The Planet Of The Apes:

This is another one of the movies I saw based on hearing a lot about it. I was curious to start watching these new Planet Of The Apes movies for a while, and after hearing a lot about this one in particular, I finally watched both of previous ones, then I watched this. And, like what I said about Blade Runner 2049, I was blown away with this movie and loved everything about it. Andy Serkis is the best motion capture actor I've ever seen and his performance as Caesar is the best I've ever seen from him. I also just love the character of Caesar and think he's really cool, but also sympathetic. This film has the best motion capture work I've ever seen and I was entertained throughout the whole thing. Matt Reeves did a phenomenal job directing this movie and the acting from everyone was top-notch. There wasn't one scene where I thought the movie was boring or C.G.I wasn't convincing because every single thing in this movie was breath-taking. I loved every minute of this movie and, if you're interested, I would highly suggest you go see this movie and the ones before it too like Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes and Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes.
3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2:

Now we get into the M.C.U movies, and at number 3 is Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. I really, really don't understand what people don't like about this movie. They all say it's really good, just not anything special. I don't get that at all. I loved every minute of this movie and was entertained throughout the whole thing. I loved the characters and performances and the way the story progressed. This was a great film for me to watch and I loved the different character interactions with some of the best visual effects I saw all year. I'm also one of the only few people who actually like the exploration of the character's past and loved the interactions with one of the best M.C.U villains ever with Ego. Yondu was also great and this was a super funny movie with the characters I loved from the first movie back.
2. Thor: Ragnarok:

Coming in close to number 1 at number 2 is the most recent M.C.U movie and one of the funniest comic book movies I've ever seen, Thor: Ragnarok. It has amazing visual effects, great directing from Taika Waititi, amazing comic book inspired ideas like the incorporation of Planet Hulk, some of the best comedy I've ever seen in a comic book movie and, I especially love it for giving me one of my favourite comic book movie characters of all time with Taika Waititi himself as Korg.

This is also the best version of Thor and Hulk I've seen in the M.C.U. I also loved Cate Blanchett as Hela and I thought she was one of the best M.C.U villains ever as well. I especially love how deep it went to change the M.C.U and it did it amazingly. I, overall, had a blast and I can't wait to see what happens with Thor and Hulk in Infinity War.
And my number 1 favourite film of 2017 is... Spider-Man: Homecoming:

I know, predictable to the very end. But, like I said before, I can't help what I thought originally and still think now, Spider-Man: Homecoming is my favourite movie of 2017. This is the best on-screen version of Spider-Man I've ever seen and I love how relatable it was. I related with Peter Parker so much here with the everyday high school problems he faced. I loved Jacob Batalon as Ned. He's one of the funniest parts of the movie and not once did he ever get annoying. It also has some of the best M.C.U comedy ever with, again, one of the best M.C.U villains ever with Michael Keaton as the Vulture. With almost every comic book movie this year, 2017 was the best comic book year of all time. It's been absolutely amazing. And Spider-Man: Homecoming is the best in my opinion. Like I also said in my top 5 films of the year so far list, this is the only movie I saw twice in the cinema and I'm glad it is because I adore this movie so much and I love how they got my favourite superhero ever perfect in a movie with a fantastic performance from Tom Holland. And so everyone, those are my top 10 favourite movies of 2017. Thank you all so much for reading and please comment down below to tell me your favourite movies of the year and tell me what you thought of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment