Monday 17 April 2017

My top 5 comic book movie mentor performances

So with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 coming out in a little less than two weeks, I thought it would a cool idea to talk about more things comic book related. And so here I'm counting down my top 5 favourite mentor performances in comic book movies. Also, before we begin, I just want to say, you'll most likely disagree with what my number 5 choice is, but I'll explain when you read it. Anyway, let's begin and I hope you all like this.
5. Jeremy Irons/Alfred: This is what I was just talking about. The reason he's as number 5 is because I don't know if he is really a mentor, more like an assistant. But he does kinda have some mentor-ish like moments with Bruce, so I'm putting him here, but also because I had to write something. Anyway, with that out of  the way, while there have been great versions of Alfred out there, Jeremy Irons is my favourite live action version. He's already an amazing actor, and so having him be in a comic book movie and someone related to Batman this closely is really awesome. He isn't in Batman V Superman for very long, but he does great in the time he's given and I can't wait to see more of him in the Justice League movie and the next solo Batman movie. His conversions with Bruce in BVS were very well done and very well acted.
4. Michael Douglas/Hank Pym: Now moving onto Marvel, I have Michael Douglas as Hank Pym from Ant-Man. Like what I was saying for Jeremy Irons, Michael Douglas is already an fantastic actor and him being here was a brilliant move. He nailed it and you really feel sorry for his character, especially during the scene where he's explaining about his backstory to Scott and Hope and you totally buy it. Hearing his voice be the voice of such an iconic comic book character like Hank is terrific and seeing him back in Ant-Man and the Wasp will be awesome.
3. Tilda Swinton/The Ancient One: This could be a bit of a controversial one because, if you know anything about the Doctor Strange comics, then you know that the Ancient One is actually an old man but they changed it for the movie. But whatever way you look at it and whether you've seen the movie or not, you can't deny that Tilda Swinton did a fantastic job with playing the character. She really did an incredible job and really captured what makes the Ancient One so wise and even funny at times. And seeing her die was really sad even though I knew it was coming. Overall, she was great and if they do a sequel, it would be great to see her again. She won't come back to life but seeing her in flashbacks or other things like that would be so cool.
2. Samuel L. Jackson/Nick Fury: I actually forgot to out Samuel L. Jackson on my list of top 15 comic book hero performances which is why I made this list. But, come on, how can you not talk about this. In the first Iron Man, he shows up in the end credit scene and we see him recruiting Tony for the Avengers. With him showing up in so many other M.C.U movies, especially Captain America: The Winter Solider, it's almost impossible not to see him as this character. He's been great in all the movies he been in and I can't wait for more. Especially seeing what he does in Infinity War.
And my number 1 favourite comic book movie mentor performance is... Patrick Stewart/Professor X: And finally at number 1 I have Patrick Stewart as Professor X. Now, firstly, I'm not including James McAvoy here because, while he is amazing and fantastic as this character too, I'm only limiting this list to one performance per character. So I'm just including Patrick Stewart here. I mean, this is so ideal casting. Seeing how he finally retired along with Hugh Jackman with Logan after 17 years as well last month is so incredible and so sad but it had to happen eventually and he did fantastically. He's done amazingly for all the movies before that and he is my choice for the number 1 best comic book movie performance. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment