Monday 20 June 2016

X-Men: Apocalypse

And now I've finally done it. X-Men: Apocalypse. I finally watched this movie just yesterday and I was very, very excited to see it. I didn't actually see it cinemas because it's gone from the cinemas now but I managed to find it online and watch it there. Firstly, I just want to say, this was one of my most anticipated movies all year and now I've seen it and here I'm going to review it. And, yes. In case your wondering, I will be talking about the whole story so if you haven't seen it yet, go see it, then come and read this. Another thing I want to mention is something that I'm really surprised about. And that's the reviews that this is getting. I am blown away by the negative reviews people are saying about this movie. Right now it has a 48%. I absolutely cannot believe it. In my opinion, and a lot of other people, I think that this is a great movie and one of the best X-Men movies of them all. What's the story? It starts off in Egypt many years ago with Apocalypse himself being transferred to a new and younger body. Some of the people there try to kill him but some other people save him and the place begins to crumble and fall apart and Apocalypse is buried under a lot of rubble. It then turns to the '80's and we see we a lot of things happening. Mystique, once again played by Jennifer Lawrence, is helping lost mutants to someplace where they can be safe. One of these mutants is Nightcrawler, played by Kodi Smit-McPhee and she brings him to Xavier's school. We also see Charles Xavier, played again by James McAvoy, who's teaching at the school with Hank McCoy, again played by Nicholas Hoult. The three of them all talk about Magneto, again played by Michael Fassbender, who's living in Germany trying to live a normal life and he has a wife and daughter. We then cut to Moira MacTaggert, played by Rose Byrne, who was in X-Men: First Class, who's in Egypt investigating something. A few men are there trying to find Apocalypse. they say some chant when they do and Apocalypse wakes up. Moira takes photos of it and takes it back to where she was. One day at work, Magneto saves a man from being crushed by something machine with his powers and people figure out who he is and call the police who come to his house and ask him to come with them. But when they let his daughter go, one of the police accidently shoots an arrow at both his wife and daughter which kills both of them. Magneto gets angry and uses his daughter's necklace to kill all the men. He then goes to the factory where he works to try to kill all the men there too. Apocalypse then wanders around Egypt observing how everything he once knew has changed completely. He also meets Storm, played by Alexandra Shipp. She takes him back to her house and he gives her more power than she already has which is controlling the weather. Both of them then go to that place with the mutants that Mystique was bringing them. There they meet another mutant named Psylocke and Apocalypse does the same to her by giving her more power. Her power is creating energy weapons from her hands. They then meet another mutant named Angel who has big wings who Nightcrawler fought before and Apocalypse makes his wings metal and is able to shoot spikes out of them. The three of them go to the factory where Magneto is and Apocalypse kills all the men he was about to kill and he recruits him too. We also meet Scott Summer/Cyclops, played by Tye Sheridan who's now at the school as well and has met Jean Grey, played by Sophie Turner. Hank also gives Scott some red sunglasses that can help him control his power of laser eyes. Charles and Alex Summers, played by Lucas Till, who's Scott's brother, who was also in X-Men: First Class, going to see Moira about the pictures and to talk about Apocalypse. They bring her back to the school and they try to use Cerebro to find Apocalypse but when they do, Apocalypse uses his own power to get inside Charles' head and cause a disturbance in Cerebro which also knocks him out. Alex destroys Cerebro and they bring them out where Apocalypse and his servants are waiting. Magneto uses his power to bring Charles to them because of his wheelchair. Alex tries to shoot them with his beam but they escape before his can and he accidently destroys the whole school. We then get another amazing scene with Quicksilver. You all remember the one we got from X-Men: Days of Future Past. Well now we have a new scene and it is way better than the first one in my opinion. He manages to get everyone out except for Alex who was killed in the explosion. Some men in a helicopter then arrive and knock almost everyone out except Scott, Jean and Nightcrawler. The men take some of the people like Mystique, Hank, Moira and Quicksilver onto the helicopter. Scott, Jean and Nightcrawler manage to get on and it turns out that they're being taken to Alkali Lake. And the men are being led by William Stryker. They take them to a cell and Scott, Jean and Nightcrawler try to find them as well as trying to get a lock on where Charles could be with Jean's power. While walking around the place, they then walk into a room with a machine and something that looks like a small cell. They hear something coming from it that sounds like growling. Some men walk into the room and Jean uses her power to open it. And when she does, Wolverine walks out with gadgets on him. And... well, watch this.
After that, they get the others out and they all manage to escape. They find some uniforms and a jet and they use it to get to Egypt where Apocalypse is and his servants. He tries to use his power to get Charles to tell everyone on the plant to fear him but Charles fights back and tells everyone to stay calm for the moment. Apocalypse then uses a huge amount of power to destroy everything and create a pyramid and now he's trying to transfer into Charles' body. The X-Men manage to get through it and we get our awesome climax between all of them. And during the fight, Nightcrawler manages to get Charles out but while the transfer was happening, Charles was beginning to lose his hair and that's why he's bald. And while they all manage to escape in a building nearby, Charles tries to get inside Apocalypse's head again but he doesn't have enough strength to do it so he tries to call Jean to help him and we get an absolutely awesome scene where Jean is in both their heads and she uses the phoenix power for the first time ever and it's done properly. Unlike what we saw in X-Men 3. She manages to get Apocalypse out and every single mutant begins to attack him including his servants and they manage to finally kill him. We then see Storm and others joining the good side. Later Magneto and Jean are rebuilding the school and we see that everything is good. And the last scene is actually seeing Mystique and Hank training Scott, Jean, Storm, Nightcrawler and Quicksilver with robot Sentinels and them getting their proper X-Men costumes. And the movies ends with Magneto leaving. We also get an after-credit scene with men from the Essex Corps coming into the Alkali Lake bunker where everyone was and taking the Weapon X serum as well as x-rays of Wolverine's Adamantium skeleton. And yeah, that's what happens. And I'm going to say straight up right now, I think that this is an amazing movie. I would say it's right up there with X-Men 2 and X-Men Days of Future Past in terms of which is the best X-Men movie. And I guess Deadpool too because that is technically an X-Men movie. There are so many amazing things to talk about this it's hard to know where to even start. The actors are once again fantastic. McAvoy and Fassbender as well play wonderfully off each other again. And the new characters are also great. Now let's talk about the villain. Apocalypse played by Oscar Isaac. Oscar Isaac, I think is a fantastic actor. I absolutely loved him in The Force Awakens as Poe Dameron and that was my favourite role that he had ever done. And what do I think of him here? He once again amazing. The voice audio they added to his voice when he talked was so cool and I think that he was just an overall fantastic villain for this movie. While a lot of people take issue with his design though, I think that it absolutely worked for this kind of movie. Next to Magneto, this is the best X-Men villain we've see so far. And there's also the new characters like Scott, Jean, Nightcrawler and all the rest who are all really well portrayed and I think they work off each other really well too. And get this. They even make a joke where they go to see Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi because, well yeah, it's the '80's and that's when it came out and that really made me laugh. Especially with what they all say after they come out of it. That really made me laugh hard. And why do I have a weird feeling like they did that Star Wars joke because Oscar Isaac was in this? Anyway, the action in this is also amazing. It probably has the most action heavy climax in all of the X-Men movies. And as for that Wolverine scene, that was awesome. I was really excited to see it and overall, I was just really satisfied by it. It was once again another amazing performance of Wolverine by Hugh Jackman and I can't wait for Wolverine 3 next year. The effects are also amazing to look at. They absolutely know how to do amazing effects now. Any kind of weird C.G.I is not here. They also know how to keep the movie very entertaining and heart-felt. There was that amazing scene with Magneto in the forest and you do feel sorry for him. That's something Brian Singer knows how to do with these X-Men movies. Make them both entertaining and interesting so you're never once bored while watching them. Speaking of Brian Singer, his directing in this is incredible. He's an absolute expert when it comes to directing amazing X-Men movies. Yeah, this is something that a lot of people, including myself are disagreeing on when it comes to the critics reviews of this movie. I mean we can't believe the negativity that this movie is getting. This is an amazing movie. That said, is this a flawless movie? No, unfortunately. There are a few problems in it. My biggest issue is the first 30-ish minutes in it. Don't get me wrong. I liked it I suppose. I mean I was entertained by it and I was interested, but I think that maybe for that time, the movie wasn't entirely grabbing me. I think it was a small bit too slow and not enough things were happening to keep up with all the things that was going to be happening in the film. It also had a pretty weird tone during the whole Cerebro scene. And by that I mean the fact that something just sorta happens and while it's going on and I think the tone was a bit out of place. And by that I mean the whole Cerebro part and Apocalypse and his servants taking Charles was a very serious tone and then we get to a very funny and entertaining scene with Quicksilver. I'm not saying the scene was bad I'm just saying I thought it was a little all over the place with the tone. That said. The Quicksilver scene was amazing. Much better than the one in Days of Future Past in my opinion. It's set to a new song, it's on a bigger scale and overall it was a very fun and funny scene. And my last problem with the movie is the whole Apocalypse motivation thing. It wasn't bad, but like I said, I just don't think that it was entirely grabbing in the first half hour. But aside from those few problems, I absolutely love this movie. So far 2016 has been a really interesting year for comic book movies. We've had 2 that are absolutely amazing and are universally loved by everyone like me...


... and we've also had one that is really mixed but I find to be good-ish and underrated.

And now we have another movie that is absolutely amazing. So that was my review of X-Men: Apocalypse. And definitely watch this movie. It is amazing. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you thought and if you have seen the movie, please tell me what you thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment