Tuesday 4 April 2017

Iron Fist: Season 1

Iron Fist is the newest M.C.U Netflix show after Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. I've watched, reviewed and loved all three of these and with another Defender about to be introduced into the M.C.U, I was really excited. So, let's talk about this. And yes, there will be spoilers, so if you haven't watched it yet, do and then read this. So, as I just said, I was really excited for this. Not only do I love the M.C.U, but I also love this Netflix corner of it. And so, did this show totally exceed my expectation? Well, not exactly. I liked it fine, but, yeah, like everyone else who's watched this show and reviewed it, I thought this was a mix-bag too. This is the first thing in the M.C.U that's been considered bad. That honestly surprised me when I started watching it, but when I started and kept going, it was starting to go up and down for me. I still liked it and I thought it was fine, but, wow, I could not believe the result of this. The story in this is so off and on. That's probably my biggest thought on it. I think it was really off and on. So basically, the main story, I guess, is that Danny Rand, played by Finn Jones, has returned to New York after being in a monastery called K'un-Lun for fifteen years. He wants to go back to his former company but no one's believing it's really him because he's been gone for so long and he sounds like a crazy person. He meets a friend named Colleen Wing, played by Jessica Henwick, who runs her own dojo and they're ideals seem to be the same. Also, the Rand company is being run by Danny's old friends named Joy and Ward who are siblings. And most of the show is that. Dealing with this company. That's probably my biggest problem. The fact that it seems like the show's main storyline is this company. Which is, well, boring. There's a lot of time dedicated to this Rand company and it's pretty boring. Also, Harold Meachum, who is Joy and Ward's father, who everyone thinks is dead, is actually not dead and the only person who know about this is Ward. So he goes to where he is every once in a while. And this builds up the character of him. Harold becomes a serious villain. And that's another sub-plot that was kinda boring. And whenever they do go back to that, you really just want to go back to Danny and Colleen because that's the best part about this show. That story with the two of them. Easily and no doubt about it. And the other best part is the Hand. Yeah, the Hand is back. If you remember, the Hand was in Daredevil: Season 2 and Madame Gao is back too. Another character that's back is Claire. She's been in every single M.C.U Netflix show meeting the other heroes and she's back. And that's great. It's great seeing her back like this in my opinion. And Hogarth is back too. She was that woman in Jessica Jones and seeing her back is the same. It's great to see her again and helping Danny. But, as I said, they keep going away from that to focus on this company that's boring and almost kinda hard to understand. Let's talk about the cast because that was something hasn't been getting very good reception too. Some of it is really good and some is not. Firstly, Finn Jones as Danny. He's received a lot of negativity because of his performance. And while his performance does have problems, I would say it's not his fault. The biggest problem with him is the writing. He spends way too much time telling people how he's the Iron Fist. That was too much. But his performance for the most part I do think is good, but the writing for him is not good. It's also shown that the character that he's playing is not compelling is the slightest. He seems pretty bland. Not all the time, but, yeah, it does get bland too at times. But, in my opinion, the best character and best actor in this whole show is Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing. She was fantastic in this show in my opinion she had the best action scenes. She has a very tortured and tragic backstory. And the biggest twist with her is that it turns out she's with the Hand but she thinks she's doing good in it when it's not doing any kind of good. She's definitely the best character in the show, without a doubt. The rest of cast can be really good and there are a lot of really good acting, but once or twice, the rest can be pretty bland too. But I think the rest do do try their best they can with what they're given. Although some of the character's actions at times are very predictable. Especially Bakuto. He's Colleen's old sensei and when it was shown that he's a villain, I totally saw it coming. I didn't predict he would be with the Hand, but I could tell that he was going to be a villain. Let's also talk about the action because that's some else that has received a lot of negativity. Firstly, I would say, the editing on it could be better. As well as some of the camerawork during those scenes and the choreography. That's the biggest thing. The choreography during these action scenes could be much better. Another thing with these scenes is the stunt doubles. Whenever Finn Jones is replaced with a stunt double, you can easily tell when he is. I would say the action is fine I guess, which isn't good enough. We all know the action in the previous Netflix shows were all fantastic. Especially in Daredevil: Season 2. Here, at times it's good and others, it just fine or even terrible. Another problem with that is the fact that Danny doesn't use the fist a lot. Every once in a while he will, but, man, for a show called Iron Fist, there isn't a lot of it and it can get boring when he doesn't. So yeah, this show does have a lot of flaws and there are some episodes that are dragged, but, that's kinda the same for all of the other Netflix shows. Because they all have thirteen episodes, they have to put in some filler and some episodes in all the shows are kinda dragged. Which is kinda boring at times. But, I would say for all the flaws in the show, if you really want to watch the show, wait until episode 6. Episode 6 is really fantastic in my opinion. That's when the show really does pick up. Also, I think that the best episode in the whole show is either 12 or 13. Those two episodes were absolutely amazing. Really fantastic in my opinion. The stories in them were really good and they were suspenseful and really great. Especially the ending of episode 13. Where Danny is having his last fight with Harold and Ward saves him. And the twist where it's revealed that K'un-Lun is gone, I thought was really good and it had my guessing. I would say that this is the weakest of all the Netflix M.C.U shows. It's not bad in my opinion. There are bad things in it. But I don't think it's bad. I think the Rotten Tomato score for it is too low. It got a 17%. That means people think it's on the same level as Batman & Robin and Fant4stic. That's not true. That is far from true. The show is much better than that. I heard that the critics who said that either watched the first episode or up to episode 5 or 6. That's not fair. Come on. They should have watched all of it and then did their reviews. Sure, there are flaws like I said. The main character is not the best. He could be written much better. I mean, maybe if they got some other actor, maybe it would have been better. I think Finn Jones did do a good job, but I would say this is the first time in all of the M.C.U where the casting of the main character hasn't been perfect and I'm talking about all of the M.C.U. They've always done a great job with that. Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Charlie Cox, Tom Holland and of course, the great Robert Downey Jr. Here though, not really. The writing for him could be much better. I would say that's what keeping it away from him doing a great performance. And so, that's my review of Iron Fist: Season 1. Give this show a chance. I would say go watch it, but wait until episode 6 to get going. This show is not as bad as people are saying. And I'm hoping for the Defenders, Danny is written better and the performance is better. Speaking of which, I'm really excited for the Defenders later this year. It's my most anticipated show of the year and I can't wait for all of the Netflix heroes to meet each other. That will be fantastic. I absolutely cannot wait. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Technically since the human body has a large amount of iron in it we are all iron fists so this guy isn't even special at all.

    ReplyDelete