Saturday 15 July 2017

Cars 3

So everyone, we've arrived at the latest Pixar movie and a movie that I wasn't anticipating that much. I was a little because it's a Pixar movie and I'm always excited for those. But, from what I was hearing about it and seeing from the trailers, it didn't look like anything that interesting. And so, what did I think of it? Yeah, it's pretty much what I was expecting. It was just kind of an "eh" kinda movie. Nothing special or really great in it. Which is so strange because you all know I love Pixar movies. But the Cars franchise has always been known for being the lesser side of Pixar. And this is an example. I didn't hate this movie, but I don't know if I can say I liked it. I liked parts of it. But it just wasn't anything special as I just said. And yes, I'm going to do a spoiler free part of the review and then I'm going to do spoilers later on. What's the story? It opens up with Lightning about to do a race again and he's still winning and he's still at the top. But then a new car named Storm is now beating him in the races being a car with new technology being inside him with new training and modifications to new models of racing cars. Soon more new modelled cars are coming in and making the old cars retire or get fired. When Lightning tries to hard in a race against Storm, he burns his engine and crashes. Some time later he's back to normal but the colour on him is gone and people around him are saying that he should retire. When he gets an idea to try to use the new simulator to get faster, he's brought to some new centre to train. He then meets two cars named Cruz and Sterling who want him to train normally and build it up more and more but he feels like this isn't helping him. Especially with how Cruz is training him. And that's where I'm going to stop. So, let's go over the things I liked. Well, with this being a Pixar movie, the animation is of course amazing. I wouldn't say it's some of Pixar's, or even Disney's best, but it's still great animation. There were some characters with interesting backstories and the voice acting is, again, amazing. That's something Pixar always gets right too. Also, there are times when the cars are doing some new moves and things like that during the races and some of them I thought were kinda cool. And I think what I liked the most was something to do with Doc. I'll get into that in the spoiler section. I really liked that. Okay, that's what I liked. Now, what I did not like here. Firstly, and really the biggest problem is the story. It's so dumb. Not only is it super predictable, but a lot of it is also really boring. I knew exactly what was going to happen for about 97% of it. There were one or two twists, but they weren't very big or mind blowing. And the whole dilemma with Lightning and how whether or not he should actually retire or not wasn't that interesting. I could easily tell where it was gonna go. It also really slows down a lot. And I do mean a lot. There's a lot of slow pacing in this movie and, where some of it can be interesting and entertaining, it's just not that engaging. And that issue is the same with some relationship that Lightning is forming with some fan to help her. And some of it is nice and heart-warming, but it's mostly just bland, predictable, been done before and it's just not interesting. I don't want to make it sound like I didn't like this movie, it's just disappointingly a bit hollow. They do try to make an interesting story with Lightning and Doc, and I would say that that mostly does work but that doesn't entirely save the movie from the rest of it and what it's trying to do. I would say that with all the things I liked and disliked, this really ends up as a very middle of the road movie, which just isn't good enough from a film studio like Pixar. I think we can all agree that the Cars franchise is definitely the lest of all of Pixar. Not awful and there are some good things in it. I didn't dig it that much. Hopefully the other Pixar movie coming out this year, Coco, is even better and I can't wait for that. For this, I would say I was entertained for the most part but it's far from Pixar's best work. It's not bad and there are somethings to cling to here, but I just couldn't get that into it. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.
Spoilers:
Okay, firstly, I would say the biggest spoiler is the biggest thing I liked here and that was the connection that Lightning is keeping with Doc. Because, if you remember in Cars 2 if you saw that movie, they showed that somehow Doc died, and here, they actually make a really nice emotional connection there. They show how much Doc meant to him and they show that Doc training him was the best part of his life. And that scene I thought was really heart warming and worked. The ending when Lightning was decided he was going to become Cruz's new trainer and teach her like how Doc taught him was what I meant when I said it was nice, but not really compelling. It was also kinda cool to see Chick Hicks back again, although it seemed a little forced. There's also that scene in that demolition yard and that was kinda weird and almost kinda outta nowhere. And I didn't like how Lightning the just yelled at Cruz and was really mean to her. And the last real one is when we meet Smoky who was Doc's old friend. And I liked him and those other old cars as well. I thought they added something to the movie and they were one of the best parts. I thought they were one of the best and enjoyable moments. And so everyone, those are really the spoilers for Cars 3. I don't dislike this movie, but, as I said, it's far from Pixar's best movie ever. Go see it yourself and draw your own conclusion, but you're most likely going to have problems with it yourself. I guess I sorta liked it, I just didn't find it all that engaging. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment