Wednesday 1 June 2016

Blade

Yeah, this may seem out of nowhere, but here I'm going to review the movie, Blade. In case you don't know, Blade is actually another Marvel character who's half human, half vampire who hunts other vampires. I only started watching the movies yesterday. And get this, this movie and it's 2 sequels were made by New Line Cinema and apparently they recently gave the rights to the character back to Marvel studios and so that means we may see some version of him in the M.C.U like maybe a Netflix TV show. Another thing is that apparently this is the movie that got comic book movies popular again in 1998 when it was released. One last thing to mention is that this was actually the very first R-Rated comic book movie. Yeah. You may think that Deadpool was the first, but no, it was this one. Anyway, let's get to the story. And no, I'm not going to say the whole story. What's the story? It opens up with Blade's birth and his mother slowly bleeding to death. And years later some guy is being taken to club but it turns out it's filled with vampires. The man is about to be killed but then he's saved by Blade, played by Wesley Snipes. And Blade begins to kill every single vampire really awesomely. I mean the action in this movie is the best part. And the last vampire he tries to kill is named Quinn but then a bunch of men arrive and take Quinn away while Blade escapes. In the hospital, Quinn is being examined by 2 doctors. One of them is named Karen, played by N'Bushe Wright. As they're examining Quinn, he suddenly jumps and bites the other doctor then he chases and bite Karen but then Blade shows up and fights Quinn but then he gets away. As Blade is about to let Karen die, he remembers his mother then bring her to his hideout where there's another man there named Whistler, played by Kris Kristofferson, who uses garlic to try and help her. While that's happening, we cut to a vampire counsel in a room talking and then we meet the villain of the movie named Deacon Frost, played by Steven Dorff, who feels like they should rule the humans but the counsel doesn't think they should. Just then Karen wakes up and then sees Blade being injected by something. Whistler then explains what's going on. Apparently they've been hunting vampires for years and that Blade needs to have that injection every 24 hours or else his vampire side will take over him completely. And the rest, I won't spoil. So judging by the fact that this came out the year after Batman & Robin and having it be this good is really impressive. First, let's go over a few of the flaws I have. Yeah, it's not a flawless movie. There are a few problems. My biggest problem is that I feel that some things in this are kinda complicated. I mean I did tell you a quick summary of the plot but there's a few other things that I did have a hard time understanding. O.K. So Frost's plan is to drain 12 vampires of their life  and absorb Blade's blood to become a god. O.K. Fine that's understandable. But there is also another subplot involving some serum thing that Blade and Karen are trying are trying to create and there's another serum and all that, I found pretty hard to follow. I mean I didn't get it. Another problem I have is that there are 2 or 3 parts in this that have a lot of talking in it and some bits of that were kinda boring. And my last problem is that I feel some things don't entirely make sense. Like, there's this thing with Blade and Karen discovering a place with a lot of ripped pages out of a thing called the vampire bible. And that's following a scene where Frost is in a library. I didn't understand that. And there are a few things that are never explained like when Karen makes the serum and it's never explained how Frost found Blade's hideout. But now let's get the absolute great things in this movie. First off, the best thing in this movie is Wesley Snipes as Blade. Oh, my god. This guy was awesome as Blade. He was so cool and he was an awesome fighter. And just the way he spoke was also amazing. The fight scenes are also fantastic. The best one being the last fight with Blade vs. all those men and Frost. And on top of that, that R-Rating really does mean something. There's blood all over the place, all sorts of bad words everywhere, decapitation, people exploding and every other disturbing fight things like that, you can think of. And the other characters are also good. Like Karen, Whistler and Frost himself is a cool villain. Very awesome and very hateful. Also, without spoiling anything, I'm just going to say, there's a scene in this movie that happens that I was able to predict. I won't give it away, but let's just say that Blade meets a person and I was able to predict it and what would happen to that specific character and how it would happen. I won't give away who it is. But I was able to see it coming. But I'm not saying that it was a bad thing. I just thought I would bring it up. And finally, the last thing I want to mention that I enjoyed here is the ending. At the end of every comic book movie, we expect to know what's going to happen. The hero and some person they're in love with kiss and the movie ends. But here, no. Blade and Karen don't get together and I thought that that was really interesting to see them turning the cliché around. So yeah, those are my thoughts on Blade. Just to say, no I am not going to be reviewing it's sequels. But for this one, it's a great movie and you should most definitely check it out. It's cool, it got people into comic book movies and it's got a lot of incredible scenes in it. And get this, apparently this movie had David S. Goyer and Steven Norrington as part of it's crew. And those 2 were part in other comic book movies like Batman V Superman and a few others. And so yeah, like I said, definitely see his movie, unless you're under 18 then don't because that's what it's rated. And I would definitely like to see Marvel do something with the character now that they have the rights to it like something on Netflix or something. And so, thanks for reading and please comment down below.

No comments:

Post a Comment